This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - FTL

Comments

• I really want to do Sleep No More, but I'm not close enough to NYC. Has anyone here done it? Seems really cool.
  • I really want to do Sleep No More, but I'm not close enough to NYC. Has anyone here done it? Seems really cool.
    I know one person who has done it over 35 times. I haven't even done it one time. I'm really not that interested.
  • Emily did it and said it was actually really awesome.
  • edited October 2012
    I really want to do Sleep No More, but I'm not close enough to NYC. Has anyone here done it? Seems really cool.
    I know one person who has done it over 35 times. I haven't even done it one time. I'm really not that interested.
    It's really not your kinda thing, I'd think, you'd be bored and irritable within five minutes.

Post edited by Churba on
  • I know one person who has done it over 35 times.
    There's enough to see in there that it's worth it? That gets pretty expensive at $75 a pop.
  • I know one person who has done it over 35 times.
    There's enough to see in there that it's worth it? That gets pretty expensive at $75 a pop.
    With the nature of the performance, it's different enough that you could circulate around, and by the time you've been there four or five times, it's completely different than before, because of the slowly changing nature of the performance, and the level of audience participation, which is where it really gets interesting.

Fortune favors the bold, after all.

I've heard stories of people trolling other participants, messing with the actors, all sorts of crazy shit.
  • edited October 2012
    Attention Rym: I made your stupid oo-BOON-too bot. His name is Robobuntu.
    Post edited by pence on
  • Niice!
  • Reading the book now, I thought Rym was implying something more clever with the homework than what he was actually implying and I over-thought it.
  • Reading the book now, I thought Rym was implying something more clever with the homework than what he was actually implying and I over-thought it.
    Depends on what you think the answer is. ;^)

• edited October 2012
    Considering I just read the chapter, and none of the notes sounded particularly clever...

But my assumption based on your previous descriptions is going to be the balloon popping example.

Having never seen you play, it's just a guessing game for me. There's no way for me to do more than guess which thing you specifically do correctly. :P

Personally I'm a feign indiscriminate violence and vengeance person, possibly playing the long game. Or at least that's how my Risk Legacy and Eclipse groups have started to view me.

Risk Legacy is actually an interesting game for so many reasons with this. Just having that campaigning element, and playing for the long win based on a series of previous events is a fairly interesting component I don't see as often.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • Fuck me.

Forced to use two repairs before fighting the boss simply by the luck of the map.

In addition my Engi ship was so badass the whole game against all the enemies. I maxed out energy. Max shields, max evade. I even maxed out doors and sensors. I had two offense drones that ripped everything to shreds. I had lasers and ion guns to disable shields and do more damage. I had a huge experienced crew. I had the engi device that heals everyone on the ship all the time. I had the drone recovery arm, so didn't need to spend anything on drone parts. So awesome.

And couldn't even beat the first stage of the boss.
  • edited October 2012
    I've never really needed the repairs in between stages of the boss... if that matters?

Also minor point, med bays, pilot, and o2 being upgraded make them less likely to be taken out by a single hit. A completely destroyed pilot spot means evade = 0%. I usually fully upgrade pilot at some point, specifically because the guy running the pilot station can't pilot if he's repairing it.

You don't need to power any of those, just make them higher level for the added protection.
  • I've never really needed the repairs in between stages of the boss... if that matters?
    WTF kind of ship do you have?!
  • All of them but slug, but I've killed him with the Red Tail on easy initially. And with a few others since then. Only with the crystal ship on normal so-far.
  • All of them but slug, but I've killed him with the Red Tail on easy initially. And with a few others since then. Only with the crystal ship on normal so-far.
    What customizations do you put on the ship? I need all the details.
  • edited October 2012
    First clear was not very repeatable. I got the Crystal and Rock ships on the same run. Getting the Crystal ship is a whole extra sector to farm.

I always seem to go boarding party of 2 mantis if possible on a level 3 teleporter, level 3 or level 4 shields, 4-6 points in engines, max subsystems (though level 2 is probably sufficient), level 2 med/o2, level 3 cloak though I use it at different levels for each phase (3/2/1), defense drone 1 to counter some of the missiles hopefully. Maybe another drone but it depends on what I need it to do.

