This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wii U

Comments

• Oh, it won't affect the viability of the console in the slightest. I'm just personally saddened that it took Nintendo, once known for its innovation and dominance, a full ten years to attempt this again. I personally don't trust that games for me will exist, at least for the next year, in enough quantity to bother buying one.
    Only ten years? How long was the break between Power Glove and Wii? Or Virtual Boy and 3DS.

• The asymmetrical nature of the Wii U adds an interesting dimension to couch multiplayer.
    A dimension we could/should/did have with the Gamecube and GBA-GC link cable. It was innovative in 2002. It's late to the party in 2012.
    Are there really enough people who feel burned by that huge missed opportunity to actually impact the Wii U's chances at success? If you're playing video game industry analyst here, there are plenty better reasons to be worried about the console. If not, it's just grumpy internet talk at it's finest.

I'm telling you right now, the party is here, and it is fun. The party might get old if developers let the asymetrical gameplay ideas get stale, but for now, you shouldn't let the fact that the Wii U is borrowing its innovation from 2002 prevent you from having a shitload of fun with your friends.

I do not doubt the party is here and fun. The first Wii was fun. We bowled a fuckton when that bad boy came out. But what will be in some months? Next year? How much dust will that bad boy collect?
  • edited November 2012
    Rym, you are not Nintendo's target audience anymore. Get used to it.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Hell, my Xboz has collected dust for months. I've re-bought XBLA games on Steam. My Xboz is a dead device right now except for if I want to play Pacman or SSFIV.
  • My XBOX is getting more use than ever. It's my most frequently powered up set-top box.
  • Since I got a 3D TV my PS3 has taken over.
  • On Black Friday, they sold this game for $10. I bought 4, so I'm all set.

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Play-Motion-Black-Remote-Nintendo/dp/B004W4S1S8
    Damn that's a good deal. I went down to my local retro game shop and they sold me one of the add-on Motion Plus dongles for $10, but they only had the one in stock.

Muppet, not every game requires the motion plus. I was under the impression that it did as well. So far, Mario, ZombiU, Tank Tank Tank all don't require it. Nintendoland does, but only for a small portion of the games.

I'm not spending the money to upgrade all of my controllers. Motion Plus is one of two big factors (the other being online play) that put Nintendo on my shit list. Most of my friends have a MP controller though, so if we are going to do 5-player, they can bring their own.
    I do not doubt the party is here and fun. The first Wii was fun. We bowled a fuckton when that bad boy came out. But what will be in some months? Next year? How much dust will that bad boy collect?
    This is the correct attitude. I only bought a Wii U b/c I wanted to be willfully irresponsible with my money, and be the one to bite the bullet for my friends. As much as I have been singing this console's praises, I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy one. All I'm saying is that even if you played GBA-GC to death, you'll still enjoy the Wii U games. Play them if you get the chance.
    Hell, my Xboz has collected dust for months. I've re-bought XBLA games on Steam. My Xboz is a dead device right now except for if I want to play Pacman or SSFIV.
    This is the picture of the adult gamer in this console era. I own Mass Effect 2 on 360 and PC by accident, b/c they were both under $5. I have played neither version. Once Wii U goes into its post-launch slump, I'll be right back to playing old games.

• I only bought a Wii U b/c I wanted to be willfully irresponsible with my money, and be the one to bite the bullet for my friends
    I share this exact sentiment, though I can honestly say that I am feeling like it is currently worth my money. Either way, I'm a huge Mass Effect fan, and I am ecstatic that I am able to play Mass Effect 3 in my bed, right before I go to sleep.

Worth it, I say!
  • I only bought a Wii U b/c I wanted to be willfully irresponsible with my money, and be the one to bite the bullet for my friends
    I share this exact sentiment, though I can honestly say that I am feeling like it is currently worth my money. Either way, I'm a huge Mass Effect fan, and I am ecstatic that I am able to play Mass Effect 3 in my bed, right before I go to sleep.

Worth it, I say!
    That's actually a good point. If the majority of games support this feature (and why wouldn't they?) the Wii-U could be the best *handheld* gaming system of this generation :)

• I'd be playing a pile of Wii games I have if I wasn't lazy... and that my pile of PC games is like 20 times as high...
  • I'd be playing a pile of Wii games I have if I wasn't lazy... and that my pile of PC games is like 20 times as high...
    How about you play Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door. I hear it's awesome.
    How about you play Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door. I hear it's awesome.
    It is an awesome game.

