This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The "Here's what that character SHOULD have done" Argument

13»

Comments

• DJango would have been much more interesting if the movie had ended an hour in (Right after the three brothers were taken out). Past that point the pacing of the movie took a nosedive.
  • DJango would have been much more interesting if the movie had ended an hour in (Right after the three brothers were taken out). Past that point the pacing of the movie took a nosedive.
    Then they would've had to move that scene with the bags up, right?

• This thread could solve every Horror movie ever.
    HAVE YOU NOT SEEN A SPAGHETTI WESTERN BEFORE! It matched the pacing in those films, it was odd ON PURPOSE!

Not mad at you directly, since many MANY other people had the same issue and never got any where with it.
    The eagles! Why didn't they use the eagles?!?!
    HAVE YOU NOT SEEN A SPAGHETTI WESTERN BEFORE! It matched the pacing in those films, it was odd ON PURPOSE!

Not mad at you directly, since many MANY other people had the same issue and never got any where with it.
    Slow pacing or no, we're all capable of making our own judgments of the movie apart from its genre.

• edited June 2013
    This thread could solve every Horror movie ever.
    Let me paint a picture for you:

You're a badass eagle dude. You've spent your life watching the world, making sure orcs and goblins don't fuck shit up. Your people killed dragons and shit.

So there's this old guy, Gandalf. He's sorta your friend, I guess - but he's that friend that's always asking you to bail his ass out of jail. At some point, you say "Bro, stop getting thrown in jail. I ain't gonna bail you out every time. You don't even pay me back."

And then he's all like, "OK, so this is going to sound crazy - but can you and a bunch of your friends fly us into the heart of the realm of the most evil motherfucker in existence? You probably won't die. We just need you to fly over Mount Doom and get close enough for a hobbit to drop a ring."

Any reasonable person would say "Fuck no." You're a badass eagle - you've got eagly shit to do, and you can't waste your life being a shuttle service for some geriatric with a thing for midgets.

Remember, the eagles are sentient. They have a will of their own. The only reason they help Gandalf out is because he's friends with their king - otherwise, you don't fuck with the eagles.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
    Let me paint a picture for you:

You're a badass eagle dude. You've spent your life watching the world, making sure orcs and goblins don't fuck shit up. Your people killed dragons and shit.

So there's this old guy, Gandalf. He's sorta your friend, I guess - but he's that friend that's always asking you to bail his ass out of jail. At some point, you say "Bro, stop getting thrown in jail. I ain't gonna bail you out every time. You don't even pay me back."

And then he's all like, "OK, so this is going to sound crazy - but can you and a bunch of your friends fly us into the heart of the realm of the most evil motherfucker in existence? You probably won't die. We just need you to fly over Mount Doom and get close enough for a hobbit to drop a ring."

Any reasonable person would say "Fuck no." You're a badass eagle - you've got eagly shit to do, and you can't waste your life being a shuttle service for some geriatric with a thing for midgets.

Remember, the eagles are sentient. They have a will of their own. The only reason they help Gandalf out is because he's friends with their king - otherwise, you don't fuck with the eagles.
    Someone needs to record this is the Sobe Energy drink voice.
  • edited June 2013
    This whole post is full of Django spoilers, but considering everyone else is talking about the plot openly, I won't feel the need to use spoiler tags either.
    I've discussed Django Unchained with a couple of people on this issue. Why not just buy the wife or pretend to buy her and then steal her in the middle of the night? The argument was that if Calvin Candie knew Django wanted to buy his wife then he wouldn't give her back, right? And then he offers to sell her back even after knowing the truth?
    Timo is correct; the actual problem is that Candie will charge them through the fucking roof if he knows exactly how much they want her. Candie knowing how badly Django and King need Broomhilda gives him incredible bargaining power to charge to the high heavens if he wants, because he loses nothing if they don't pay and he gains a freaking fortune if they do. Django and King create their plot so that they can buy her at a more reasonable price with Candie being none the wiser about how much power he actually holds in the situation.
    And then Christoph Waltz shoots Candie instead of shaking his hand to make a point about standing up to slavery, but then he dies and he gets Django and his wife stuck in a very unfortunate situation, so why not just shake Dicaprio's hand and leave?
    He addressed that directly in the dialogue: "I couldn't resist." Candie was being just such a despicable fuck that not even King could stand to grant him one second of dignified life more. That's the culmination of his character arc, with him going from: a bounty hunter who will do absolutely anything necessary to make himself a profit (including purchasing a slave, killing people, manipulating, robbing children of their fathers, etc.) --> someone who finds himself becoming very uncomfortable with some of the repugnant things he and Django have to do to help their plan --> someone who finally finds the line that he will not cross and actually stands for something other than himself.

If King had left it there and just shook Candie's hand, the practical side of the story would be resolved (albeit with financial ruin to both King and Django, considering Candie's price for Broomhilda), but the character arc would be incomplete and render his character development up to then pointless and unsatisfying. Even in-world, King knows that he would be betraying himself, Django, and everyone that Candie has ever hurt if he just walks away. That is the feeling he "couldn't resist".
    And then Django killing those guys that he could've used to ransack Candie's place because they were white guys with slaves?
    Similarly, Django's character arc involves him eventually being able to save himself rather than letting someone else help him out all the time. He goes from King having to free him and teach him things --> choosing his own clothing and characters --> developing his own skills --> taking over as the stronger, more ruthless person in their plan to rescue Hildy --> using everything he has learned and experienced up to that point to free his own damn self and his own damn wife. If he had gotten help from whitey at that point, it again would muddy the character arc.

