This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX AUS 2013

1789101113»

Comments

• What?! Seriously?! You had better share said stories on FNPL this month.
    We have listeners? OH DANG. FNPL IS TOO MAINSTREAM FOR ME NOW.
  • edited July 2013
    You think that's special? Casa Vino recognized my voice from the, like, one time I was on Atomic Trivia War 9000 back in its early days.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • What?! Seriously?! You had better share said stories on FNPL this month.
    We have listeners? OH DANG. FNPL IS TOO MAINSTREAM FOR ME NOW.
    Not gonna lie, I was starting to wonder if I was the only one listening to you.
  • So I've been worried about where Churba's gone, didn't think to look in here.
  • You think that's special? Casa Vino recognized my voice from the, like, one time I was on Atomic Trivia War 9000 back in its early days.
    Ha! We had a good laugh over that.
    FNPL, Fast Karate, Geeknights, and ATW9K feature prominently on my podcast playlist.

• Same here. That said, my favourite podcast at the moment is probably Judge John Hodgman.
  • edited July 2013
    So, I actually got quite a few extra League of Legends skin codes from PAX (that's the main reason I took so many bags), so either I will give away a whole bunch or I will sell them. I think the latter is probably against the EULA for LoL, but someone who doesn't play the game wouldn't even be bound by that and, I should think, would still be able to sell skin codes.

It's still against eBay's policy, though, I guess.

I think the worst decision would be to leave the skin codes to expire, because then no-one benefits (except Riot, to a very slight extent).
  • I had an awesome time at PAX. I must admit to a little post-PAX depression, especially after my brother left for home, but some subsequent gaming and meeting Rym & Scott helped me snap out of it.

Next year I want to get involved and make sure the indie RPG presence is improved, possibly with help from Games On Demand. Rym and Scott suggested it so basically I now have to do it. This post is part of my anti-shittalk prevention strategy.
  • Games I played:

Modern Art x 2 (came 2nd to Scott, 2nd to another guy)
    Hive x 5 (Scott won 2 to my 1; Dmitri won 1 and then we tied)
    Glory to Rome (lost miserably to Dmitri)
    Battle Line x 2 (lost to Rym & Dmitri)
    Pandemic x 2, Flashpoint x 1 (who cares)

I guess I'm not that good at games. Dmitri is super smart BTW, all the games he won it was like his first or second time playing. I've never seen anyone pick up games and win so quickly.
  • I tend to spell my name "Dimitri"; it's a little less standard but it makes more sense in English that way.
    I guess I'm not that good at games.
    You played well in every game I played with you, and you were rarely far from winning; I can't say that I recall you making any big mistakes or obvious blunders. Also, keep in mind that we're looking at a fairly small sample size here, so don't draw too much from it.
    Next year I want to get involved and make sure the indie RPG presence is improved, possibly with help from Games On Demand. Rym and Scott suggested it so basically I now have to do it. This post is part of my anti-shittalk prevention strategy.
    Yeah, do it. I'm really lucky you brought the Burning Wheel books and I got to play The Sword, but I bet a lot of other people would love that opportunity as well.
  • So, I actually got quite a few extra League of Legends skin codes from PAX (that's the main reason I took so many bags), so either I will give away a whole bunch or I will sell them. I think the latter is probably against the EULA for LoL, but someone who doesn't play the game wouldn't even be bound by that and, I should think, would still be able to sell skin codes.

It's still against eBay's policy, though, I guess.

I think the worst decision would be to leave the skin codes to expire, because then no-one benefits (except Riot, to a very slight extent).
    You could always share with your internet friends. I have PAX Jax, but none of the other PAX skin codes.

Or sell them on Ebay anyway. I know Ro has mentioned that Jeremy has sold them in the past.
  • edited July 2013
    I've shared a few with my friends; I think they're only for the Oceanic server, or I would've posted about it here. That said, if anyone here wants the codes, I'd be happy to send them over.
  • edited July 2013
    Since that seems to be the thing to do, I guess I'll also give a quick summary of what I played.

Glory to Rome x 2 (lost to Scott in 4 player with Prad and Rym, won against Paul and one other)
    Hanabi x 3? (played with Prad, Rym, Scott, and someone else at one point. We got scores of 18 or 19 most games, with blunders from various people).
    Power Grid x 1 (I had a very close game, but ended up 2nd to someone else. People from Brisbane who were sharing accommodation with me played in this one).
    Dominion x 2 (Knockout with 3 rounds of 4-player games. I won the first and narrowly lost the second).
    Hive x 2 (won vs Paul, then tied with him).
    Battle Line x 1 (beat Paul).
    Modern Art x 1 (Came last out of 4, I think. I know I played badly in this one).

Burning Wheel - The Sword (with Rym as DM, and with Mamath, Jeremy, and Dale (thaneofcawdor). It was an amusing comedy of errors, but in the end I died heroically of starvation).
  • edited July 2013
    I would've played more, but I had to learn almost all of these games since the only ones I had played before were Power Grid (only once) and Dominion.
  • This PAX was my first exposure to board games (or proper ones at least). No one I know plays these games so I could never try them out.

I liked everyone I played and then got home ready to buy some and found that they were for the most part sold out.

I got smashed by Scott in Glory to Rome but the depth of this game really got my interest peaked.

Hanabi I think we ended up play 3 or 4 times, its definitely the "gateway drug". So much fun.

Scott taught me how to play the very basics of Android Netrunner but no one wanted to play me the rest of the days as everyone was playing Magic. So I learned how to play Magic at their booth then sat down with a ready to go deck and beat 3 people in a row (beginners luck I guess).

Modern Art was great even though I misunderstood the value of the colours for the first 2 turns then got outplayed in the 2nd game by everyone. It's really one which you can crack open at any time.

Now I'm going to find some groups to play with in my city.

I ended up coming in 6th in the Counterstrike competition which I was surprised at considering there were many pro players present. I didn't realise that having played for a year on such a poor ping year would assist me so much.

Definitely going to spend some time and money on these board games now.
  • Or sell them on Ebay anyway. I know Ro has mentioned that Jeremy has sold them in the past.
    Well, I made $40 in total; I'm pretty happy with that.
  • I'm pretty sure I have a spare Magica code around here somewhere, too. Anyone who wants it, all yours.
  • Since you will have copious free time at PAX AUS to play board games, here is your "to do" list:

- T'Zolkin: The Mayan Calendar
    - Terra Mystica
    - Village
    - Belfort

I expect a full report.
    Did you guys do your homework assignment?

• Since you will have copious free time at PAX AUS to play board games, here is your "to do" list:

- T'Zolkin: The Mayan Calendar
    - Terra Mystica
    - Village
    - Belfort

I expect a full report.
    Did you guys do your homework assignment?

Played T'Zolkin and Village.

Well, we didn't finish playing T'Zolkin.

30%
  • edited August 2013
    The Australian Video Game show I talk about knowing people in did some coverage of PAX. Here is the episode.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Man, this thread is going to need a name change, since PAX AUS 2014 has been confirmed for Melbourne Convention & Exhibition Centre, 31 Oct - 2 Nov.
  • Man, this thread is going to need a name change, since PAX AUS 2014 has been confirmed for Melbourne Convention & Exhibition Centre, 31 Oct - 2 Nov.
    New year, new thread.
  • Fair enough.