This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Save my art classroom.

I'm cross posting from my Facebook and a few other forums online, and it's copypasta, but it's super important.

So this year my budget for art supplies has officially hit $0. I am not getting a dime and I'm not exaggerating.

This is not a result of unwise spending on my part or squandering it on special items. Our student population has gotten a bit smaller than previous years, and since funding is based on attendance, I'm getting the short end of the financial stick. I'm running out of all-purpose white paper. I'm running out of ceramic clay. I'm very low on paints and brushes. I'm almost out of regular old white glue. My last order managed to carry me through a year and a half, but I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel for supplies. I already dropped my own money on a single student who needed specific supplies, since students are selecting their own projects this year.

Donors Choose has turned our school down because we're technically a not-for-profit and not a k-12 public school.

ReditGifts for teachers had one taker who is sending me something, but it probably will be a small gift from a single person who is very kind and generous. I haven't received it yet and have no idea what is inside the package.

I'm going to toot my own horn here and say that I'm a damn good art teacher, but without supplies I'm going to be at a complete loss. There's a long list of stuff I would really like, and a really short list of what I'm going to be screwed without. I teach all special-needs kids who have everything ranging from ADHD to severe social/psychological issues and everything in-between, with some combinations just for kicks.

I hate begging, but there you have it. Anyone, ANYONE, can donate at the link. Share it with everyone and anyone you know. Let them know that the arts program is scrambling for cash and supplies, and right now it's just me and the director trying to get supplies. If you can't help with money or supplies, help by sharing the Adopt-A-Class link with everyone you know. Maybe enough people can throw money at this problem to fix it.

Link to donate money via Adopt-A-Classroom

If you want to see a list of what I am trying to buy for my classroom:
Blick Art Wishlist

If you have any questions, let me know and I'll answer as promptly as I can.

Comments

• I shared this on Facebook, and sent some money. I hope you get enough to do some awesome projects that you've been talking about.
  • I'm getting an amazing response. People from Sturmgrenadier have already donated a load of paint, paper, and brushes. Family and friends are telling me they're going to donate to the adopt-a-class site too.

I gotta say, it's amazing.
  • Hell yeah! I'm going to be proud to say that I'm one of the first ones that donated. I hope you end up reaching your goal, good sir!
  • Tumbled, Tweeted and Facebooked. Hopefully some nice rich people follow me.
  • Can't do this myself, but I'll pass it on to my parents and see what happens. I'm sure we can at least hook you up with some stuff from Blick.
  • It'll be on the next FNPL. It's not my place to go dictating these things...But I know what Victor is like, and I can tell you that if he didn't plug it, I would - But I'm pretty damned sure he'd plug it.
  • In providence, we have this program called "Second Life" (not what you think). Since there are so many universities, each with an art program, students throw out a lot of art supplies at the end of the school year. Kids involved with the program dumpster dive / man donation bins and resell the materials to ??? profit. Anyway.. was just thinking that'd be cool to do with the aim of supplying teachers like you..
  • Adam, have you tried posting on Craig's List and/or keeping an eye on the yard sale type ads? Lots of times there will be people getting rid of art supplies there. I'll pass this along wherever I can.
  • edited September 2012
    It'll be on the next FNPL. It's not my place to go dictating these things...But I know what Victor is like, and I can tell you that if he didn't plug it, I would - But I'm pretty damned sure he'd plug it.
    You're damn right I will. In fact, Chrubs, you and me can record something right now to put on the site.
    EDIT: as soon as I can wrangle you.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • If I had money, I would totally donate some.
  • It'll be on the next FNPL. It's not my place to go dictating these things...But I know what Victor is like, and I can tell you that if he didn't plug it, I would - But I'm pretty damned sure he'd plug it.
    You're damn right I will. In fact, Chrubs, you and me can record something right now to put on the site.
    First edition of Friday Night Party Lite?
  • edited September 2012
    It'll be on the next FNPL. It's not my place to go dictating these things...But I know what Victor is like, and I can tell you that if he didn't plug it, I would - But I'm pretty damned sure he'd plug it.
    First edition of Friday Night Party Lite?
    Monday Night Small Gathering of Close Friends?
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • I'm getting an amazing response.
    I'm glad to hear you're getting a strong response.

It makes me ill to know how many teachers have to do their own fundraising. I'm glad you posted this here, and gave us the chance to support your work.

• For the price of those art supplies, we can buy half a box of bullets for our brave military...
  • For the price of those art supplies, we can buy half a box of bullets for our brave military...
    With the price of ammo theses days? More like a quarter of a box.

But seriously, this seems like a good cause. I'll give what I can.

Remind me sometime to tell you about sending a Camelback to my brother-in-law when he was serving in Iraq. A) If REI says they ship there, I should be able to take them at their word. B) No, he can't easily ship it back to you if you send him black instead of camo, and yes it does make a difference to a soldier. C) Why the hell isn't the Army providing the supplies he needs? And yeah, this went way beyond the Camelback.

Epilogue: He's home safe.
  • edited September 2012
    Yeah I know, we throw all that money down a hole and we STILL don't protect our soldiers out there doing the "elite's" dirty work. I remember the stories about inadequate body and vehicle armor and the community fundraisers trying to keep their brothers, husbands, and sons from getting killed for lack of equipment.

What a fucking disaster our country is.

EDIT: also as soon as I get paid this week, I'll chip in a couple bucks. Where's your classroom, out of curiosity?
    Post edited by muppet on
  • "Irregular youth" is my new favorite term for special needs kids.
  • Holy crap, it's already at $1,125. Nice.
  • I don't have money to donate, but I am plugging it on my webcomic site. I hope it helps a bit.
  • Hell yeah! I'm proud of everyone who donated/contributed to this!
  • Aauuugh, I don't think it'll let me donate since I'm out of the country (unless I'm missing something?). D: Are there any other means of sending you money?
  • Aauuugh, I don't think it'll let me donate since I'm out of the country (unless I'm missing something?). D: Are there any other means of sending you money?
    Unmarked envelope with 3 (Note, exactly 3) red ketchup stains. (It'll arrive faster if the ketchup looks like dried blood.)
  • holy shit $1305! I think the kids shall have arts.
  • edited September 2012
    Guys, this is so amazing. The efforts have been tremendous and the total is now higher than the goal by $5. On top of that, supplies from Sturmgrenadier and other supporters are on their way, which means the money donated will go even further.

With all the ludicrous stuff that happens on the internet, it's things like this that give me back my faith in humanity, and reaffirm that I know some of the best people on the planet.

The PSA was awesome and made me feel super-special. I'm going to use that silence as soon as I get to school tomorrow.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • edited September 2012
    People are still giving. The total is up to $1355 and Sturmgrenadier still has people ordering supplies of my list for me. We've passed the goal, but that doesn't appear to be good enough for people who saw my posts and my humble (hopefully) request.

What is even this?! I'm so moved. I'm running out of manly tears pictures to post.

EDIT: As I was typing this, paper and paint arrived at my door from Blick Art.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on