This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What have you bought recently?

Comments

• A 1.5 ton capacity trolley jack, and some 3-ton jackstands.
  • Planning on tuning the mighty van?

I got Canon FD and EF lens to Samsung NX body adapters.
  • edited July 2015
    Nah, just some bits to make it easier to work on when I don't have the time or inclination to take it over to a shop that'll let me use their lift. It's real hard to get around inside that engine bay - even changing the oil means that I've got to get underneath, take off the airflow plate/bashguard, and get the oil filter from the bottom. You simply can't get to it from the top. Ditto basically anything other than the plugs on the left side of the engine, and those plugs are a fuck of a thing to try and get to.

I could do that with the jacks I have, but if it's not on a lift, I don't get under any car that's off the ground without Jackstands unless I really have to. Too easy to slip off and crush you to death. I mostly went to buy the jackstands, but the trolley jack makes certain things rather easier, and it was in a pretty good combo deal with the stands.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I'm trying to figure out if any of what Churba said was meant as anything but a string of double entendres.

I got the Anker 6400mAh battery and the 3000mAh battery.

I think I should have just bough the 12800, I didn't expect them to be as small and light as they were.

Bought a couple of fountain pens.

I loved using fountain pens. Got my first one at 9 years of age, continued using them till I was 24 when I had to start signing legal certificates which couldn't allow smudging or washing away ink.
  • sK0pe said:

I loved using fountain pens. Got my first one at 9 years of age, continued using them till I was 24 when I had to start signing legal certificates which couldn't allow smudging or washing away ink.

There are actually some fountain pen inks out there that are pretty resistant to washing away, smudging, etc. One of them supposedly required an MIT grad student to use frikkin' laser beams in order to eradicate it from the paper, despite trying water, alcohol, bleach, acid, etc. Said grad student won $1000 from the ink maker for finding a way to nuke the ink. Supposedly this ink chemically bonds with the cellulose in paper to give it its permanence.
  • Bought some BDU pants to go with the shirt I bought earlier, and some pony themed patches.
  • edited August 2015
    With my disability income approved and first check received, I had to splurge on something I'd wanted for a while.

Post edited by Greg on
  • edited September 2015
    I don't think I've bought a new boardgame at all this year, so after playing some new games at PAX I went through my Amazon wishlist and spent some mad monies:
    Games!
    - Keltis (Reiner Knizia's new game, only in German but I can download english rules online)
    - Power Grid
    - Alhambra
    - Tigris & Euphrates
    - Bang!
    - Coup
    - Dixit (some good quick party games, since I have a dearth of those)
    - Splendor (highly recommended by friends)
    EDIT: Wow, unordered list styles are weird on the forum right now.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Keltis I heard is just multiplayer Lost Cities.
  • Pretty much, though the rule changes make it seem like it'd be more streamlined
    1. In LCBG you play 3 rounds, scoring at the end of all 3 for the monuments you collect. (Normal scoring occurs each round.) In Keltis, you only play 1 round, and score everything each round. This is not just a rule difference, as the scoring is different for the monuments/stones based on the number collected.

2. In Keltis, you may play your cards in either order, high to low, or low to high. In LCBG, you must go low to high.

Note: the rules for LCBG have the Keltis rules as variants, and have the board elements necessary for #1 above. Keltis does not have the rules nor board elements to play LCBG.

There are more differences that are non-substantive. (Art, points in LCBG multiplied by 5, etc.)
  • I don't think I've bought a new boardgame at all this year, so after playing some new games at PAX I went through my Amazon wishlist and spent some mad monies:

I bought a few less, (although you could have put mad monies into your new gaming PC components).
    I got -
    - Tigris and Euphrates
    - Sheriff of Nottingham
    - Sushi Go
    - Game of Thrones

I thought about buying all the 7 wonders and Coup expansions however I haven't exhausted all strategies with friends on 7 Wonders and Coup seemed expensive for what I got. Will save it for next time.
  • edited September 2015
    Oh, I put mad monies into my new PC as well.

- Skylake i5 6600k
    - mid-range ($140) LGA1151 motherboard with a USB 3.1 (reversible) port
    - 32 gig DDR4 ram
    - 250 gig SATA III ssd for my boot disk
    - 2TB hdd for data
    - Fractal Design Define R5 case
    - modular psu (haven't had one of those in a while)

I'm bringing over my GTX 780 Ti gpu, as well as two ssds I use for steam games and a 1TB hdd. I want to play around with Windows 10's new drive management system.

EDIT: I briefly debated getting the i7, but it was about $300 more for around 5% performance improvement, plus I don't think any of my cpu-bound games would even take advantage of the hyperthreading.

EDIT2: In the future, I might go for those M.2 drives, but it doesn't seem like they've hit the compatibility / price sweet spot yet. My mobo has the latest slot of them, though, if I decide to add one later.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • That's a real nice PC and a pretty great case to work with, easy to wire up everything.
    I'm not sure why case makers leave USB 2.0 slots when 3.0 and 3.1 are backwards compatible.
  • sK0pe said:

That's a real nice PC and a pretty great case to work with, easy to wire up everything.
    I'm not sure why case makers leave USB 2.0 slots when 3.0 and 3.1 are backwards compatible.

