This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wii U

Comments

• edited November 2012
    I'm not sure how many people realize it is a joke article.
    I didn't! :D Good show!
    Yeah, I didn't realise either.

In retrospect, though, reasonable penis detection is rather a hard problem.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • It's a basic part of news reading on the Internet for me now. If I arrive at a story on a new website, I always check about to see it isn't Onion-like.

I found this one pretty funny:

http://p4r.buzzleberry.com/?p=486
  • I loved that interview.

It's effective humor because while the article itself is a joke, I could very easily see it being close to the truth. Nintendo's fear of vulgar communication between randomly-linked players is well known, and viewed by most as a bit over the top, so the mock interview did a great job lampooning that paranoia.
  • I kind of feel like no matter how good your penis detecting software, I can probably still draw a penis that doesn't get caught. I feel sad that we don't currently live in a world where that hypothesis can be tested :(
  • I would like a real 360 clone controler for the Wii U. Having X/Y and A/B reversed is messing me up, not to mention buttons being below the stick.
  • I kind of feel like no matter how good your penis detecting software, I can probably still draw a penis that doesn't get caught. I feel sad that we don't currently live in a world where that hypothesis can be tested :(
    Or draw something that isn't a penis, but is detected as penis. False-penis.
  • The first strong AI ever developed will be a penis detector; it will take over the world in order to remove all penises.
  • edited November 2012
    I kind of feel like no matter how good your penis detecting software, I can probably still draw a penis that doesn't get caught. I feel sad that we don't currently live in a world where that hypothesis can be tested :(
    Or draw something that isn't a penis, but is detected as penis. False-penis.
    While also a fun challenge, it unfortunately doesn't also have the consequence of other people seeing your drawing.
    I would like a real 360 clone controler for the Wii U. Having X/Y and A/B reversed is messing me up, not to mention buttons being below the stick.
    Verge and Polygon both mentioned this in their reviews. While it would be nice if Nintendo would just conform and be the same as everyone else on the market, I can see the advantage of not doing so for Nintendo - the SNES controller had the same button arrangement, and you have to be able to do the Virtual Console thing.
    The first strong AI ever developed will be a penis detector; it will take over the world in order to remove all penises.
    It will be a sad day indeed :(
    \_8==D_/
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • I would like a real 360 clone controler for the Wii U. Having X/Y and A/B reversed is messing me up, not to mention buttons being below the stick.
    The A/B/X/Y layout is how Nintendo has laid out their buttons for years. As stated above, it was how it was on the SNES and it's how every DS has been. Hell, having the confirmation button be on the right was the initial way that the PlayStation was laid out until SCEA randomly decided that they were going to make the X button the confirmation button instead of the Circle button. What would the incentive be for Nintendo to change it now?

• I don't want Nintendo to change I want an aftermarket solution.

I can deal with the buttons because while layout is different use is not. The stick placement though ...
  • I'm not saying run out and buy a Wii U, but I am saying that if you know someone who has one, grab some friends and plant yourself on that guy's couch for a day. Had a house full of people over yesterday to play, and we had an absolute blast playing the three 4-vs-1 games in Nintendoland.
  • I have to say i was surprised to see Assassins Creed 3 plays in 3D. There is no mention of 3D support on the box.
  • I really wasn't interested in Wii U at all whatsoever until this weekend. Now I kinda do want. I wish I could find something definitive about its graphical power but I haven't seen much by way of side to side comparison. It seems about as graphically capable as a 360?

I'm mostly excited by Epic Mickey 2 and the new drop-in co-op they added, followed by New Super Mario Bros U...
  • It's hard to properly compare games on Wii U to the other consoles. What we need is a game that is designed for each console not just ported. I have heard that Arkham City might be that game .
  • My main source of screenshot comparison is Amazon and Amazon has some seriously shitty screens of that game up for Wii U that make it very hard to judge. The promos make it look XBOX-like but it's hard to tell what's gameplay and what's cinematic. Ditto AC3.
  • Gauging the graphical capabilities from screenshots is going to be tricky. The first party Nintendo games look just as good as modern Xbox 360 games. Most of the ports look to be about on par, although a few have fallen short. This can only be because of rushed ports. As developers begin taking their time, Wii U will be on par graphically until we see new Xbox and Playstation hardware.
  • I'm not saying run out and buy a Wii U, but I am saying that if you know someone who has one, grab some friends and plant yourself on that guy's couch for a day. Had a house full of people over yesterday to play, and we had an absolute blast playing the three 4-vs-1 games in Nintendoland.
    I had a good number of my friends over during the release of the WiiU and we had a blast with Nintendo Land and NSMBWiiU. I also had my parents over for Thanksgiving, and they LOVED Mario Chase and the other fun little Nintendo Land games (which is great, since they are not gamers at all). Also sat down and played ZombiU local multiplayer with the person I'm dating, and it was a blast as well! They really enjoyed spawning zombie hordes on the gamepad, whilst I attempt to whittle away at their masses.

