This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FTL: Faster Than Light

edited September 2012 in Video Games
This game gets its own thread.
http://www.ftlgame.com/

If you don't have it yet, you are missing out. I recommend buying it from their website (it's through Humble Bundle) so you get it DRM free for Windows/Mac/Linux AND a Steam key.

Just got lucky enough to make it to the final boss battle on easy with the Engi Torus. Two simple tips I've found to help you do a bit better: pause very frequently and disable the enemy's weapons systems as soon as possible.
Post edited by trogdor9 on

Comments

• Yeah, I was joking about unlocking all the ships on one run, but I agree with your strategy. Generally, I power all weapons systems before I jump, target shields with my missiles and a half-second later fire a beam burst at weapons. It's pretty effective.
  • I'm probably wrong, but everything I've seen of this game makes it sound boring.
  • A few things I wish they'd fix with this game:
    1. More keyboard shortcuts! No hotkey to FTL jump? Lame. Not totally critical, I suppose, since you can pause all the time, but it gets sort of tedious.
    2. Every now and then, the game just straight up fucks you.
  • Needs controller support so I can play it on my HTPC and pretend I'm a starship captain.
  • The Red-Tail is pretty sweet. Med bay is right by the transporter. Starts with four basic lasers, which together are enough to kill up to class 3 shields, though since there's a lot of misses usually you only want to use it up to class 2.

Right out the door I upgrade to shields 2 as soon as I can. It's basically immunity to all but missiles. That may only work on easy since you fight slightly weaker ships.

My build at the end though was heavily luck based. Two crystal weapons, breach bomb II, and pegasus. Defense drone mk II. Shields 3. Transporter 3. Cloak 2. Medbay 2. Engines 5. Three crystal golems and a rock guy on my crew, two humans, one mantis, one energy guy. So boarding wasn't a huge issue.

Getting the crystal quest is a double bonus since you get a whole extra sector to clear.
  • edited September 2012
    Bought it after the forum banter about it piqued my interest. Enjoying it enough so far, especially how well the gameplay and theme merge, but I wish there were more to it. The unlockables are difficult and scarce, so you're left playing over and over trying to reach that next achievement. A secret-bloated, Binding of Isaac-style you-are-bound-to-unlock-two-or-three-things-with-every-other-playthrough system would have fit perfectly.

Although from Creamsteaks post it sounds like I really need to aim for The Red Tail. Having four lasers sounds like a hot time. My best run so far has involved 3 anti-ship drones and a crazy number of shields on The Torus. Unfortunately, I got to the boss and ran out of drones...
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • On my first run on easy, I got to the boss sector with the human ship on easy by focusing on weapons, boarding, and getting lucky, but then I lost a third of my crew in a boarding action and died. Blast doors can be more useful than you might think, because it lets you just vent boarders instead of having to retreat to the med bay.
  • I wonder if I can config the entire ship to vent save for essential systems...
  • Venting boarders! Genius idea.
  • Reminder: Never vent your medical room, the blast doors room, or the oxygen room.
  • Why not the blast doors room or oxygen room? I vent them on a regular basis...
  • Why not the blast doors room or oxygen room? I vent them on a regular basis...
    Think about what happens if an enemy is able to damage those systems while there's no oxygen in the rooms. If they shoot the blast door room, then you can't close your doors anymore and you're fucked. If they shoot the oxygen room, you can't fix the system without sending one of your guys into a room with 0% oxygen.
  • Does the oxygen room have to be connected to another room to supply it? Otherwise, I could theoretically partition the Engi ship in half - one part of the crew stays near the oxygen and engines, the other half near the blast doors, surveillance, and cockpit. Medbay could be sacrificed because of the nanobot healers...

You know it's a good game when you're daydreaming about it at work.
  • Rockman crew? Vent all rooms, no problem.

Also, really hope an expansion lets you kit out your crew with tools, HazMat/Fire/EVA suits, etc. Then you could have crewmen subspecialized as firefighters, engineers, and marines.

Also, using EVA suits with tethers would be a killer way to manage hull repair.
  • Is this game demanding, resource wise? I wonder whether I could run it on my integrated graphics chip...
  • Think about what happens if an enemy is able to damage those systems while there's no oxygen in the rooms. If they shoot the blast door room, then you can't close your doors anymore and you're fucked. If they shoot the oxygen room, you can't fix the system without sending one of your guys into a room with 0% oxygen.
    Sure, so you send in more guys and the work gets done sooner. There are other tricks like pooling the air from multiple rooms together as a last resort.

I'm also getting into the habit of always upgrading all my systems to at least level 2 including oxygen, so they can survive a glancing hit.
  • Is this game demanding, resource wise? I wonder whether I could run it on my integrated graphics chip...
    It's pixels.
    It's pixels.
    Everything is pixels.
  • It's not demanding.
  • I'll try it on my laptop tonight. (So I can play it on the plane to India).
  • Gonna check it out when I get home and out from behind the nanny firewall work has saddled us with. :P
  • Needs controller support so I can play it on my HTPC and pretend I'm a starship captain.
    Controller wouldn't give right feeling of captainship. You need someone else to control the game while you sit in your captain's chair and issue commands.

• You need eight players, each in charge of one of the crew members.
    I had big plans in my twenties for creating a "Laser Tag" style starship battle theater like this using networked computers and strobe lights and big screen TVs and shit on two "bridge" sets. Never came to fruition but man, it'd be awesome (but hard to stay profitable I think.)
  • edited September 2012
    It's super-low on requirements. Buy it!

Edit: Runs with no lag on my X220.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I want to get a build with four burst IIs and see how that works.
    I had big plans in my twenties for creating a "Laser Tag" style starship battle theater like this using networked computers and strobe lights and big screen TVs and shit on two "bridge" sets. Never came to fruition but man, it'd be awesome (but hard to stay profitable I think.)
    This reminds me, I need to get my group together to play more Artemis.

http://www.artemis.eochu.com/
  • edited September 2012
    You need eight players, each in charge of one of the crew members.
    it exists

EDIT: Guys, we are awesome.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • I want to get a build with four burst IIs and see how that works.
    Missile to shields + a beam salvo from two or more cannons is borderline OP. Only boarding actions balance it.