This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google Glass

Comments

• If its got its own logic that's something to consider, but the lack of 3G still makes me not want to shell out smartphone price for it.
    Think about it this way -- no 3G means no having to pay for yet another data plan.
    But if the whole purpose is portability and mobility, and I have to tether it to a phone, then I don't want to pay the price of a second smartphone for it.
  • If its got its own logic that's something to consider, but the lack of 3G still makes me not want to shell out smartphone price for it.
    Think about it this way -- no 3G means no having to pay for yet another data plan.
    But if the whole purpose is portability and mobility, and I have to tether it to a phone, then I don't want to pay the price of a second smartphone for it.
    View it as a smartphone accessory then, like a Bluetooth earpiece on steroids. That's how I view it anyway. You can then keep it when you change smartphones, so that amortizes the cost somewhat over its lifetime.
  • In theory sure. In practice the new glass will have thrice the processing power and yours will be crawling. I don't know anybody who spends hundreds on accessories. That person is not me. I get the novelty, I just don't think it's worth the premium nor as revolutionary as hyped. It's certainly cool but I don't need AR projected on my retina that badly.
  • The future is a central "phone" that houses the processing and long-range communications. You'd obviously wear a wristwatch display, glasses display, and possibly bone mic, all integrated via short-range wireless.

If you need a big screen for some reason, you pick up your tablet, and it just integrates with the other components seamlessly. Need more processing power? Sit down at your desk at home, where your desktop powerhouse now becomes part of the little cloud floating around your body.
  • edited February 2013
    Personal Area Networks have been a buzzword since the 90s. Who needs a wrist display? Watches are an anachronism to most under 30. I'll believe it when it happens.

And when it does happen I've no interest in quintupling my outlay for tech devices.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • I think the notion of a wristwatch display is a bit of a joke, IMHO, for most people. I do own a couple of watches, however. One is purely a fashion accessory and the other is a basic exercise digital watch which I wear at the gym as it's more convenient to look at it than digging my cell phone out of my pocket when I want to time my exercises. For the most part, I use my cell phone as my watch, kind of like the pocket watches of old (which also make nice fashion accessories, IMHO). Wristwatches are also kinda nice when flying on commercial airlines if only because you need to have your cellphone turned off during the first and last few minutes of the flight and it's sometimes nice to have a rough idea as to how much longer it's going to be. :)

Certainly, the need for a wristwatch display is diminished when paired with a glasses display and I can't see the need for having both, with the glasses display trumping the wristwatch display in usability and functionality. No need for a bone mic either if the glasses display also includes a decent mic. My $30 bluetooth headphones include a built-in mic that's at least as good as anything I can get on a stand-alone Bluetooth earpiece.

Now, there may be special cases where you may need all those other additional displays, mics, etc., but a fully functional glasses display should be sufficient for the vast majority of people who need/want a wearable display. Those with enough disposable income and nothing better to spend it on are welcome to Borg themselves up to their hearts' content, though. Me, I'll probably wait for Google Glasses v2 (or consumer release v1, perhaps, as opposed to the current developer release) or something, when it has some more useful applications and its pricing is along the lines of a typical smartphone, as Google claimed was their goal.
  • There is maybe no need for display in wrist, but when I thought about possible alternative control methods than voice for something like Google Glass, there could be worse ideas than some kind of touch pad on your wrist.
  • The point is you have an array of IO devices and a separate array of functional devices all integrated in a wireless cloud around your person.

You use the interface that suits your current task.
  • Theres a touchpad on the side of the glasses, which is a pretty good place for it.

• You use the interface that suits your current task.
    I bet you say that to all the ladies
  • edited February 2013
    The point is you have an array of IO devices and a separate array of functional devices all integrated in a wireless cloud around your person.

You use the interface that suits your current task.
    Indeed. Similarly, there is no need to acquire an interface device if none of your tasks are particularly suited to them, unless you want that device simply for the sake of having it (i.e., as a fashion accessory of sorts). Glass right now is basically a fashion accessory, at least to me, as it doesn't offer anything useful for any tasks I do. In the future, that may change, however.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • Personal Area Networks have been a buzzword since the 90s. Who needs a wrist display? Watches are an anachronism to most under 30. I'll believe it when it happens.

And when it does happen I've no interest in quintupling my outlay for tech devices.
    Turn your whole arm into the equivelent of an led tattoo. No watch factor.
  • "Who needs a wrist display?" That's like asking "who needs a flying car?" We need it because it's fucking awesome. Haven't you watched spy movies?

