This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What have you bought recently?

Comments

• Wheely bags are wonderful.
    For sissies.
    Remind me, how many pushups can manly-ass Scott do?

For sissies.
    About as many as you remember.
    For sissies.
    What sort of pushups require a manly ass?

• Ordered a new 1TB hard drive to replace my now tiny 230 GB.
  • Ordered a new SSD to replace the one that's failing. Of course there are two other possibilities: it was the SATA connectors on the motherboard the whole time, or every SATA cable I own is broken.
  • GeoGeo
    edited February 2013
    Wheely bags are wonderful.
    For sissies.

I have heard this being mentioned many times in the show and in the forum. I am in no way trying to be antagonistic, but is this an inside joke or is Scott unable to do a push-up?

Post edited by Geo on
    For sissies.

I have heard this being mentioned many times in the show and in the forum. I am in no way trying to be antagonistic, but is this an inside joke or is Scott unable to do a push-up?

Unable.

For sissies.
    Unable.
    For serious? Even I can do at least 10+. You sure it's not pull-ups? I can't do those.
    For sissies.
    Unable.
    For serious? Even I can do at least 10+. You sure it's not pull-ups? I can't do those.
    0 of either one.
    For sissies.
    Unable.
    You sure it's not pull-ups? I can't do those.
    Neither can I. I just don't have the upper body strength to do a pull-up.

For sissies.
    Unable.
    You Livstreamed one time a looong time ago and I witnessed you doing exactly one push-up. But that was in probably 2008, so that may have changed.
  • The problem is that I (think) I know what a proper push-up is. I can do a zillion push-ups improperly. I think that a lot of people who think they can do one or more push-ups are doing them wrong. If they were forced to do them properly, they would do much fewer, or zero.

To do a push-up, you have to lift your entire body up using your upper body. You can't wiggle your ass. You can't worm your back. You can't kick your leg. It is 100% upper body muscles only. My body isn't that light, and my arms are long twigs. It's not easy to push it up off the ground.
  • I'm pretty weak, but I can still do more than a push up. I was in a military cadet program as a kid, they made us do all kinds of weirdness. The worst was when we had four guys form a sort of square where all four lift the entire group up with only their arms. And I had the biggest guy in the squads legs on my back. Oy.
  • I know what a real pushup is. I'm out of shape and I can do 20 of them. You're not allowed to call anybody a sissy.
  • If you're all so much stronger than me that can't do one push-up, how come I can carry my own luggage without wheels?
  • edited February 2013
    Because we're men, not savages.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Because we're men, not savages.
  • Your body should basically be a board, and you need to go level or below your elbows. Forearms should be straight at all times.
  • Let's all video ourselves doing or not doing one or more push-ups. Then let's call out all the people who are not doing them properly.
  • You don't have to go all the way to the ground, but you have to at least go down to where your elbows are at right angles.
  • You shouldn't touch the ground at all except for hands and feet.
  • edited February 2013
    Let's all video ourselves doing or not doing one or more push-ups. Then let's call out all the people who are not doing them properly.
    There's gotta be some way to take this argument and make your ego bigger, right?
    Post edited by Walker on
  • With push-ups I've always started in the up position. Then down and back up is 1.

So how are we defining this?
  • I think the general standard is starting in the up position and your arms have to "break" 90 degrees in the down position, and you can't touch the ground.
  • I think the general standard is starting in the up position and your arms have to "break" 90 degrees in the down position, and you can't touch the ground.
    Sounds right to me. Though I always preferred diamonds to traditional push ups.

• Huh. The guy in that picture is holding his upper arms against his body. I wonder if that will help.
  • OK so we're not gonna start videoing ourselves doing push-ups, because I while I would feel compelled to do it I would also feel like an unreal tool.
  • edited February 2013
    OK so we're not gonna start videoing ourselves doing push-ups, because I while I would feel compelled to do it I would also feel like an unreal tool.
    Just front leaning rest for as long as you can. It'd like a feature length film, except nothing happens.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Huh. The guy in that picture is holding his upper arms against his body. I wonder if that will help.
    For most people, those are actually harder to do because it requires more shoulder strength than the standard ones (standard being elbows out). I think they feel better though overall, even though they're more difficult.