This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - My Phone is Too Big and a Tech News Roundup

edited September 2012 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, back (temporarily) from travel, we complain at length about the growing size of cell phones, and then launch into a tech news roundup of everything important we've missed. In a very particular order: GoDaddy fails us for the last time, nearly everyone wants Google Fiber, surveywalls replace paywalls, Amazon backs out of their no-opt-out ads on the Kindle Fire, at least one person throws a hissy fit about Microsoft's handling of the Do Not Track option, and "free market ideology" correlates with all sorts of crazy.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Is this you guys whining about how new phones are bigger than your iPhone/Nexus S?
  • Sounds like it. I haven't watched/listened but I don't understand the acrimony. Maybe it's self-satirizing.
  • My Galaxy S3 is my only portable computer device. No laptop. No tablet. I have a desktop at home. Works fine for me.
  • my only issue with my iphone is it's too small (and it's apple)
  • I like having a really big phone because I use it for surfing. No.. no.. I don't mean web surfing......
  • I've said it in other threads, but my Galaxy Note is a perfect device. It slides readily into my pocket, and is enough of a tablet for the times a tablet is really helpful, like watching Netflix or even doing some light word processing.

I used my iPhone primarily as a "wallet" to carry my photos around in, with the occasional, incidental internet access (google searches while shopping, quick facebook update). The Note is far more useful for both.
  • Those Russian pictures are pretty awesome.
  • I use tethering on my tiny 3.5" phone and a 7" tablet. My phone is old and slow, and the screen too small to do nice browsing.
  • edited September 2012
    I have an HTC Hero and a thing I read books on which I think are pretty nifty. Stop complaining.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I haven't really used my nook since I got my note, although I still think e-ink is the superior reading medium, it's just not convenient to carry both.
  • I read on my retina iPhone all the time. Even with the smaller screen than my girlfriend's iPad, it has a non-retina screen, and I just can't look at the blocky text rendering. Maybe one day I'll get a Kindle, but I don't think it would make me read more than I do already, so there's not much point at the moment.
  • I read on my retina iPhone all the time. Even with the smaller screen than my girlfriend's iPad, it has a non-retina screen, and I just can't look at the blocky text rendering. Maybe one day I'll get a Kindle, but I don't think it would make me read more than I do already, so there's not much point at the moment.
    The Kindle doesn't change how much I read, it changes what I read. Instead of reading some dead tree book, i read a book on the Kindle that is likely to be a public domain classic.
  • edited September 2012
    I'm just fucking tired of Android. Switching to something else.

Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I carry tiny phone and kindle, which covers 99% of my mobil digital needs day-to-day.

If I expect to need a large screen or horsepower, I carry my tiny laptop as well.
  • I usually just have my iphone and my DS, because no mobile game will ever beat Advance Wars to me. I mostly use my kindle for running RPGs to be honest.
  • Tiny laptop is a waste of money, in my opinion. I tried out a bunch of demo netbooks and didn't see the point at all. At the point that I need a keyboard, I need a real keyboard, not some miniaturized nonsense with a tiny display. I have my economy 15" laptop that I carry when I expect to need it.
  • Having a purse = carry all the things. I normally bring my iPhone, iPad, and sometimes my DS to work.
  • RymRym
    edited September 2012
    Tiny laptop is a waste of money, in my opinion. I tried out a bunch of demo netbooks and didn't see the point at all. At the point that I need a keyboard, I need a real keyboard, not some miniaturized nonsense with a tiny display. I have my economy 15" laptop that I carry when I expect to need it.
    My tiny display is high resolution. The tiny laptop is more powerful than my honking desktop (aside from the video card). My keyboard is full sized for touch typing. Don't mistake "tiny laptop" for "netbook." Netbooks are useless. My laptop is a super powerful machine that's just the size of a netbook.

I want very small displays with very high resolutions. Large screens seem quite useless except when I'm in an office somewhere.

Post edited by Rym on
  • Tiny laptop is a waste of money, in my opinion. I tried out a bunch of demo netbooks and didn't see the point at all. At the point that I need a keyboard, I need a real keyboard, not some miniaturized nonsense with a tiny display. I have my economy 15" laptop that I carry when I expect to need it.
    My tiny display is high resolution. The tiny laptop is more powerful than my honking desktop (aside from the video card). My keyboard is full sized for touch typing.