Then either 6+ laser hits or some bombs/missiles to get through shields and do damage.

Systems are less important. I've run a lot of different combinations there. Usually a scrap arm is the best thing to have up until the boss fight.

I always kill the damn missile launcher ASAP, then maybe Ion and beam. Then kill the crew slowly but surely.

• Forced to use two repairs before fighting the boss simply by the luck of the map.
    I'm pretty sure if you go back to a repair sector (provided it hasn't been lost) it will still heal you. It's just not marked on the map.

Are you playing on easy or normal? If you're playing on easy it kinda confounds me that you can have a full power ship and not at least get through the first stage (after your first couple runs). I can pretty consistently kill the boss if I get that far on easy. Short really bad luck of course.

For the first stage I find taking out all of it's weapons first makes it a matter of chip away at the boss. Mostly the same for the second stage also except you want to also keep the bot control broken.

Some tips:
    Shoot your lasers in a volley if at all possible. Always do this if you have a beam weapon.
    The anti-bio beam is useless after the first stage of the boss, and probably before then too.
    Ion weapons short the ion bomb are pretty shit late game. The best Ion cannon can take out 2 layers of shield, the worst burst laser can do the same. They can still be useful but don't rely on them.
    Teleporting Bombs are the shit. Pretty sure they miss less than missiles and cant be shot down.
    Try to leave 1 dude alive till the end. When the AI takes over systems will auto repair.
    Teleporter/Drone/Cloak aren't necessary but not using them requires higher firepower.

I always get lvl 4 sheilds, and max evade. Upgrade everything else as needed.

Also For some bragging: I got the set every square of the ship on fire achievement on the second stage of the boss. This was with the Mantis Type B which I think was my best/most interesting run thus far.
  • FUCK MANTIS MEN I'D DESTROY THEIR ENTIRE GOD DAMNED CIVILIZATION JUST GIVE ME ENOUGH BOMBS GRRAAARGRHRGR!
  • edited October 2012
    Take into account they have a half repair speed. Holding off while crippling their ship to force them to teleport back is a good idea.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I am 100% convinced you people who claim to have beaten the game are lying, cheating, or freakishly lucky. Every single time I play and start to do well, some completely random bullshit happens. One star system everything is awesome. Next one, everyone dies.

Just now I was playing. Everything was terrific except a fire started. No big deal. I killed the enemy. Everyone was fine. Then went to put out the fire. Put it out. Started repairing. Oxygen was going down and stayed at 0. But the oxygen room was in perfect condition and had energy. There were no holes in the ship. Some of the repairing guys started to die, sent them to the med room. Oxygen stayed at 0 and refused to go up! Tried messing with doors, did not help. Everyone died.

If I ever meet the people who made FTL, I'm going to stab them.

The primary source of bullshit in this game is that there are many upgrades and enhancements you can get to deal with different situations. However, the game is limited in such a way that you can not possible get everything at once. Therefore, no matter how well you play, you stand the risk of encountering the obstacle that you do not have the equipment to deal with and you lose because bullshit.

The other fundamental problem is that you play this very long and grueling game to get to the end. The decisions you have to make to get to the end stick with you at the end. But a ship that is customized to get to the boss is a ship that will be incredibly bad at actually fighting the boss. There is no way to reconfigure at the last second. I would put an ultimate shop right before the final boss that can buy/sell every possible item.

That's something else that gets me. If I do a no-missile ship, why the fuck can't I sell my missiles? If I have no drones, why can't I sell drone parts?

If anyone knows a hack to give myself a huge pile, or infinite, scrap at the beginning of the game, I will glady use it.

And I'm only playing on "easy".
  • edited October 2012
    Here's some tips Scott.

