This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX AUS 2013

Comments

• The Michigan left is the superior option, unlike hook turns or (god forbid) roundabouts.
    I hate roundabouts, they are steadily becoming more popular in my area for some reason.
  • The Michigan left is the superior option, unlike hook turns or (god forbid) roundabouts.
    I remember, back when my license was fresh off the printer, just for stupid fun with the boys, I'd occasionally just keep going around a roundabout for about a minute and a half, and then drive off as if nothing happened. I don't mind roundabouts, to be honest, unless they're poorly designed.

You just wait till you see the Magic Roundabout in Swindon, England.

Up on the island, where my father lives, they have only one set of traffic lights. Everything else is roundabouts. Between the highway and his place, there is no less than ten roundabouts. And no prick knows how to drive on them properly up there, so it's always a little hair-raising.

• Roundabouts themselves are not so bad, it is the people who cannot figure out how use them that are the problem.
  • Via the PAX Australia Facebook page - Enforcer applications open in January. Needless to say, I'll be applying the SECOND applications open.
  • Don't even try and drive in Australia.
    The Michigan left is the superior option, unlike hook turns or (god forbid) roundabouts.
    I hate roundabouts, they are steadily becoming more popular in my area for some reason.
    Seattle has a ton of bullshit mini roundabouts which I think are incredibly dangerous. They're like supposed to slow down traffic or some shit but they don't work.
  • edited October 2012
    Hook Turn vs No left turn in New Jersey? tough one there
    Hook turn is frightening. Having to take a loop onto a cross street to cross over multi-lane highways is not that far-fetched of an idea. NJ is densely populated as all fuck, and I rarely ever encounter traffic outside of areas immediately adjacent to NYC. If we had slow ass cars lingering in the left lanes and loitering about with their left blinkers on, it would be the traffic apocalypse. The system works!
    Post edited by Matt on
    I remember, back when my license was fresh off the printer, just for stupid fun with the boys, I'd occasionally just keep going around a roundabout for about a minute and a half, and then drive off as if nothing happened. I don't mind roundabouts, to be honest, unless they're poorly designed.

You just wait till you see the Magic Roundabout in Swindon, England.
    Dude my friends had to do their test on that thing. It would brake people on a daily bases. It is the only good thing in Swindon to be fair.

• Brake people? Break people?

Brake, people!

• I have seen other crash compilations of that same bridge, although I did not know the name until that video.
  • Peeled them fuckers back like a can of tuna.
  • edited October 2012
    Once you use a Double Crossover Merging Interchange, get back to me.
    Do they even exist?

Also -

Post edited by Churba on
  • Looks like whoever designed that just poured a bowl of spaghetti on a paper and used that.
  • edited October 2012
    Looks like whoever designed that just poured a bowl of spaghetti on a paper and used that.
    No joke - first time I'd driven over to grandmama's place since I got back (She's not my grandmother, but two of my mate's grandmother, don't worry about that, long story) over in Zilmere, I got lost thanks to a combination between that fuckin' thing and old maps for about half an hour. It's ridiculous. That alone gave me cause to buy a new Refdex.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Looks like whoever designed that just poured a bowl of spaghetti on a paper and used that.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghetti_Junction
  • edited October 2012
    Looks like whoever designed that just poured a bowl of spaghetti on a paper and used that.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghetti_Junction
    The subject of that picture is actually mentioned on that wiki article - "The interchange that links the Inner City Bypass with the Clem Jones Tunnel (Clem7) and Airport Link Tunnel in Brisbane, Queensland."

Also, I'll explain down here rather than in the post which has about 47 seconds left to edit - a Refdex (or Refidex) is a Street Directory. The name comes from the UBD brand, which is nigh on ubiquitous in Queensland, and the name comes from the first place you go when using it - the street reference index.

To relate it back to Melbourne, as far as I know, they call theirs "The Melways" or just "Melway" - as in "Hey Thane, can you do us a favor and look up how to get there in The Melways?" "What are you talking about just use the GPS you fucking Luddite."

Also, I keep one in the car, because I often can't be bothered to look it up on my phone, and I don't always have a GPS. Plus, it's not likely to be stolen out of the car, which is a good thing, since my car doesn't have any sort of security system other than the usual door-locks.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited October 2012
    Once you use a Double Crossover Merging Interchange, get back to me.
    Do they even exist?
    The one linked above involves bridges, but others cross the streams of traffic over to the opposite side of the road at the same level! For example:

There is a more complex version too. Both the upper and lower road have their traffic lanes cross over to the other side using bridges before they cross each other, and then cross back after. It's pretty crazy.

Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • Without the bridges I'm not sure how you get much of an advantage off of it...
  • There's only two sets of traffic lights, and when both the north lane lights are red, traffic flows smoothly and continuously. Then you switch to south, and it flows again the other way. It's super cheap as it only uses one bridge, cars never have to change lanes, and traffic merges into both left and right lanes. I think it's pretty genius.
  • Huh, that's genuinely a genius little bit of road design.
  • Now the 3-day passes are 75% sold out.
  • @Schrodinger's nine - how are you getting this information?
  • @Schrodinger's nine - how are you getting this information?
    The PAX AUS facebook page and twitter are both announcing these things.
  • Just as a reminder of the sort of place you're heading to, This is a commemorative pool in melbourne, Named for one of our ex-prime ministers.

Why is this a reminder, and not just a random pool? Here's how Harold Holt became an Ex-prime minister.

• Just as a reminder of the sort of place you're heading to, This is a commemorative pool in melbourne, Named for one of our ex-prime ministers.

Why is this a reminder, and not just a random pool? Here's how Harold Holt became an Ex-prime minister.

I hear that you have to be careful in that pool, the Chinese have a sub lurking around to keep it all authentic.

• Yeah, this is happening. Look forward to us doing our panel shit in a new hemisphere. ;^)
    90%
    90%
    100%
  • Eeyup. You can still get Fri+Sat+Sun passes for the moment, though.