This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Name This PC Game

edited September 2012 in Video Games
Friend on Facebook is trying to identify a late '90s PC game and I'm all out of gas. I also think he may not be remembering things perfectly, but here goes anyway.

"I know there was another Deus Ex pc game that came out before the 2000 one. The cover of he box was maroon/dark red with this bi-pedal mech walking on it. The game started with you parachuting onto this planet into a canyon type area and there was a hut. From there you could do anything, hell the med kit allowed you to amputate if you had to. Does anyone remember the full name of the game?"

I highly doubt there was an earlier Deus Ex game before, you know, Deux Ex, that I never heard of. I did look up previous Warren Spector games though and the Crusader games match his description. He says it's not them. Also says it's not Snowblind, or any of the MechWarrior 2 series games.

Comments

• The plot thickens: " If you got injured in the game you had to sit there in the menu and patch yourself up. Ya get cut, then you had to inject pain killer then suture it up then bandage it. Had to worry about food and water. No this was not ptsd from a bad camping trip."
  • edited September 2012
    This, and it has nothing to do with Deus Ex.
    Post edited by thaneofcawdor on
  • Thanks! That's what I though. I can see how he would remember things wrong, though, given the title. Never heard of that one.
  • Aside from being on a PC and being from the 90s, his description is almost exactly Snake Eater. :D
  • edited September 2012
    Kind of want to play Snake Eater again, now. Probably tied with Twin Snakes as the best MGS game.

I definitely would, if it wasn't for the fact that Hideo Kojima only makes movies with games as intermissions.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Twin snakes? Are you sure you want to make that claim?
  • Twin snakes? Are you sure you want to make that claim?
    I'd be willing to back him up on that. Name one MGS game better. Two was a complete mess, even in retrospect, three was good, and four just kinda fucked around a bit.
  • Uhh... the original MGS?
  • Uhh... the original MGS?
    Twin Snakes is an enhanced remake of MGS. It's MGS, but with better graphics and controls.
  • The gameplay is better mostly because you can go into first person, but most of the new cutscenes were incredibly stupid. They changed a decent amount of the dialog too.
  • And Snake kicking rockets back at helicopters.
  • edited September 2012
    And Snake kicking rockets back at helicopters.
    Exactly
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Eh. I'll be honest, I didn't mind Snake flipping around like an action star as much as some people did. I thought it was, all-in-all, a pretty good experience.

I'm also wondering how much of the dialog changes were because the original translation was probably pretty poor by today's standards.
  • Eh. I'll be honest, I didn't mind Snake flipping around like an action star as much as some people did. I thought it was, all-in-all, a pretty good experience.

I'm also wondering how much of the dialog changes were because the original translation was probably pretty poor by today's standards.
    SECRET WEAPON

METAL GEAR!?

Eh, I can't really remember. It's been a while since I've played both those games. Although, I do want to play the original again.

I've tried three different times to beat the second game but I just can't stand it.
  • I legitimately thought MGS2 was the best game ever when I first got the PS2. I'd play it for like eight hours straight (and the Colonel would ring me on the codec and tell me to stop playing). I even raved to my mom about how revolutionary this game was.

Ah, the follies of youth.
  • My friend who is a pretty big MGS fan thinks it's great, but I think he mostly thinks the bosses in it were the best in any of the MGS games.
  • Yeah, the characters (minus Raiden and Rose, fuck them) were really awesome, the art was fantastic, and I actually enjoyed the gameplay. The story was a huge clusterfuck, though. Plot is one of those things that can't make a game good on its own, but can definitely fuck it up entirely.
  • Wasn't the MGS localization done by Jeremy Blaustein, one of the better game localizers in the biz?

Also, Twin Snakes using MGS2 controls and tranq guns completely fucked the way the game played.
  • I suppose if I'm honest, I do like PSX MGS1 more than TS.