This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google Fiber

Comments

• I hate Kansas City so much. So very much.
  • *Checks Kansas City job postings*
  • *Checks Kansas City job postings*
    Checks Kansas City real estate.
  • Equally-ish distant from both Paxes.
  • Kansas City is the closest major population center to the geographic center of the contiguous USA, so I think we can all agree it is about as far away as you can get from anything fun.

Also, the stadium that the Royals plays in looks like the local minor league stadiums.
  • Kansas City is the closest major population center to the geographic center of the contiguous USA, so I think we can all agree it is about as far away as you can get from anything fun.

Also, the stadium that the Royals plays in looks like the local minor league stadiums.
    Also, Chiefs.

Also, Chiefs.
    Yes, but you guys are both forgetting BBQ.

• And tornadoes, don't forget those fun things. :-P
  • Bah. I grew up with tornados. As long as you have a basement, they're nothing to worry about. ;^)
  • Also, the stadium that the Royals plays in looks like the local minor league stadiums.
    Actually, in its day, Kaufman Stadium (AKA Royals Stadium) was considered one of the most beautiful ballparks in the majors. It's still considered the nicest looking among the cookie-cutter symmetrical parks that were built in the 70's, although it suffers for being the last one still in use.
  • I'm visiting Kansas City at the end of August. I'll report back...
  • As will I...
  • I have an idea!
  • Equally-ish distant from both Paxes.
    No, in the centroid of all three.
  • Don't forget that that $70 includes 1TB of Google Drive storage. So it would also replace your Jungle Disk or Carbonite or whatever.
    Shut up and take my money.

• Don't forget that that $70 includes 1TB of Google Drive storage. So it would also replace your Jungle Disk or Carbonite or whatever.
    Shut up and take my money.
    QFT
  • Austin is the next city to get Google Fiber.

You know what this means? It means that the next city to invite me to perform at their juggling festival will go to or near the front of the line. To clarify:

In 2006 I was invited to perform at the Austin Jugglefest.

In 2012 I was invited to perform at the Kansas City Juggling Festival.

In 2011 I was invited to perform at the Portland Juggling Festival in Oregon, which means they'll probably be next for Google Fiber.

In 2005 I was invited to perform at the RIT Juggle-In in Rochester, New York, which means Rochester will soon have Google Fiber too.

If you want Google Fiber, invite me to visit!
  • WE GOT GOOGLE FIBER, BITCHES! WE WIN!!

I'm giddy with the dancing shoes of life.
  • I'd invite you, Luke, but most people see my city as a shit hole.
  • Wait, Rochester is gonna get Fiber?
    Probably just RIT...

Either way, BALLIN'.
  • RIT doesn't really need fiber.
  • Going by the places I've performed at juggling festivals, RIT and Rochester should get Fiber within a few years.
  • Exactly how much fiber does Google Fiber have? 8g? 9g?
  • edited April 2013
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • Wait, Rochester is gonna get Fiber?
    Probably just RIT...

Either way, BALLIN'.
    Rochester needs fiber, for sure, but RIT is fine with what they have.
  • I live in Kansas City (well, a suburb right to the east) but it will probably be years before Fiber moves into my neighborhood. I heard a rumored 9 facilities were the only ones who had Fiber since the launch in July, though I don't know if that's true.

Heyyyy let's put a PAX in Kansas City. I think my life would be complete then!
  • Dang. Provo, Utah just announced as a future site for Google Fiber. Is Google ramping up or is it just an issue where the timing was right to make the move now since Provo has been struggling to build out their own municipal fiber network for years and floundering badly.

https://fiber.google.com/cities/provo/
    http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/central/provo/what-google-fiber-means-for-provo-free-broadband-for-everyone/article_4879a53d-b76f-598c-a130-44b25db1b830.html