This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Oculus Rift

Comments

• E3 approaches ;)
  • Andrew said:

E3 approaches ;)

Someone must have some inside info.

Are they letting you go to E3?
  • It's in LA, so it's super close. I should ask actually.
  • Please provide your exact travel itinerary so we know where to waylay go to insure your safe passage.
  • No, we definitely need to insure his journey because I think he may have to file a claim for misplaced property.
  • Ensure the insure really.
  • Ensure that when he is insured, we are named as the beneficiaries.
  • I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the tone of this conversation.
  • So... Where should we have the car pick you up?
  • E3 pass for me confirmed! Yay!
  • E3 was really fun, it was exciting to show off all the cool demos I've seen around the office. My favorite is probably Lucky's Tale.

Also, Alien:Isolation is scary as shit in VR.
  • Nice to see Conker is on the Oculus Rift.
  • I am eagerly awaiting the DK2. I wanna make WebGL-powered VR websites, dammit!
  • Uhhh yes please.
  • I've considered buying the v2 dev kit but I just don't know if I would use it that much.
  • http://www.theriftarcade.com/

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/06/13/superhot-on-the-oculus-rift-made-me-feel-like-neo-from-the-matrix/

Oculus rift will take over the world when the resolution gets to 4K. We have a few Oculus demoes at work including 1 Oculus HD. Shut up and take my money already!

Even on the DK1, the immersion is there enough to make any video game/ 3D video seriously enjoyable. The only disadvantage is, anything could happen while you're wearing them. As soon as you put them on, you're blind to the world. Take them off and you may find yourself completely robbed.

Someone has already found a solution. Attach cameras to the outside of the Oculus and overlay it to whatever level of opacity, then you'll still have some sense of what's happening around you in the real world.

Can't wait till our office gets those DK2s.
  • Oculus' plans for the future: Focus more on software.
  • Oculus acquires Carbon Design, hardware developers for the Xbox 360 controller.
  • I came across Google Cardboard. It's basically a DIY Occulus. All you need is an android phone and some cardboard. The app is in demo stage and currently lets you fly around through google earth, take virtual tours of cities and museums, watch movies etc. I can see this easily extended into games like the Occulus. Since there is a camera, it could also be used as an augmented reality device.

It seems really interesting, but I'm too lazy to put together the DIY pieces. Maybe someone here can do it and report back.

• I saw that yesterday somewhere. I thought it was a joke at first but then I realized they were being serious.
  • I downloaded the demo App. They are indeed serious, but I can't tell how well it works since I didnt have the cardboard part. Seems like a lot of potential, the motion detection works without any noticeable lag.
  • We tried out the Cardboard app at work on a similar device. It was OK, but the lag and lack of certain features make it nothing more than a novelty I think.
  • The idea of a bunch of lab-coated oculus engineers with clipboards, flanked by Palmer Lucky, surrounding some dude with a hunk of cardboard and a smartphone strapped to his face is obviously wrong, but a funny mental image nonetheless.
  • edited June 2014
    Churba said:

The idea of a bunch of lab-coated oculus engineers with clipboards, flanked by Palmer Lucky, surrounding some dude with a hunk of cardboard and a smartphone strapped to his face is obviously wrong, but a funny mental image nonetheless.

Zuckerberg: "I paid $2 billion for WHAT?!?"
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • DK2s start shipping today.
  • http://www.oculusvr.com

Who's that on the front page of the oculus website?
  • How staged was that photo?