This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX Prime - Advance Wars Tournament

RymRym
edited July 2012 in Video Games
I propose a short Advance Wars tournament over the course of PAX for those of us who are there. Obviously, no one (except me) wants to play 80 day battles for hours on end, so I propose the following.

1. Small maps with time limits determined ahead of time.
2. Single elimination tree determined ahead of time.
3. Small number of total people in tournament.
4. Ground rules for CO selection set ahead of time (or possibly, COs selected publicly ahead of time).

This sort of format limits the full use of my powers, and even makes it possible I won't win!

Anyone interested? If not, I declare myself the winner.

Comments

• I won't be at Prime this time around, but I've always wondered when you speak about Advance Wars: which version do you play? The only one I've ever played through is Advance Wars: Dual Strike. If that's your jam, I wouldn't mind playing a match one day.
  • Any/all of them. I'm indifferent: each has its strengths and weaknesses as a game.
  • I wish Advance Wars was less puzzley and more wargame like.
    So play Days of Ruin. ;^) DR, with a large map and fog of war, is extremely wargame-like, yet without the randomness.
  • Days of Ruin is the only one I own. I love it. I wish my kid would play with me. :(
  • edited July 2012
    I wish Advance Wars was less puzzley and more wargame like.
    So play Days of Ruin. ;^) DR, with a large map and fog of war, is extremely wargame-like, yet without the randomness.
    It's missing key components such as morale systems, leadership, and ability for fire and maneuver/suppression.

Post edited by Andrew on
    It's missing key components such as morale systems, leadership, and ability for fire and maneuver/suppression.

Not all wargames include all factors. Morale would be too much for a little game like that. Leadership exists in DR: the CO's unit affects those within his command radius. Suppression is abstracted by the way units block.

Not every wargame has to include every factor, and Advance Wars has plenty going for it on both a tactical and strategic level without adding more.

I've also rarely seen those components used well in a game that can be played in a reasonable span of time or that didn't also involve heavy randomness.

• Fuck Advanced Wars, let's play Tetris.

BTW, I am calling bullshit on any DS games being played other than Mii Plaza.
  • Hey, this year we have few at-con obligations and a small posse. Also, Scott and I will be in Seattle Tuesday night onward. (Emily will join us Thursday evening!).

We should play Eclipse Wednesday.
  • Hey, this year we have few at-con obligations and a small posse. Also, Scott and I will be in Seattle Tuesday night onward. (Emily will join us Thursday evening!).

We should play Eclipse Wednesday.
    How are you going to get a copy of Eclipse in Seattle?
  • Give me money. I'll buy it and bring it there. ^_~

Jeremy and I will be taking Thursday through Monday off, so Wednesday night hanging out is doable.
  • How are you going to get a copy of Eclipse in Seattle?
    Oh, you're going to pack it in your bag and bring it. ;^)

• I've got a copy of eclipse and arrive Wednesday ~5 pm.
  • I've got a copy of eclipse and arrive Wednesday ~5 pm.
    Awwwwwww shit son.