This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google Glass

Comments

• http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/22/4013406/i-used-google-glass-its-the-future-with-monthly-updates
    Let me quote the article:
    Is it ready for the everyone right now? Not really. Does the Glass team still have huge distance to cover in making the experience work just the way it should every time you use it? Definitely.
    That's precisely how I feel about Glass as of right now. However I am open minded about it such that when they refine it more, I would seriously consider it. I never was one who said they would never get Glass (despite what some may interpret my prior postings as). I just said that it's not much more than a toy in its current incarnation. The potential is there; I just want to wait until more of it is realized before I plunk down any cash on the thing.
  • http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/22/4013406/i-used-google-glass-its-the-future-with-monthly-updates
    Is it ready for the everyone right now? Not really. Does the Glass team still have huge distance to cover in making the experience work just the way it should every time you use it? Definitely.
    That's precisely how I feel about Glass as of right now. However I am open minded about it such that when they refine it more, I would seriously consider it. I never was one who said they would never get Glass (despite what some may interpret my prior postings as). I just said that it's not much more than a toy in its current incarnation. The potential is there; I just want to wait until more of it is realized before I plunk down any cash on the thing.
    is it ready for everyone right now? No. It's only ready for awesome people.
  • Certainly it's a significant factor. You wouldn't want it if it looked like a big dick on your forehead, probably.
    Yes, appearance could be a significant negative factor if it looked terrible, but it's not likely to play much of a role by way of positive justification.
    This thing is 5 years away from prime time. I'll happily let the early adopters pay way too much for it and work the bugs out of it before I'll bother to try it. I'm in no hurry for it.
    I doubt it will take that long.
    Thats what your taking away from that, really?

• edited February 2013
    No, it's only ready for:
    • Developers
    • People with more money than sense
    Let's see what some developers can do to make it truly sing. Given the current demonstrated applications, it's hard to make the case that it's that much better than any alternatives. There is also a very strong chance that, in this stage of its existence, it can be a total flop. Tablets have been around since the '90s, but they've all been flops up until the iPad came out, for example. Sure, they were awesome toys back then, and if I had plenty of disposable money back then, I would've wanted one too, but they weren't very useful yet. If the state of tablets now, where I do have money to buy one if I wanted to, were the same as it was in the 90's, I'd probably still say, "yeah, it would be cool to have one, but I honestly have no use for one, given its current capabilities." Part of my thing about Glass is, given its current capabilities, I honestly have no use for it as of right now. However, I am not you, or Andrew, or Rym, or some of the other folks here who have made arguments that they do have a use for some of its current capabilities (and even in the case of you and Rym, I'm not sure if they offer the capabilities you're looking for out of the box except for the GPS HUD while bike riding, which I admit is useful enough for me, but not at $1500/pop).

I have also been burned by jumping on the wrong tech bandwagon several times in the past, so that also makes me extra cautious about anything that costs significant money until I feel like it's actually got a chance of succeeding and not being a flop.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • Certainly it's a significant factor. You wouldn't want it if it looked like a big dick on your forehead, probably.
    Yes, appearance could be a significant negative factor if it looked terrible, but it's not likely to play much of a role by way of positive justification.
    This thing is 5 years away from prime time. I'll happily let the early adopters pay way too much for it and work the bugs out of it before I'll bother to try it. I'm in no hurry for it.
    I doubt it will take that long.
    It'll take at LEAST that long to reach a price point I'm willing to pay for it. Look at how inflated tablets still are if you want better than terrible specs.
  • "IT'S LIKE AN ARTIFACT FROM THE 1960’S, SOMEONE TRYING TO IMAGINE WHAT 2013 WOULD BE LIKE"

Translation: It appeals to hipsters. See: this thread.
    No. What he's saying is that, if you were to ask someone in the 1960's what technology in 2013 would be like, they would say "Flying cars, robot maids, and computerized glasses".
  • "IT'S LIKE AN ARTIFACT FROM THE 1960’S, SOMEONE TRYING TO IMAGINE WHAT 2013 WOULD BE LIKE"

Translation: It appeals to hipsters. See: this thread.
    No. What he's saying is that, if you were to ask someone in the 1960's what technology in 2013 would be like, they would say "Flying cars, robot maids, and computerized glasses".
    I think he's talking about the aesthetics of the physical device, given the context.
  • That Verge article is really good, as is the video that went with it.

Google Glass is cool. I think it'll be a top-rate product when it goes on sale later this year. It isn't an entire platform, it's a linking device, connecting your face to Google services via your phone. That doesn't take the same effort as developing Android from scratch, so I don't think it'll take Glass five generations to get to where Android is now.