I want very small displays with very high resolutions. Large screens seem quite useless except when I'm in an office somewhere.
    Maybe I'm old and blind, but I appreciate a larger display with more distinct (larger,spaced) screen elements. The retina display on the iPhone 4 is smooth, man, but the dimensions of the screen matter, too.
  • I'm just fucking tired of Android. Switching to something else.
    What about it? Android has its problems, to be sure, but nothing serious. What the fuck are you doing that Android is a problem for you?

• Maybe I'm old and blind, but I appreciate a larger display with more distinct (larger,spaced) screen elements. The retina display on the iPhone 4 is smooth, man, but the dimensions of the screen matter, too.
    This seems to be the underlying issue. I do start to think that lots of people have uncorrected vision problems, leading to their desire for oddly large screens.

• edited September 2012

Maybe I'm old and blind, but I appreciate a larger display with more distinct (larger,spaced) screen elements. The retina display on the iPhone 4 is smooth, man, but the dimensions of the screen matter, too.
    This seems to be the underlying issue. I do start to think that lots of people have uncorrected vision problems, leading to their desire for oddly large screens.

I also think a lot of people just don't go anywhere. They are suburban folks who sit in their houses and aren't constantly on the move carrying things everywhere. If they do go somewhere, they drive. They also have large houses with extra space, and not tiny apartments. When you don't have to worry about carrying or storing something, the fact that it is big isn't really a detriment, and you only notice the positive aspects of bigness.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited September 2012

Oooooor they're just old and their eyes no longer focus up close any more. My mom and dad have this problem. My dad loves the huge screen on his Galaxy Nexus cause he can actually read it.

Personally, I'd just leave my tablet at home if I had a Galaxy Nexus or larger screen.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited September 2012

LOL. Reach for that low hanging fruit. :-)

I update my eyeglasses annually and they're quite good.

My Note isn't a "retina" display, but 1280x800 OLED in a 5.4" size is pretty damned smooth. I appreciate the fact that my apps can have more on-screen controls without crowding. In particular, texting and gmail are far easier (read: faster and more efficient) to navigate than they ever were on iPhone.
    I also think a lot of people just don't go anywhere. They are suburban folks who sit in their houses and aren't constantly on the move carrying things everywhere. If they do go somewhere, they drive. They also have large houses with extra space, and not tiny apartments. When you don't have to worry about carrying or storing something, the fact that it is big isn't really a detriment, and you only notice the positive aspects of bigness.
    Like I've said already, my Galaxy Note, arguably the largest smartphone currently available on the market, slides easily into my pocket with ZERO issues.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Oooooor they're just old and their eyes no longer focus up close any more. My mom and dad have this problem. My dad loves the huge screen on his Galaxy Nexus cause he can actually read it.
    That is literally the definition of an uncorrected vision problem.
  • Oooooor they're just old and their eyes no longer focus up close any more. My mom and dad have this problem. My dad loves the huge screen on his Galaxy Nexus cause he can actually read it.
    That is literally the definition of an uncorrected vision problem.
    No, there's nothing wrong with his eyes. He has 20/20 vision, but he needs reading glasses for anything up close. He's literally just old and his eyes aren't as flexible as they used to be.
  • Gonna actually agree with Rym on this one, George. The underlying reason isn't relevant to the fact that it's an uncorrected problem with his vision. :-)
  • RymRym
    edited September 2012
    No, there's nothing wrong with his eyes. He has 20/20 vision, but he needs reading glasses for anything up close. He's literally just old and his eyes aren't as flexible as they used to be.
    That is literally the definition of an uncorrected vision problem. He's farsighted, a common vision problem among older people.

Ever hear of bifocals? Trifocals? Reading glasses?

Post edited by Rym on
  • Like I've said already, my Galaxy Note, arguably the largest smartphone currently available on the market, slides easily into my pocket with ZERO issues.
    Yeah, my uncle has one and I love the size. It has no issues fitting in my pocket and isn't noticeably heavier. I mean it's still just a phone, it's nothing compared to a full size Glock which is one the things I've been known to also carry.