This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX AUS 2013

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Any more news on where this is? I am definitely not going to be able to go this year, but next year is a possibility if the airfare isn't horrible. One across the ocean trip per year.
    Zero, so far, other than a few people only JUST finding out about the cosplay rules that were introduced just before prime 2011, and freaking out because they think they're new for PAX Australia.

It's been quiet as a tomb since the Kotaku rumor, but I think there may be more news soon. About the only news I have to offer you is that the Protomen are likely to be there.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Hey, that's not bad. It'd be cool to get to hang out with you Australian peeps and buy you some local Australian beer with your crazy Monopoly money. Pretty sure spending that stuff doesn't count with my bank account.
  • Hey, that's not bad. It'd be cool to get to hang out with you Australian peeps and buy you some local Australian beer with your crazy Monopoly money. Pretty sure spending that stuff doesn't count with my bank account.
    Too right. You like pale ales? I know a bloody good local pale ale that you can't go wrong with.

Also, I'm looking into financial stuffs for this. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.
  • "After much speculation, the first international PAX will be held in Melbourne, Australia from the 19th to the 21st of July."

Registration is open now.

http://www.paxaustralia.com.au/
  • edited October 2012
    Also, don't know if I'll be going, in that case - I don't have the disposable income for a 3 day pass for at least a week or two, and everything will be sold out by then. Not to mention the fact that being a big white dude from Queensland without even the redeeming quality of a university degree, I'm about as welcome in Melbourne as a black man at a Klan rally. Though if I can get tickets, I'll be going regardless of that unpleasantness. But of all the fucking luck of timing for putting up tickets, what a bloody pain in the arse.
    Edit - Unless the idea I'm currently carrying out as I type this pans out. Which isn't unlikely, but it's not super likely either.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • "After much speculation, the first international PAX will be held in Melbourne, Australia from the 19th to the 21st of July."

Registration is open now.

http://www.paxaustralia.com.au/
    That better be $115 AUS dollars for a 3 day pass or you guys are going to get fucked.
  • There is no data on PAX Aus sales yet. No telling if it'll actually sell out quickly.

There are still single-day passes for PAX east at this point, much to my surprise.
  • edited October 2012
    There is no data on PAX Aus sales yet. No telling if it'll actually sell out quickly.

There are still single-day passes for PAX east at this point, much to my surprise.
    True. But considering the enormous enthusiasm for PAX, and the amount of people both flying in from overseas and those locally(it's literally the most anticipated event of this scale in the country so far this or next year), I'd say that betting otherwise would be a poor move indeed. Not to mention scalpers, of course.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • There is no data on PAX Aus sales yet. No telling if it'll actually sell out quickly.
    I thought they usually just said when they were sold out. Do they normally provide data on sales, or is there especially a pausity of information this time around?
  • He's saying that since this is the first PAX AUS, we can't make projections based on previous sales.
  • edited October 2012
    He's saying that since this is the first PAX AUS, we can't make projections based on previous sales.
    I'd say you're correct, but I'd also say it would be foolish to bet against the passes selling out fast.

Also, as often happens when I yell at people and pull in favors, I now have a 3-day pass. I had JUST enough overdue debtors that I was able to scrape it together fast.

Also, I'll have a BUNCH of info for melbourne coming out in the coming days. I just need to finish polish and get everything in order.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I now have a 3-day pass.
  • I was stoked to go but I may wait until next year. I'll branch out to east and see how that goes.
  • edited October 2012
    Don't worry Churbs, I'll wear a flannel shirt and a beanie, just to make you feel welcome.

Also, 3 day pass m-effin get! Super stoked right now. Now we just have to spend the next several months planning the parties.

OMGPAXLOL.
    Post edited by thaneofcawdor on
  • I will not be able to afford it this time around. NEXT TIME.

Next time.
  • edited October 2012
    Don't worry Churbs, I'll wear a flannel shirt and a beanie, just to make you feel welcome.
    It's okay, I'll just wear my bombers scarf and talk about film photography and typewriters. Nobody will notice anything amiss with such a cunning disguise.
    Also, 3 day pass m-effin get! Super stoked right now. Now we just have to spend the next several months planning the parties.
    I now have a 3-day pass.
    I am pleased by these developments.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Damn, these flights are expensive. I know my chances of hitting PAX AUS are miniscule, but that doesn't help. A quick search was turning up minimum $2,000 results.
  • Well, I guess this calls for a concerted effort to find cheaper flights to/from the U.S.

Maybe we could use http://flightfox.com/ ?
  • edited October 2012
    Well, I guess this calls for a concerted effort to find cheaper flights to/from the U.S.

I agree, that's way too steep. Where are you based, Matt?

Also, as a rule, it's going to be cheaper for west-coasters than east-coasters(because that's the side we're closest to by about a thousand miles), but not always.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited October 2012
    One good thing about something like Flightfox in this kind of situation is that the finder's fee is a one-time payment, but everyone who wants to catch that flight would be able to benefit from the cheapest fare.

I don't know how effective it really is, but I suspect given the crowdsourcing effect you could get prices that are much lower than a typical search engine would find.

EDIT: Here's an article on it.

EDIT #2:
    Apparently they have discounts via referral links as well.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Well, I guess this calls for a concerted effort to find cheaper flights to/from the U.S.

Also, as a rule, it's going to be cheaper for west-coasters than east-coasters(because that's the side we're closest to by about a thousand miles), but not always.
    I'm about 15 minutes drive from Newark International (EWR), but any NYC-based airport would work.

I'm about 15 minutes drive from Newark International (EWR), but any NYC-based airport would work.
    Easy easy. Remember, looking for direct flights is often more expensive, you might get a bit of deal if you catch a flight into south east asia, and then hop a code-share to a major Australian city. Flights between Australian cities can get surprisingly cheap, if you're lucky. I'll keep looking.

• Oof, it's about $2000 right now from NYC. If anyone around here wants to band together to find a cheaper fare, I'd be very interested.
  • Oof, it's about $2000 right now from NYC. If anyone around here wants to band together to find a cheaper fare, I'd be very interested.
    You won't find one.
  • Yeah, I figured as much. I suppose I'll buy tickets in two weeks when I get my paycheck. Hopefully it won't go up by too much until then.
    You won't find one.
    Want to bet?
  • edited October 2012
    Oof, it's about $2000 right now from NYC. If anyone around here wants to band together to find a cheaper fare, I'd be very interested.
    You won't find one.
    Want to bet?
    Sounded like he did. What do you think for appropriate stakes?

Edit - of course, keeping in mind that he will benefit too, if he hasn't already bought a ticket.

Post edited by Churba on
  • edited October 2012
    Oof, it's about $2000 right now from NYC. If anyone around here wants to band together to find a cheaper fare, I'd be very interested.
    You won't find one.
    Relevant:
    For interstate & international travellers we're working on getting PAX specific discounted flights sorted within the next month. Stay tuned!
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • If the flights are cheap enough, I'll go to AUS over East... but only if...