1 - Never bother buying anything your ship doesn't start with. Every bit of scrap you ever use goes into maximizing your primary means of causing damage, your shields, and your engines in that order. If you reach the end and you do not have full weapons/drones, shield and engine you have screwed up.
    2 - Level 2 doors and scanners are required. Level 3 doors are useful, but if you can't mentally work out their power use using the information from lvl2 scanners, don't even bother playing.
    3 - If you have the spare scrap, upgrade your oxygen and medical, but leave them unpowered until you need them.
    4 - When traveling through Mantis or Rebel territory, pull everyone into vital areas and leave the rest of the ship vented. If you are boarded but not currently fighting, retreat to the medical bay ASAP; abandoning systems if you have to; just let them choke.
    5 - Any time an option comes up to fight anyone, fight them. Every bit of scrap counts.
    6 - In fights, prioritize targets as follows. Put each one into the red and move on to the next. If they repair it, retarget.
    - Drone Control if the enemy has boarding drones.
    - Weapons
    - Piloting Position
    - Crew/Medical/Oxygen
    7 - Fly patterns around stores collecting scrap. Try to save upgrading your ship after you arrive at a store with lots of scrap, so you can sell what you don't want, buy what you need, then upgrade your ship with what's left over.
    8 - When choosing where to go next, always try to move to the star that will connect you to the maximum number of other stars. This will vastly increase the number of stores and events you find, thereby increasing your chances of finding rare drops.
    8 - If you are using guns primarily and you see a Weapon Preigniter, buy it no matter what. It's a complete game-changer.
    9 - If you are using drones primarily, the drone recovery arm is vital.
    10 - You never go wrong with autoloaders or scrap recovery arms.
    11 - Hull repair drones are your best friend.
    12 - Boarding Drones are the most powerful weapon in the game.
    13 - Don't bother with missiles or teleporter bombs. Use them only until you get to a store and can offload them. Burst lasers are a much better bet.
    14 - Hull damage weapons are alright, but as your priority is to disable their systems so regular weapons take priority over hull weapons.
    15 - The only beam worth using the is the Fire Beam. For best results, keep setting fires in their oxygen room and then target it once with your laser. This will force the enemy to move in to repair the oxygen room, exposing them to the fire.
    16 - If you absolutely have to use missiles/bombs, hull bombs are great because of high breach chance and shield avoidance. Again, the oxygen room is where to aim this.
    17 - Always try to maximize your crew numbers, but avoid hiring anyone. Hit Pirate sectors if you can, because slavers are basically the way to get new crew.

A perfect ship has 3-4 rapid firing standard weapons that optimally pre-ignite. This will let you alpha strike their weapon/drones/teleporter in the first second of the fight, so you can then pick them apart at your leisure. This configuration will beat everyone in the game and the boss.

To kill the flagship...

1 - Target the missile, then the laser cluster. Wreck them and kill the operators with everything you have. Boarding works wonders here.
    2 - The moment round two starts, target the drone control and keep hammering it with everything. Not only will you disrupt the drones early, they'll pile guys in the room to try and repair it and you'll murder them en mass.

The flagship is not actually that scary. It can frontload a lot of damage but you can prevent it if you are smart, and though it has a stupid amount of hull health, the crew is a serious weak point.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • I am 100% convinced you people who claim to have beaten the game are lying, cheating, or freakishly lucky. Every single time I play and start to do well, some completely random bullshit happens. One star system everything is awesome. Next one, everyone dies.