I'm interested in the potential interplay between my Streamer and Glass. The only thing keeping me from totally hands-free audio is the need to physically manipulate my phone. Pressing a button on my chest is trivial - rooting around my phone can be annoying.

• /me Looks at QR code

"OK Glass, bookmark that."

Also, just noticed in the first episode of GitS:SAC. The guy reading the book that is nothing but pages of barcodes (but failing because of security measures). That is possible with Glass.
  • edited February 2013
    Very nice writeup at the Verge. I must say that I'm very impressed with the look of the device but think that for it to be really invisible (i.e. not look like a dorky bluetooth ear wart) it needs to shrink by a factor of about four which, given normal progress, should take about three years. So until then...
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • edited February 2013
    /me Looks at QR code
    Google Glass boots into factory reset mode :p
  • Very nice writeup at the Verge. I must say that I'm very impressed with the look of the device but think that for it to be really invisible (i.e. not look like a dorky bluetooth ear wart) it needs to shrink by a factor of about four which, given normal progress, should take about three years. So until then...
    I don't care how dorky it looks. A jetpack is still a jetpack. If you would pass on flying because it would cramp your style, I guess you will miss board game night at the cloud palace.
  • Very nice writeup at the Verge. I must say that I'm very impressed with the look of the device but think that for it to be really invisible (i.e. not look like a dorky bluetooth ear wart) it needs to shrink by a factor of about four which, given normal progress, should take about three years. So until then...
    Now your entirely reasonable reason is sour grapes and stupid because you don't want exactly the same thing that other people want, and you are therefore a stupid Luddite. How's it feel, man?

• edited February 2013
    I don't care how dorky it looks. A jetpack is still a jetpack. If you would pass on flying because it would cramp your style, I guess you will miss board game night at the cloud palace.
    Not having to lift your phone to take pictures != flying with a jet pack.
  • /me Looks at QR code

"OK Glass, bookmark that."

Also, just noticed in the first episode of GitS:SAC. The guy reading the book that is nothing but pages of barcodes (but failing because of security measures). That is possible with Glass.
    http://picturesofpeoplescanningqrcodes.tumblr.com/
  • edited February 2013
    Someone needs to get on making a picturesofpeoplewearinggoogleglass.tumblr.com

EDIT: too long to use as tumblr username :-(
  • When I'm all cyborg'd I'll just link to this thread whenever you complain.
    Until you're hacked and think you're linking here, but really you're just saying "penis" over and over again.

• edited February 2013
    With microphones and speakers as part of Google glass, you wont need a separate Bluetooth earpiece anymore.

Whoa, can you imagine a Google Glass enhanced airsoft/lasertag game?

Everyone would effectively have a gps transponder on them. You could have IFF radar with the ability to link up all your teams individual "radar" to reduce the artificial fog of war, bluetooth enabled guns that feed you ammunition counts (artificial for laser, smart clips for airsoft), and smart vests that monitor player health and that coordinate hit detection with telemetry from other players about what direction they were facing when they fired to be able to assign kills.

Throughout the entire game, you could feed the video from each player to a central device that will allow game coordinators to monitor the game for foul play but also to create a highlights reel of the best parts of the game. You could even switch views on the fly and stream the whole thing live as a sport.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • The best thing about that Verge article is how theres a giant rift between his level of emotionality and grandiose excitement and his banal experience with the device. Get a guy who will actually do some insanely cool shit with it to write the article, not a dude who is going to claim that it's really "significant" and "powerful" that you can get directions without having to go through the apparently laborious and archaic process of reaching into your pocket and taking out your phone.
  • "No posts yet" LOL!
  • Can't wait for the spate of annoying as shit Apple-hipsters wandering around talking loudly to their glasses and bumping into lamposts and trains. Should be fun and not at all irritating. Voice control sounds great until you have to use it in a mixed crowd and look like an asshole.
    Until you're hacked and think you're linking here, but really you're just saying "penis" over and over again.
    If it results in Scott talking a load of cock, the how would you be able to detect the hack?
  • The best thing about that Verge article is how theres a giant rift between his level of emotionality and grandiose excitement and his banal experience with the device. Get a guy who will actually do some insanely cool shit with it to write the article, not a dude who is going to claim that it's really "significant" and "powerful" that you can get directions without having to go through the apparently laborious and archaic process of reaching into your pocket and taking out your phone.
    Amen! I mean, that's the thing about Glass. I know it has potential for it to do all sorts of cool shit -- it's just that it doesn't do any really cool shit yet.
  • Well I just mean that dude didn't do anything cool with it. He even says "this would probably be a cool thing for a mountain climber to use," but the most interesting thing this guy does is record a Starbucks employee against his/her will.