• edited November 2012
    Am I the only one who got tired of the Paper Mario games super fast? I can't tell if Scott's being sarcastic. Every now and then there is a funny line of dialogue in them, but otherwise I find them boring as all hell.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Am I the only one who got tired of the Paper Mario games super fast? I can't tell if Scott's being sarcastic. Every now and then there is a funny line of dialogue in them, but otherwise I find them boring as all hell.
    Which ones have you played? Thousand year door is a masterpiece. Also, I was saying that because Scojo has had my copy for years, and won't give it back.
  • I like the original two. People riff on Super Paper Mario, I found it a fun diversion. Different and less great than the first two, but fun if you're not looking for something identical to the previous two. I've heard Sticker Star is less than stellar.
  • edited November 2012
    Am I the only one who got tired of the Paper Mario games super fast? I can't tell if Scott's being sarcastic. Every now and then there is a funny line of dialogue in them, but otherwise I find them boring as all hell.
    Which ones have you played? Thousand year door is a masterpiece. Also, I was saying that because Scojo has had my copy for years, and won't give it back.
    I'm actually combining them in my head with the Mario & Luigi handheld games, so that might be part of the problem. I never played the original Paper Mario, played Thousand Year Door and enjoyed it but wasn't blown away by it. Same with Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. Had a really bad experience with Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time where it dragged ass at the end. Also thought Super Paper Mario was pretty boring once the novelty of flipping from 2D to 3D wore off.

My wife is getting Sticker Star for Christmas, so we'll see how that goes. Maybe I'll give it a try if she likes it. Also haven't tried Bowser's Inside Story which seemed to get crazy high review scores.

Post edited by Matt on
  • Am I the only one who got tired of the Paper Mario games super fast? I can't tell if Scott's being sarcastic. Every now and then there is a funny line of dialogue in them, but otherwise I find them boring as all hell.
    I'm actually combining them in my head with the Mario & Luigi handheld games, so that might be part of the problem. I never played the original Paper Mario, played Thousand Year Door and enjoyed it but wasn't blown away by it. Same with Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. Had a really bad experience with Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time where it dragged ass at the end. Also thought Super Paper Mario was pretty boring once the novelty of flipping from 2D to 3D wore off.

My wife is getting Sticker Star for Christmas, so we'll see how that goes. Maybe I'll give it a try if she likes it. Also haven't tried Bowser's Inside Story which seemed to get crazy high review scores.

If you didn't like Superstar Saga or Partners in Time, I don't see why you would like Bowser's Inside Story. It's basically the same thing.

You aren't wrong to clump those in with the Paper Mario games. Super Mario RPG is really the first one, and all of those follow from it. The formula is the same. JRPG + Mario. Make items and RPG elements simplified and add in some platforming and action gameplay so that it isn't just a game of numbers and grinding. Sprinkle on silliness, and you're all set.
  • Super Mario RPG is the best of them all, in my opinion.
  • edited November 2012
    The M&L games usually involved some light puzzling as well that I would argue was about equal with the numbers game.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I was recently in Flushing, and Gamestop had piles of Wii-Us for sale.
  • edited November 2012
    They are pretty much everyone. Go to Walmart or Target's website and just type in Wii U. They'll pop up as in-stock in 2/3 of your local stores. This is looking worse for Nintendo than I would have thought, and I had a pretty grim outlook. I'm a few steps closer to owning a Virtual Boy, but hoping it at least becomes a Dreamcast.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • They are pretty much everyone. Go to Walmart or Target's website and just type in Wii U. They'll pop up as in-stock in 2/3 of your local stores. This is looking worse for Nintendo than I would have thought, and I had a pretty grim outlook. I'm a few steps closer to owning a Virtual Boy, but hoping it at least becomes a Dreamcast.
    If you offered me a Dreamcast or a Virtual Boy right now, I would take the Virtual Boy. Dreamcast games can all be emulated, but mostly have been released or remade on other more modern systems. Virtual Boy games still need a Virtual Boy, and the novelty factor is way higher.
  • edited November 2012
    Nintendo announced the Wii Mini. It doesn't have any form of Internet connectivity. Nintendo is so out of it.
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/27/3698060/nintendo-wii-mini-no-internet-no-future
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • Nintendo announced the Wii Mini. It doesn't have any form of Internet connectivity. Nintendo is so out of it.
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/27/3698060/nintendo-wii-mini-no-internet-no-future
    I would argue the Wii was an offline system to begin with.

Anyone who used the VC was just doing so out of kindness. There are *other* means to play all of those games.

• Basic Wii U's are in stock. Black one? Not so much ...
  • I haven't seen one and I've been wandering around the Midwest casually shopping saying if I ran into a non-basic version I would buy it.
  • Basic Wii U's are in stock. Black one? Not so much ...
    There was a pile of black ones at Gamestop.