Depending on the implementation (I know it's supposed to be a standard) compatibility can be less than perfect. I have an arcade stick that only works on my laptop if I plug it into a hub first.
  • My old turntable died, so I had to buy a new one. It doesn't seem to have a pre-amp. We're debating what the next move is -- return the defective device and get a replacement, or use a simple work around.
  • I needed an acoustic-electric guitar so I could start playing open mics and stuff. Grandparents wanted to get me a big gift, so they got me a really fantastic one.
    That's a Breedlove Oregon Concert model. Wouldn't have been able to afford it, except that Guitar Center had it on clearance. I'd guess that the reason nobody got it before would be the lack of buttons and nobs. There's no internal tuner, no treble/bass control, and no volume or tone nobs. However, it had the sweetest, cleanest sound of all the guitars I played, and when plugged into the amp, that sweetness was better preserved than the others -- and I think that's more important than all the bells and whistles.
  • Re: Keltis - it goes deeper than that.

1999, Kosmos publishes Knizia's Lost Cities.
    2008, Kosmos publishes Keltis, which wins the SdJ
    2008, Rio Grande publishes Lost Cities the Board Game in English, with the changes detailed by Yoshokatana above.
    2009, the SdJ success means money, and Kosmos publishes Keltis: Der Weg Der Steine Mitbringspiel and Keltis: Das Kartenspiel (!)
  • pence said:

Re: Keltis - it goes deeper than that.

1999, Kosmos publishes Knizia's Lost Cities.
    2008, Kosmos publishes Keltis, which wins the SdJ
    2008, Rio Grande publishes Lost Cities the Board Game in English, with the changes detailed by Yoshokatana above.
    2009, the SdJ success means money, and Kosmos publishes Keltis: Der Weg Der Steine Mitbringspiel and Keltis: Das Kartenspiel (!)

Keltis: Das Kartenspiel?!?!?! Can never get enough Kartenspiel!
  • Lost Cities: The Board Game: The Card Game.

As for the thread topic, I bought Mario Maker...

I also bought a considerable pile of Japanese board/card games that went up on the BGG store this month:

- Eggs of Ostrich
    - The King of Frontier
    - Go da Cheese
    - Deep Sea Adventure

Eggs of Ostrich is a cute 5 minute filler (like Too Many Cinderellas) and The King of Frontier is a great, simple take on Puerto Rico that adds randomness beyond the setup (through tile draws). Anthony and I played it 4 times in a little over an hour last night.
  • My bank account experienced pain last month. Got a Nexus 5X, a Surface Book, and went to two Mets postseason games.
  • Matt said:

My bank account experienced pain last month. Got a Nexus 5X, a Surface Book, and went to two Mets postseason games.

World Series tickets also hurting the bank account.
  • Which game did you go to?
  • Matt said:

Which game did you go to?

4 ;(
  • Upgraded my iPad mini 2 to a Mini 4, 64gb so I can give Jeremy my hand me down 64gb so he can stop complaining about his 16gb sad tablet. The weight difference is noticeable. Now, when my iPad falls on my face when I'm reading in bed, the impact won't be as hard. But it's nice to have a tablet that is on par with my phone with Fingerprint ID and all that fun stuff.

Also purchased the Logitech Keys-To-Go Ultra-Portable Bluetooth Keyboard. This is what I've been looking for in a keyboard for my tablet. It has a stand to put my tablet in either landscape or portrait mode. Most other keyboards were lacking or you had to have a case with it to where you were only limited to view your tablet in landscape mode only. It's lightweight, inexpensive, and charges fast. The tactile feedback is good. Now I can use it to type up notes for whatever review I'm doing for podcasting and what not.

I'm currently looking into getting a blue tooth speaker as well for my room and shopping around. Any recommendations are appreciated.

With my transition over the next two weeks to start working at home, I am looking into making my computer room more into an office. I am looking into getting an adjustable workstation desk so I can stand while working if need be. I know I have a huge L-shape desk, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit my work laptop & other monitors comfortably at the desk.

I also have been looking into work mats. The ones at OfficeMaxDepot weren't good enough for my high-pile carpet and were way too pricey. It seems online they are very pricey for the really thick mats. However, at Costco they had one that looks to be what I needed for $20! I'll take that.

Spending money to save money and work in my pjs and geeky shirts. I'm ok with this.
  • edited November 2015
    I bought my first bike, a mamachari (don't know what they're called in English), when I got to Japan. It turns out that riding bikes is fun, but riding ~40km on a bike designed to go to the store isn't super comfortable, so I decided to get a real bike.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • edited November 2015
    I don't think there is an English word for it, I think that's just the name for that style of bike. Also, you messed up your link.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • City bicycle
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    (Redirected from Mamachari)
  • edited November 2015
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Steam controller just got here. I'm doing a full review on my podcast but to summarize: It's good, but still feels kind of beta.
  • Steam controller just got here. I'm doing a full review on my podcast but to summarize: It's good, but still feels kind of beta.

I got mine a couple days ago. Same.