This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Looking for some kind of mixer..?

edited September 2012 in Everything Else
I have a bunch of speakers. I'd like to set them up in various locations around the house, and be able to put through audio from two different computers that are right next to each other to all of them. But I want individual sliders for every speaker, or set of speakers, so that I can easily turn off the speakers not in use. If I wanna finish a podcast in the shower, or watch a movie, I can push two sliders up, mute the ones on my desk, and move to my desired area.

The ideal form factor for what I want is a mixer-board like thing with a bunch of sliders, outputs, maybe mute buttons and little else. I'd like putting this between the two computers on the desk so it could also be used to manage volume for the computer speakers.

Now, my question is; What am I looking for? I'm thinking somewhere around 20 outputs~

Comments

• A mixer is the opposite of what you want. A mixer takes many inputs and mixes them into one output.

What you want is http://www.sonos.com/
  • Yeah. Mixers do not do that. Audio distribution boards/busses do that.
    Thank you for giving me something to google for. Any recommendations? Are some of these possible to also control through software?
    A mixer is the opposite of what you want. A mixer takes many inputs and mixes them into one output.

I can't quite see the product that fits my use case. I should mention I already have the speakers, and don't want to spend a bunch of money buying new ones.
    Thank you for giving me something to google for. Any recommendations? Are some of these possible to also control through software?
    A mixer is the opposite of what you want. A mixer takes many inputs and mixes them into one output.

I can't quite see the product that fits my use case. I should mention I already have the speakers, and don't want to spend a bunch of money buying new ones.
    You put a Sonos Connect on every stereo in the house. Now all of your separate stereos/amps are connected to your home network via wire or wireless. You can now centrally control all of them with the Sonos software. It's pretty much the only consumer product that does this.
  • I see how it works now. What I want should be much simpler though (it's also 500 bucks per set of speakers, and has a bunch of silly media playback features). I simply want to connect a bunch of speakers and have individual volume sliders for each speaker. I don't want it for the purpose of music streaming, but for playing whatever sound either computer is making.

I wonder if I'll have to make this myself, and if it would be easy or not.
  • I see how it works now. What I want should be much simpler though (it's also 500 bucks per set of speakers, and has a bunch of silly media playback features). I simply want to connect a bunch of speakers and have individual volume sliders for each speaker. I don't want it for the purpose of music streaming, but for playing whatever sound either computer is making.

I wonder if I'll have to make this myself, and if it would be easy or not.
    You'll at least need an amplifier of some kind for the speakers unless you get powered speakers, which are speakers with amps built in.

Yes, Sonos is very expensive, but there's a reason for that. Like I said, no competitors. Building this yourself is possible, but will be a pain in the ass and will require many many wires.

What you should really look into is equipment from used public address systems. That's the most common use case where the same sound is played out of many speakers spread out over a wide area. They usually don't have the ability to centrally enable or disable different speakers, though. They are sort of an "everything is on all the time" system.

I have three sound systems, and here is how I handle it.

Computer plays out of its own speakers.

HTPC can stream music via iTunes/NAS/Internet to itself and play out of the big sound system.

In the bedroom the iPhone connects to an amp to the bedroom speakers with a wire, and I can stream music from iTunes/NAS/Internet.

Instead of doing the switching at the speaker level, I have all the music available on the regular old network. Then I just put a networked device where the speakers are.

If you can get computers for less than the price of a Sonos connect, like Rasberry Pi, you can put one of the computers on every amp. The problem is that you will have to write some software that allows you to control them centrally, or put a mouse/keyboard/display on each and every one.
  • Look at Intercom systems. Try to get an older one used.

Mixers have a small number of outputs: they won't do what you need.
  • Look at Intercom systems. Try to get an older one used.

Mixers have a small number of outputs: they won't do what you need.
    Intercom systems are good at sending audio a long distance and switching it, but they are not so great for music. You can usually barely hear the person talking, let alone get good fidelity for a song.
  • edited September 2012
    The speakers all either have amps built in, or a stereo associated with them. Part of why I want to do this is so I can cut those amps out, and have a single unit controlling and powering all of the speakers. Distance is not nearly long enough to where wires would be a problem (this is europe..). The main purpose is not listening to music, so some minimal loss in quality is perfectly fine. At least for the bathroom and kitchen.

So the ideal solution is to have a Rasberry Pi, and a powerplug -> USB adapter behind every set of speakers, set them up to be controlled remotely and then make a physical device with a bunch of sliders? Do you not think a day of effort is enough to make a centralized powering solution with a bunch of outputs with individual volumes?
    Post edited by Aria on
  • You can't not have amplifiers. If you use Raspberry Pi, you will need a soundcard or amp on each one.
  • Jacks can't transfer power? But jacks are bigger than those tiny wires that go on the back of stereos!
  • edited September 2012
    Buy Apple Airport Expresses or AppleTV's and run iTunes on the computers. Streams Audio (and Video) to multiple speakers with individual volume controls for each Express/AppleTV. Cheaper than Sonos and does what you want.

Doesn't cut out the amps though.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • Does this work with streaming soundcard output, or only audio files? Also, does it work without iTunes and on Linux?
  • Jacks can't transfer power? But jacks are bigger than those tiny wires that go on the back of stereos!
    It's not the size of the wire it's how you use it.

• edited September 2012
    This would only work with audio files. I am not aware of any Linux based projects that have reverse engineered the Airplay protocol. In theory it's possible but not very likely.

I have seen other dongle based solutions at the local Hi-Fi shops but they are all in the same price range as Sonos.

I would go with getting a decent amp, wire all the speakers up to it and build your own physical volume control slider array through which all the speaker cables go.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • If you have some EE/CS know how you can probably build what you want with some multiplexers and a microcontroller. You would have to find some muxes that have good frequency response so as to not destroy audio.
  • Buy an Apple iPad and you can carry it anywhere in your house and also use it to listen to podcasts or watch movies.
  • I have one of those, and a smaller tablet. Those things don't survive showers. Also, VNC on the Apple is no good.