The asymmetrical nature of the Wii U adds an interesting dimension to couch multiplayer.

• The asymmetrical nature of the Wii U adds an interesting dimension to couch multiplayer.
    A dimension we could/should/did have with the Gamecube and GBA-GC link cable. It was innovative in 2002. It's late to the party in 2012.

• But was there ever a party in 2002? It seems there might be one now. If I can play shooty shooty while a non-gamer girlfriend can play drop-the-zombie-behind-Luke, a party there might just be.
  • Why do we have stupid shit like this?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H9506/monopoly-zapped-edition

Why not just have the board on one iPad and every player has their own iOS device for controlling their own things?
  • But was there ever a party in 2002? It seems there might be one now. If I can play shooty shooty while a non-gamer girlfriend can play drop-the-zombie-behind-Luke, a party there might just be.
    The party in 2002 was for the cool kids only. We rocked through Pacman Vs., Four Swords, and Crystal Chronicles. Then, to analogize, the beer ran out, and we left for a different party (PC gaming).

Ten years later, Nintendo showed up at the empty party again with a small case of beer.

I'm extremely dubious that they will continue to supply beer long enough for the party to resume.

• The asymmetrical nature of the Wii U adds an interesting dimension to couch multiplayer.
    A dimension we could/should/did have with the Gamecube and GBA-GC link cable. It was innovative in 2002. It's late to the party in 2012.
    Are there really enough people who feel burned by that huge missed opportunity to actually impact the Wii U's chances at success? If you're playing video game industry analyst here, there are plenty better reasons to be worried about the console. If not, it's just grumpy internet talk at it's finest.

I'm telling you right now, the party is here, and it is fun. The party might get old if developers let the asymetrical gameplay ideas get stale, but for now, you shouldn't let the fact that the Wii U is borrowing its innovation from 2002 prevent you from having a shitload of fun with your friends.

Why not just have the board on one iPad and every player has their own iOS device for controlling their own things?
    Until the youngest generation today grows up, the noun "Monopoly" means "Board Game" to the majority of people.

Sell that noun with as many crooked-slightly-so fingers as possible.

Can't sell an app in the toy aisle? Cheaply produced game box on shelves makes money.

• edited November 2012
    Ten years later, Nintendo showed up at the empty party again with a small case of beer.
    Well, it seems like Nintendo actually started a new (albeit very similar) party with at least a keg of beer. The console is actually dedicated to this type of gameplay (instead of being dependent on numerous external factors, like each player having a GBA and their own link cable), so I'm sure the number of games that support this type of gameplay will be much higher.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • The only thing I'm annoyed by with the Wii-U is that only motion-PLUS controllers are compatible. I mean, I get why that is, but that makes 3 out of 4 of my controllers worthless on the new system.

Granted, that's still a better ratio than other systems.
  • Are there really enough people who feel burned by that huge missed opportunity to actually impact the Wii U's chances at success? If you're playing video game industry analyst here, there are plenty better reasons to be worried about the console. If not, it's just grumpy internet talk at it's finest.
    Oh, it won't affect the viability of the console in the slightest. I'm just personally saddened that it took Nintendo, once known for its innovation and dominance, a full ten years to attempt this again. I personally don't trust that games for me will exist, at least for the next year, in enough quantity to bother buying one.
    I'm telling you right now, the party is here, and it is fun.
    The Wii-U is one line-item among dozens of unplayed Steam games I have. Nintendo doesn't get carte blanche with me anymore. ;^) I treat it the same way I treat any given game that comes out on Steam.
    The party might get old if developers let the asymetrical gameplay ideas get stale, but for now, you shouldn't let the fact that the Wii U is borrowing its innovation from 2002 prevent you from having a shitload of fun with your friends.
    Except that the list of games currently available for it is too small to bother. We bought all those link cables and acquired the extra GBAs for... four games. And then nothing.

If Nintendo delivers, I'll get a Wii-U. But right now, it's lower on the list than at least thirty Steam games.

• On Black Friday, they sold this game for $10. I bought 4, so I'm all set.

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Play-Motion-Black-Remote-Nintendo/dp/B004W4S1S8
  • On Black Friday, they sold this game for $10. I bought 4, so I'm all set.

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Play-Motion-Black-Remote-Nintendo/dp/B004W4S1S8
    Damn.