This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 061002 - The News

2»

Comments

• All this talk about Digg, does anyone read the Weekly Dig? It’s a Boston Humor Magazine that specializes in reporting the idiocy of locals, politicians and local politicians.
  • Amen. Have we forgotten the "summer of the shark? 95% of newscasts such as the "Today Show" are full of complete crap. A segment on making an omelet just doesn't belong on a news show. That stuff has its place, but I'll never consider a show that features it a serious news show.
  • I've never really understood why it is that on slow news days a lot of "news shows" will do segments on, say, a kitten that got stuck in a drain. Or omelletes. And celebrities. Probably celebrities making omelettes. Why not talk about some of the stuff happening overseas? There's so much stuff they could put there. I don't want happy news if it's going to be about kittens. I can find my own kitten stories, thank you. I'm of the opinion happy news should be something grand that restores my faith in humanity. :D

But that's just me. There must be a lot of people out there who think omelettes are CRITICAL.

Also my faith in humanity is pretty good really.
  • edited October 2006
    I almost (well, did) forget about C-SPAN! Now that I'm working a 9-5 job, I don't get to watch it all that much, but it (and C-SPAN 2 &3) can be pretty enlightening.

OTOH, my mother has always made a habit of watching the local news, and I've never been able to stand that dreck. National sensationalism, local sensationalism, feel-good piece, teaser about how cosmetic samplers at department stores contain a hidden danger (no, not kidding, that was a local piece I saw recently. The hidden danger? germs.)
    Post edited by belarm on
  • Well when it comes to international news I get it from the BBC. As for local and national, I just read the newspaper. Though honestly I don't really pay too much attention to the news.
  • One major flaw of televised news is that it is for a set period of time. If they can't fill the hour... well... they just have to fill it.
  • Also, viewers are fatigued with the real hard news. Honestly, most Americans don't want to know the details of Iraq or North Korea or Iran. Blame it on shoddy public education if you must, but I blame MTV.