This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GDrive and Chrome for iOS

2»

Comments

• Is that 3 line button new? I don't remember ever seeing it on the iPhone I sold a month ago.
  • It's the Chrome app. Not Safari.

@Josh, I didn't even know how to do a screen capture on the iPhone until I googled it. ^_~
  • Screen capture (and quick scroll to top) are the killer features I'm desperately missing since switching to Android. It's almost enough to make me want to go back. Then I look at the tiny screen on my daughter's iPhone... ;-)
  • Ars Technica has reviewed iOS Chrome. In a nusthell, functionality is good, but performance drags as it's just wrapper around the iOS embedded WebKit widget. JavaScript performance is as much as 7x slower because they can't use either Safari's Nitro engine or Google's own V8 engine in it.
  • Ars Technica has reviewed iOS Chrome. In a nusthell, functionality is good, but performance drags as it's just wrapper around the iOS embedded WebKit widget. JavaScript performance is as much as 7x slower because they can't use either Safari's Nitro engine or Google's own V8 engine in it.
    Everyone keeps saying the performance is slower. I believe it, but I haven't experienced it. Obviously I haven't used a stopwatch, but the iOS Chrome "feels" faster. I know that's all BS, but you won't see me using mobile Safari.
  • It's possible the slowness is the kind of thing that only shows up in benchmarks and may not appear in real world usage. The Ars Technica article stated as such -- the SunSpider benchmark ran 7x slower, but depending on the specific sites you visit and how you use the browser, the slowness may not be anywhere near as noticeable -- i.e., if something takes 2 milliseconds to run in Chrome vs. 1 in Safari, we're not going to notice it.

Isn't there an old statement in computing that says there are lies, damned lies, and bechmarks? :)