This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google Fiber

13»

Comments

• Google has been planning this for a long while. They started buying up dark fiber since before they bought GrandCentral (Google Voice). They want to be a telco, and I'm alright with this.
  • They don't want to be a telco, but they've decided they have to be the change the want to see in the ISP business.
  • Why Provo?
  • And that's great but that means they're becoming a telco. Mind you, I'm not using "telco" in the "evil telco" sense; I'm using it just because I'm too lazy to type "telecommunications company".
  • US internet is that bad that Google needs to become it's own ISP? Damn.
  • US internet is that bad that Google needs to become it's own ISP? Damn.
    Yeah, our net is a fucking racket. >_>
  • Time Warner and Frontier and all the others are just assholes. Internet is a piece of shit over here.
  • Comcast/NBC is a legit monoply that I can't believe actually got approved.
  • edited April 2013
    Basic Fios is 50mbps down, 10mbps up. That is the same as the basic ADSL connection I had in Kanagawa in 2006.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • You had 50 megs down on ADSL?
  • Wait, I meant cable.
  • Why Provo?
    I have got to think it has more to do with the network that is already in place than the location. Also, I was reading some more about the deal: apparently the city is not passing on its debt for the network to Google. So Google gets to waltz in and take over an existing fiber network, pay for some core upgrades and possibly expansion and can walk away when the contract is up (7 years).

http://www.freeutopia.org/2013/04/17/i-was-wrong-about-google-fiber-but-this-isnt-a-golden-deal-for-the-city-either/
  • This puts another place on my list of "Places where it would be acceptable to move to". In addition to the Google fiber, most of my cool extended family lives around there.
  • Why Provo?
    I have got to think it has more to do with the network that is already in place than the location.
    Probably. Provo isn't exactly a technological backwater. Some older, but major (in their day) companies were based there such as Novell and Wordperfect. They probably still have a decent technological infrastructure there as a result.
  • Yeah true, SLC is pretty close and had one of the first IMPs too. But stupid BYU doesn't need fast free Internets!
  • I don't just mean infrastructure generally, I mean that the city of Provo has been building a fiber to the home network for years. Every house in the city is not hooked up to it - about 1/3 of residents are connected.