This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Inaugural 32nd First Annual FRC Forums Census

124»

Comments

• Your what score? Is that the Aussie equivalent of the SATs?
  • Churba said:

sK0pe said:

HMTKSteve said:

Casa Vino said:

Churba said:

Also, a trade certification and vocational education option in the educational section wouldn't go astray.

True. Even with my crazy geologist salary; it will take me another few years to catch up with my peers whom opted for trades rather than university qualifications.
    There is a lot more money in plumbing and carpentry than most realise; those trades can also take you to some unique locations
    It annoys me to no end how the trades are so often overlooked as a viable career path.
    They are quite commonly respected in Australia.
    Maybe out in the post-schooling world, but I remember going through school the messaging was very much "If you don't go to university, you're a failure and will never go anywhere in life, trades are for people who can't handle getting a degree, your OP score will determine the rest of your life."

I found during my time at a Government school (years 8-10) about 60% of people were all in on going up to year 12 and the other 40% were dropping out at year 10 or finishing up to year 12 to go to TAFE (vocational school).
    However at the private school I went to (year 11-12) 100% of the population went for University even though 30% still ended up in blue collar jobs.
    Could just have been the different socio-economic areas of the schools or my individual experience.
  • When talking about education, please stick to ages of student, or at least clarify the ages of different grades or years. Fifth grade is as confusing as year 12 or 6th formers.

Across different countries, different education systems and different ages, it gets very confusing. For example, I went from being in 2nd year in school to year 9. And when I became a 5th year student, actually year 11 in the new system, I went to become a 1st year college student while many others went on to become lower 6th form students, and the next year upper 6th form students. In America the colleges have freshmen and then thigh and then thingy and then maybe seniors? In Germany... Don't fucking ask.
  • Freshman, Sophomore, Necromancer, the Unburnt, Queen of Meereen, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, and Mother of Dragons.
  • BLS was weird about names for years. The classes were numbered 1-6 in descending order (seniors are class one, seventh graders are class six) -- which isn't necessarily a bad system, but nobody else in the country does it. It also leads to the very confusing slang "sixies" to refer to seventh graders.
  • Your what score? Is that the Aussie equivalent of the SATs?

Queensland, rather than Australia wide(NSW has the HST, others have other scores), but close enough. The difference is that your OP score(also your HST, I think) basically goes away if you go more than 12 months without going through any sort of schooling, and you can lower(that is to say, improve) your score by doing tertiary education. For example, if you have an OP15, and do a particular TAFE course, that might drop you down to an OP9. I don't know about the SATs, but it's also an elective - you have to opt-in to take the test.
  • SATs are opt in, but only so that people going not going on to college don't have to bother with them. Every college requires them, so calling them "opt in" would be a bit misleading.
  • When talking about education, please stick to ages of student, or at least clarify the ages of different grades or years. Fifth grade is as confusing as year 12 or 6th formers.

Across different countries, different education systems and different ages, it gets very confusing. For example, I went from being in 2nd year in school to year 9. And when I became a 5th year student, actually year 11 in the new system, I went to become a 1st year college student while many others went on to become lower 6th form students, and the next year upper 6th form students. In America the colleges have freshmen and then thigh and then thingy and then maybe seniors? In Germany... Don't fucking ask.

Ok so year 12 in Australia is the last year in high school, you get a certificate of education and is required before going to University and is beneficial if you are going to a vocational school.
    Churba said:

Your what score? Is that the Aussie equivalent of the SATs?

Queensland, rather than Australia wide(NSW has the HST, others have other scores), but close enough. The difference is that your OP score(also your HST, I think) basically goes away if you go more than 12 months without going through any sort of schooling, and you can lower(that is to say, improve) your score by doing tertiary education. For example, if you have an OP15, and do a particular TAFE course, that might drop you down to an OP9. I don't know about the SATs, but it's also an elective - you have to opt-in to take the test.
    I'm sure it would make sense if I grew up or worked in Queensland but that sounds more obtuse than it should. In WA, Tasmania, Northern Territory and Victoria (renamed to ENTER) we have TER (Tertiary Entrance Rank or Score), NSW has the HST. I know that in WA you rank is valid for 2 years with no degradation.

The UK has Ordinary Wizard levels, I will have to look up the German system, looks interesting.
  • Ah, it's not that complex really. That's about the end of the rules - It goes away after one year without education(because then you're an adult entry student), it doesn't degrade, it can only improve with further education, the lower the number the better the score, and that's about it. It's only really useful if you intend to go to Uni right out of High School, but that's the part they deliberately obfuscate, since so many people take gap years.