As long as Glass is a one-off purchase, and doesn't have ongoing costs like additional data plans or service charges, I'll probably buy one. I'm not an early adopter by any means
  • Yeah, Glass won't take five generations to get "good." Two or three at most, and maybe less depending on the quality of the consumer version released later this year. There's also a possibility that the consumer version will be significantly cheaper than $1500 due to economies of mass production. If it's released later this year at a $200-$300 price point, there's a very good chance I'll put it on my birthday or Christmas list. If it's a little higher, I'll need to think about it, but I wouldn't rule it out. If it stays at $1500 though, it's still not worth it for what it does.
  • Years != generations, but yeah I agree. I don't think it'll take 5 generations to get good. I think it MAY take 5 generations to get affordable.
  • edited February 2013
    I think Lou was talking product generations, not human generations. Still, I think $1000 for this now is affordable considering what you're getting.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I think so, too. Still, product generations are not always annual. Often they're not. They're not with iPhone, for example.
  • RymRym
    edited February 2013
    I don't think it's even product generations that will make the massive difference.

The main reasons I want to get on board now are:

1. Out-of-the-box functionality is already useful to me personally.
    2. Most features I want require only software, not updated hardware.
    3. I want to get at the dev kit and make something.
    4. If I'm going to make something, I need practical use experience.

I'm submitting my applications tonight, reeking of effort. My tax refund will cover the cost of this handily if they accept me. =P
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Years != generations, but yeah I agree. I don't think it'll take 5 generations to get good. I think it MAY take 5 generations to get affordable.
    Depends on your definition of affordable. Looking at what the Glass hardware appears to be, I think its current high cost seems to be more related to the limited production run vs. the actual cost of the hardware. The most expensive component is arguably whatever display tech they use and I can't imagine that being super expensive. Everything else: GPS chip, Bluetooth/WiFi chip, digital camera, etc., can probably be sold in bulk for well under $500 and still turn a profit as it's all pretty cheap commodity hardware. The only question is the display.
  • I think Lou was talking product generations, not human generations. Still, I think $1000 for this now is affordable considering what you're getting.
    I still don't consider $1000 to be "affordable" for what you're getting with Glass, given how everything in it except for maybe the display is relatively cheap commodity hardware. Google itself has stated they expect the consumer version to cost about the same as a smartphone, so that basically means anywhere in the $100-$600 range or so.
  • edited February 2013
    I think Lou was talking product generations, not human generations. Still, I think $1000 for this now is affordable considering what you're getting.
    Not so much. You can build your own for less than half, and once glass is out in the wild, I give it five minutes before you can pick up it's firmware on the web and install it on your own device. It may or may not be ugly as sin, depending on your skills, but it'll effectively be Google glass.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I don't think it's likely that material cost will be the issue. It'll be how/where they segment their market. They'll be able to charge a ransom for a long time.
  • I don't think it's likely that material cost will be the issue. It'll be how/where they segment their market. They'll be able to charge a ransom for a long time.
    True, but Google doesn't want to seem to do that. It's not part of their MO (though what they're charging for that new Chromebook does make me wonder), and they are on the record as stating they want it to cost about the same as a smartphone.
  • This is the weirdest argument. Lou is expressing moderate doubt and some cautions about price-point, and Scrym responded by more or less calling him a luddite. Were money no object, I think we would all be first adapters, but it's just too expensive for some of us.
  • I think we can all agree this thread has gone to shit.
  • That Verge article is hilarious
  • Doesn't it require an android device to work? My smartphone is subsidized. I'm not interested in a $500 display no matter how fancy. $150 would be my max outlay for this.
  • Doesn't it require an android device to work? My smartphone is subsidized. I'm not interested in a $500 display no matter how fancy. $150 would be my max outlay for this.
    Apparently it works with either Android or iPhone, which it communicates with via Bluetooth. Not sure if it requires any sort of custom app on either device to work, however, or if both devices natively export whatever required functionality is needed over Bluetooth.
  • I think the idea is that it's using your smartphone more as a router than for additional functionality. It can apparently run off of wifi on it's own.
  • edited February 2013
    Still, that makes it a fancy display, not a head computer.

Ninjad by Sonic. Is that true?
    Post edited by muppet on
  • The device gets data through Wi-Fi on its own, or it can tether via Bluetooth to an Android device or iPhone and use its 3G or 4G data while out and about. There’s no cellular radio in Glass, but it does have a GPS chip.
  • Every post you make about how Glass is no good only serves to increase the sourness of the grapes.
  • If its got its own logic that's something to consider, but the lack of 3G still makes me not want to shell out smartphone price for it.
  • If its got its own logic that's something to consider, but the lack of 3G still makes me not want to shell out smartphone price for it.
    Think about it this way -- no 3G means no having to pay for yet another data plan.