This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX AUS 2013

Comments

• Panel Submissions are now Open.
  • I hope half the industry panels are people going: "What the fuck were you thinking charging so much for this?".
  • I hope half the industry panels are people going: "What the fuck were you thinking charging so much for this?".
  • 56 GBP or 91 USD is what EB has Bioshock Infinite listed for on their website.
  • edited November 2012
    Yep. You've gotta either wait for sales and hope, or buy overseas from sites like Green Man or that Russian site I got Borderlands from - even the secondhand market only brings it down to US first-sale pricing most of the time, even months after release. Sometimes, you get a company that doesn't want to fuck you, but that's not hugely common.

They're not even the only ones that do it, though. A car you can buy in the US for 40-50 grand is usually 90-100 grand here. The Nissan leaf is 32 grand in the US, and 53 grand here, despite that our supply of them is assembled locally, and a number of the vital parts in ALL Nissan Leafs (leaves?) are manufactured in Australia, and then shipped to other assembly plants.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • 36 degrees C here today - that's 97 degrees F for you people from the 1900's
  • Nah, PAX AUS is going to be in our winter, so it'll be right around a lovely summer temperature for most of 'em.
  • 56 GBP or 91 USD is what EB has Bioshock Infinite listed for on their website.
    GBP? You guys still call yourselves Great Britain?
    Yes why wouldn't we?

• edited December 2012
    56 GBP or 91 USD is what EB has Bioshock Infinite listed for on their website.
    The island is Great Britain, Britain is just the place-name for the English part, and the United Kingdom is the name of the political entity. The full and proper name for the UK is "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland."
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I had always thought Great Britain referred to the Empire, and went out of use after WWII when all the colonies became independent countries.
  • I had always thought Great Britain referred to the Empire, and went out of use after WWII when all the colonies became independent countries.
    Nah, it became the Kingdom of Great Britain in the 1700s, and then it became The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland" in the 1800s.
  • I had seen that, but I forgot that "Great" was still attached to "Britain."
  • If I make it to Australia one year... I'd like to visit Coober Pedy. Seems like the perfect place to actually visit just to pull real experiences from to put into RPGs, stories, and such.
  • If I make it to Australia one year... I'd like to visit Coober Pedy. Seems like the perfect place to actually visit just to pull real experiences from to put into RPGs, stories, and such.
    It's a pretty cool place, in the metaphorical sense. It's like a post-apocalypse Hobbiton.

• I discovered it may be possible to save $200 each way on flights to Australia by having a layover in Shanghai instead of LA. Exciting possibility spending a few hours there.
  • Spending a few hours in an airport isn't fun.
  • Spending a few hours in an airport isn't fun.
    On the way there it would be a few hours in an airport. On the way back, it's many more hours.

• I've had layovers in exciting places. Unless they're 12 hour layovers, they're never themselves exciting.

Mumbai Airport is the same as Munich Airport is the same as Narita Airport.
  • edited January 2013
    Advice for seeing anything outside of the airport during a layover:

1. Check everything you possibly can. Then make sure this is routed to the final destination, as you don't want to have to carry it with you on your city visit. Only carry with you things you don't want to let out of your sight/pocket.

2. Try to work out travel options in advance. Otherwise you might spend a crucial hour hour trying to work out train or bus schedules and then waiting for one.

3. If you are staying overnight and need a hotel, book an airport hotel. They cost more, but often have a free shuttle bus into the city. Also going to a city, finding a hotel and dropping your bags is a pain, and takes up time. Then you always have to go back to the hotel to pick your bags up and drag them back to the hotel. It's best to stay late in the city, then take a late night taxi back to the airport, and have an extra sleep in in the morning.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • I had an exciting layover in Chicago. It was exciting because the departure of my next flight was 30 minutes after the landing of my first, and the gates were in different terminals.
  • The coolest thing about O'Hare were the automatic toilet seat covers.
  • Every time I see this thread I keep thinking it is about Australia rising up and ruling the world.
  • Every time I see this thread I keep thinking it is about Australia rising up and ruling the world.
    Don't worry, I'll make sure you're on the nice list rather than the naughty list.
  • I just paid real money for plane tickets. Also booked a hotel for the duration of PAX AUS. Still planning what to do for the remainder of the time there. Lots of options.

Rym has had much talk of bailing, so bah unto him!
  • Bah, Rym! Bah!
  • GeoGeo
    edited March 2013
    Was this a premeditated act or did it happen all of a sudden?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Rym can pay for me to go. This solves everyone's problems.
  • edited March 2013
    I just paid real money for plane tickets. Also booked a hotel for the duration of PAX AUS. Still planning what to do for the remainder of the time there. Lots of options.
    If you have any questions or want any advice or recommendations, just ask.
    I've some confidence that he won't pike out. Not full confidence, but some.

Oh, did I ever mention to you that PAX also co-incides with the first blush of Thredbo's Ski season, and we're looking to have a GREAT year this year? Not many people around at that time, either, most wait for the September school holidays, so the gorgeous long runs are relatively open and unpopulated, six kilometers of practically pristine powder. No use telling you this, though, neither of us are big skiers, I don't think, so forget it, doesn't matter. I'm just rambling.
    Post edited by Churba on