This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Oculus Rift

Comments

• Hey man, if he doesn't feel comfortable sharing that information, then he doesn't need to. Either way, congratulations, dude!
  • VentureJ said:

Hey man, if he doesn't feel comfortable sharing that information, then he doesn't need to. Either way, congratulations, dude!

Yeah, we'll all find out he's just making coffee.
  • Apreche said:

VentureJ said:

Hey man, if he doesn't feel comfortable sharing that information, then he doesn't need to. Either way, congratulations, dude!

Yeah, we'll all find out he's just making coffee.
    They sure are going to be paying me an awful lot to just make coffee :P

• I was joking but head coffee brewer until then.
  • MATATAT said:

Well are you working on hardware or software? You can tell me that much.

I'm pretty sure he has an NDA to uphold...
  • Of course he does, but an NDA doesn't mean you can't talk about it at all. It's usually just anything that is too specific. You can usually give a very brief overview of what team you're on, you just cant be like these are the specific things that we are working on. Each one is different but most NDAs aren't like yo if you utter anything about this job we'll sue your ass.
  • MATATAT said:

Of course he does, but an NDA doesn't mean you can't talk about it at all. It's usually just anything that is too specific. You can usually give a very brief overview of what team you're on, you just cant be like these are the specific things that we are working on. Each one is different but most NDAs aren't like yo if you utter anything about this job we'll sue your ass.

He's on the Oculus Rift team

• HMTKSteve said:

He's on the Oculus Rift team.

Oh? What is he working on specifically then?
  • HMTKSteve said:

He's on the Oculus Rift team.

Oh? What is he working on specifically then?
    The Oculus Rift.

• It's probably software or hardware. It's a 50/50 chance or... he's Carmack's chauffeur.
  • This guy's got jokes!
  • You guys are funny.
  • MATATAT said:

It's probably software or hardware. It's a 50/50 chance or... he's Carmack's chauffeur.

He's definitely not Carmack's chauffeur. That dude has Ferraris, and drives them himself. At best he's cleaning the car, not driving it.
  • MATATAT said:

Of course he does, but an NDA doesn't mean you can't talk about it at all. It's usually just anything that is too specific. You can usually give a very brief overview of what team you're on, you just cant be like these are the specific things that we are working on. Each one is different but most NDAs aren't like yo if you utter anything about this job we'll sue your ass.

Funny story, the NDA I signed with [a large Swiss bank] when I was working for them actually stipulated that I couldn't say the name of my employer to a 3rd party. When I asked HR about this, they said it was just in case some shady financial business happened (e.g. I was subpoenaed or something). I took the contract because it was my first six figure salary (which I was just barely qualified for at the time), and it's never been an issue. Just saying though, those kinds of NDAs exist, if not in the spirit of the law definitely in the letter of it.
  • This is a fascinating video about virtual reality and the information needed about the whole system to stop any nausea. And about the "hack" Oculus Rift uses to make their system more simple (to the benefit of anyone who doesn't have distant eyes).

• DK2 announced, it's essentially a cleaned up Crystal Cove prototype.
    http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/19/5524336/new-oculus-rift-dev-kit-price-july
  • I'm working at Facebook this summer!
  • Things sure are escalating recently in the tech world.
  • edited March 2014
    Dazzle369 said:
    On today's episode of entirely predictable whinging...

And some more reactions, thoughtfully compiled by Patricia Hernandez.

And don't even go NEAR /r/oculus. Direct quote from the front page, "Soon, your retinal scans & associated meta data will be in the hands of this person." with the famous picture of Zuckerberg calling his users dumb fucks. The thread is even better, but seriously, this fucking goofball thinks that the Oculus can suddenly do retinal scans and collect metadata from that. Somehow.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • /v/ is currently looping Komm, susser todd (Come, sweet death) from the End of Eva soundtrack as everyone's dreams slowly die.
  • Churba said:

Dazzle369 said:
    On today's episode of entirely predictable whinging...

And some more reactions, thoughtfully compiled by Patricia Hernandez.

And don't even go NEAR /r/oculus. Direct quote from the front page, "Soon, your retinal scans & associated meta data will be in the hands of this person." with the famous picture of Zuckerberg calling his users dumb fucks. The thread is even better, but seriously, this fucking goofball thinks that the Oculus can suddenly do retinal scans and collect metadata from that. Somehow.
    I didn't think there was that much tin foil on earth.
  • edited March 2014
    Man, that's disappointing. I was hoping that Oculus Rift would be its own thing or at worst get acquired by Microsoft or Valve, I'm worried what restrictions Facebook might place on games that use it. I'm going to hang around with /v/ for a while to think more deeply. Also, I love "Komm, susser tod", so it's a win-win.
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • edited March 2014
    GreyHuge said:

Man, that's disappointing. I was hoping that Oculus Rift would be its own thing or at worst get acquired by Microsoft or Valve, I'm worried what restrictions Facebook might place on games that use it.

I don't see why. What do you think they'd do, restrict it down to only Facebook games? I doubt they're going to place much if anything in the way of restrictions on the Rift, because they traditionally don't spend two billion dollars on businesses just to intentionally run them into the ground.

Also, don't forget, it's not like Oculus didn't have the option to say no. This was not a hostile takeover. If the people who were creating the device - all of whom have a far more vested interest in it's success than any of us do, excluding Andrew - thought that Facebook was going to destroy the whole thing, they'd have told Facebook to fuck off.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba said:

If the people who were creating the device [...] thought that Facebook was going to destroy the whole thing, they'd have told Facebook to fuck off.

I hope they're taking the two billion dollars and starting Boculus Rift. But I would bet the terms of the deal prohibits that.
  • Yeah the internet is so full of butthurt and fear right now. I don't see a FB acquisition stopping developers from making great gaming experiences on the Rift, or preventing consumers from buying an eventual retail version. In fact, the resources will probably make that retail version better.

Beluga is a great example of Facebook taking something great and killing it, but that was a natural target to roll into their own FB apps and such. I just don't seem them doing that to a hardware device.