Just now I was playing. Everything was terrific except a fire started. No big deal. I killed the enemy. Everyone was fine. Then went to put out the fire. Put it out. Started repairing. Oxygen was going down and stayed at 0. But the oxygen room was in perfect condition and had energy. There were no holes in the ship. Some of the repairing guys started to die, sent them to the med room. Oxygen stayed at 0 and refused to go up! Tried messing with doors, did not help. Everyone died.
    Did you re-power the system? Occasionally after repairing (especially if you've shifted usage) power wont be automatically re-assigned. That's the only reason I can think of besides a rare game bug that would happen.
    The primary source of bullshit in this game is that there are many upgrades and enhancements you can get to deal with different situations. However, the game is limited in such a way that you can not possible get everything at once. Therefore, no matter how well you play, you stand the risk of encountering the obstacle that you do not have the equipment to deal with and you lose because bullshit.
    It is rare in FTL that I come across a situation I completely cannot handle. I've had trouble with some of the more specialized ships in not getting the right back up weapons/tools to be able to beat some enemies. That said running is always an option, with the mantis B boarding ship I avoid automated drones until later. It doesn't hurt me all that much. Teleporter/Drone/Stealth are not required to beat any fight. The only other issues I've had are fights that are phyric because i will take too much damage to win, and fights where I cannot win because I cannot get through shields. Again though unless bad luck has put me in a unwinnable state early, these fights are avoidable at minimal penalty.
    The other fundamental problem is that you play this very long and grueling game to get to the end. The decisions you have to make to get to the end stick with you at the end. But a ship that is customized to get to the boss is a ship that will be incredibly bad at actually fighting the boss. There is no way to reconfigure at the last second. I would put an ultimate shop right before the final boss that can buy/sell every possible item.
    With the boss, any well setup ship can likely beat the boss (as faras I can tell). You might lose to some dice rolls (all 3 of a weapon barrage hitting), but if your ship is so bad it's impossible to win, you probably barely got to the boss in the first place. A super shop at the end would be stupid and devalue the idea of building a ship on the way.
    That's something else that gets me. If I do a no-missile ship, why the fuck can't I sell my missiles? If I have no drones, why can't I sell drone parts?
    You can. They are random events. I tend to get one or 2 of those a game.
    If anyone knows a hack to give myself a huge pile, or infinite, scrap at the beginning of the game, I will glady use it.

And I'm only playing on "easy".
    Starting the game with infinite money would be boring and devalue any advancement made later.

From what I'm gathering is you are either inexplicably bad at this, have had the worst luck, or are trying to fight core mechanics of the game rather than play along.
  • Compared to normal, easy IS easy.

• 13 - Don't bother with missiles or teleporter bombs. Use them only until you get to a store and can offload them. Burst lasers are a much better bet.
    15 - The only beam worth using the is the Fire Beam. For best results, keep setting fires in their oxygen room and then target it once with your laser. This will force the enemy to move in to repair the oxygen room, exposing them to the fire.
    16 - If you absolutely have to use missiles/bombs, hull bombs are great because of high breach chance and shield avoidance. Again, the oxygen room is where to aim this.
    I kinda disagree with these. I agree burst lasers are basically the best weapons in the game. I would say having a missile/bomb system is useful, especially with a beam setup. I personally like using teleporting bombs. A single (lucky) fire bomb can take out a weapon system on the boss. As for beams, well they do devalue fast unfortunately, but the higher beams with some other fire power can wreck a ship pretty fast.

• With your build on the previous page, your problem specifically was you couldn't do a lot of highly targetted damage fast enough. Attack drones keep shields down, but otherwise are indescriminate. Your weapons systems were weak, and I don't see a teleporter which is the other directed damage option.

As I said on the previous page, level 2 pilot/o2/medbay are all slightly more valuable than you may be thinking. They give those systems more survivability which gives you time to get to them and less weakness.

Also cloak is nice to have by then. I havn't beaten the boss without a cloak yet, and generally level 3.

• 13 - Don't bother with missiles or teleporter bombs. Use them only until you get to a store and can offload them. Burst lasers are a much better bet.
    I kinda disagree with these. I agree burst lasers are basically the best weapons in the game. I would say having a missile/bomb system is useful, especially with a beam setup. I personally like using teleporting bombs. A single (lucky) fire bomb can take out a weapon system on the boss. As for beams, well they do devalue fast unfortunately, but the higher beams with some other fire power can wreck a ship pretty fast.
    The problem that any beam worth using in the late game uses up precious power that could (and really ought) be fueling more burst lasers.

• Beams do the most damage of the weapons... to unshielded targets.

If you can run something like pegasus missiles to drop their shields, then beam... that's nice.

I also will say those bombs are nice on the boss. I found the breach II bomb made it impossible for them to repair their shields pretty much immediately.
  • FUCK MANTIS MEN I'D DESTROY THEIR ENTIRE GOD DAMNED CIVILIZATION JUST GIVE ME ENOUGH BOMBS GRRAAARGRHRGR!
    THIS!!!!

• edited October 2012
    Before you enter Mantis space, armour your doors fully and vent every non-essential part of your ship. You'll thank me.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on