Never mind that on the level of sheer movie appeal, it is super fucking cathartic to watch Django blow up every single slave-owning motherfucker he can at that point.
    DJango would have been much more interesting if the movie had ended an hour in (Right after the three brothers were taken out). Past that point the pacing of the movie took a nosedive.

Also, side note: I can't believe no one has mentioned this Film Crit Hulk article yet. Probably the best writing on the subject of "plot holes" I've ever read.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • This whole post is full of Django spoilers, but considering everyone else is talking about the plot openly, I won't feel the need to use spoiler tags either.

I've discussed Django Unchained with a couple of people on this issue. Why not just buy the wife or pretend to buy her and then steal her in the middle of the night? The argument was that if Calvin Candie knew Django wanted to buy his wife then he wouldn't give her back, right? And then he offers to sell her back even after knowing the truth?
    Timo is correct; the actual problem is that Candie will charge them through the fucking roof if he knows exactly how much they want her. Candie knowing how badly Django and King need Broomhilda gives him incredible bargaining power to charge to the high heavens if he wants, because he loses nothing if they don't pay and he gains a freaking fortune if they do. Django and King create their plot so that they can buy her at a more reasonable price with Candie being none the wiser about how much power he actually holds in the situation.
    And then Christoph Waltz shoots Candie instead of shaking his hand to make a point about standing up to slavery, but then he dies and he gets Django and his wife stuck in a very unfortunate situation, so why not just shake Dicaprio's hand and leave?
    He addressed that directly in the dialogue: "I couldn't resist." Candie was being just such a despicable fuck that not even King could stand to grant him one second of dignified life more. That's the culmination of his character arc, with him going from: a bounty hunter who will do absolutely anything necessary to make himself a profit (including purchasing a slave, killing people, manipulating, robbing children of their fathers, etc.) --> someone who finds himself becoming very uncomfortable with some of the repugnant things he and Django have to do to help their plan --> someone who finally finds the line that he will not cross and actually stands for something other than himself.

If King had left it there and just shook Candie's hand, the practical side of the story would be resolved (albeit with financial ruin to both King and Django, considering Candie's price for Broomhilda), but the character arc would be incomplete and render his character development up to then pointless and unsatisfying. Even in-world, King knows that he would be betraying himself, Django, and everyone that Candie has ever hurt if he just walks away. That is the feeling he "couldn't resist".
    And then Django killing those guys that he could've used to ransack Candie's place because they were white guys with slaves?
    Similarly, Django's character arc involves him eventually being able to save himself rather than letting someone else help him out all the time. He goes from King having to free him and teach him things --> choosing his own clothing and characters --> developing his own skills --> taking over as the stronger, more ruthless person in their plan to rescue Hildy --> using everything he has learned and experienced up to that point to free his own damn self and his own damn wife. If he had gotten help from whitey at that point, it again would muddy the character arc.

Never mind that on the level of sheer movie appeal, it is super fucking cathartic to watch Django blow up every single slave-owning motherfucker he can at that point.
    DJango would have been much more interesting if the movie had ended an hour in (Right after the three brothers were taken out). Past that point the pacing of the movie took a nosedive.

Also, side note: I can't believe no one has mentioned this Film Crit Hulk article yet. Probably the best writing on the subject of "plot holes" I've ever read.

They could've just stolen her without paying though, couldn't they? I have trouble ignoring logic for the sake of catharsis.

• They could've just stolen her without paying though, couldn't they? I have trouble ignoring logic for the sake of catharsis.
    They addressed that in the film when they talked about horses prior, if they do that they would be up for arrest and have gotten killed.

• They could've just stolen her without paying though, couldn't they? I have trouble ignoring logic for the sake of catharsis.
    They addressed that in the film when they talked about horses prior, if they do that they would be up for arrest and have gotten killed.
    They couldn't have just done it in the middle of the night? And been far enough away by the time Candie realized what happened?
    I think the movie should of ended with the shoot-out at Cherrywood, where DJango and Brunhilda got the hell out of dodge. Would of been perfect, but we needed another 40 minutes of Tarintino giving himself a satisfied pat-on-the-back and cameo.

There's another "What that character should have done" moment. Walton Goggins character should have killed Django right after that scene. You telling me a black man in that period is still alive after murdering about 5 white people?
  • edited June 2013
    It's not just a matter of Candie coming after them, it's the trouble they'd have afterward too. Django and Hildy are both marked with runaway "r"s on their cheeks, so they have to carry their paperwork at all times to prove to authorities wherever they go that they didn't escape from somewhere illegally (heck, they'd probably have that problem even if they didn't have those marks).

Even now with all their paperwork in order, they're probably going to have to deal with shit from people who don't believe they're really free until the end of slavery/end of their lives, whichever comes first. It would just be even worse if they really did just take Hildy, because then if they got caught without her papers later on, authorities would be 100% within their legal right to take her back to Candie. Doing the purchase legitimately was pretty much necessary to make sure they had at least some kind of defence against that shit. King made sure he got a bill of sale for Django at the very beginning for the same reason. Otherwise he would have just murdered those two guys without fucking around first and then taken Django without a word about it.
    Post edited by Eryn on
    I think the movie should of ended with the shoot-out at Cherrywood, where DJango and Brunhilda got the hell out of dodge. Would of been perfect, but we needed another 40 minutes of Tarintino giving himself a satisfied pat-on-the-back and cameo.

There's another "What that character should have done" moment. Walton Goggins character should have killed Django right after that scene. You telling me a black man in that period is still alive after murdering about 5 white people?
    I don't think anyone tells Tarantino to cut anything from his films.