This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - FTL

Comments

• A recent run saw me acquire two rockmen very early on. Then, three events in a row, I lost all three. Two or three jumps later, I lost a fourth, leaving me with two shitbags to man the whole ship.

Restart!
  • Fuck this game. I've played through 9 times now, and still not got past the second round with the boss. I'll play it again in a year.
  • Fuck this game. I've played through 9 times now, and still not got past the second round with the boss. I'll play it again in a year.
    Yeah! You tell 'em.
  • Beat the game for the first time, got two Burst laser IIs with a Ion Cannon. Neutralized shields and went drones for missile D. Wrecked the boss big time.
  • I decided to give it a few more goes last night and this afternoon. I called my first ship The Awesome and every ship since then gets an updated number.

Awesome 12 beat the final boss! Fuck yeah! Twelve attempts is a good number to try out different strategies, and finally succeed. If it had taken 14 attempts I honestly wouldn't have made it.

This time I got a fire laser, and set shit on fire. I didn't realize how effective this was, especially against a ship that sends over boarders. You set their ship on fire, wait, and they tele-port back to put it out. Awesome. I also got a hull repair drone so I could spend droid parts to patch my ship up between the boss stages. It worked really great. I met the boss, then chased after it (so I didn't have to face any of the minor ships between) and beat it handily.

Now I want to play again with the unlocked Rock ship. Hmmm.
  • I still have no slug ship.
  • Well, at least my insomnia has yielded a victory on Normal using the Rock ship.
  • I seem to have no luck unlocking ships. The only ship I've unlocked that required chance was the Stealth Cruiser; I've also got the engi and the artillery, but those are completion ships.

The kicker? I've been playing since the first beta; I've got literally hundreds of hours in this game, and at one point, due to a bug, I even accidentally got locked out of the Kestrel. I have zero, that is, ZERO, luck unlocking ships :(

Still fun, though.
  • I got the Engi ship without completing the game. I used that ship to win it the first time.
  • I <3 Engi ship!
  • I won again with a ship called Not Enough 1. The 1 means it was the first time I played that ship. I also had a lot of fun with the fire beam again.

I was intrigued by the "Get to the last stage without buying from a shop (repairs are okay)" achievement. I ran out of fuel. I think I'm going to try for it again though.
  • I managed the no shopping run, but not the no repairs run. Also ran into the slug quest, finally, but could not complete it. Sadface.
  • Still haven't picked up this game yet. Does it have any story beyond just fighting other ships? Anything like Starflight?
  • Linux version can only be run through a shell script, and it does not work with window managers. I can't move it to a different screen or resize it. It's not packaged for any formats, not even a deb. It doesn't have an icon for volume mixers. Fullscreen doesn't take your screen resolution. Kinda feel like I've been scammed.
  • edited October 2012
    Still haven't picked up this game yet. Does it have any story beyond just fighting other ships? Anything like Starflight?
    The plot is: you are dudes on a ship in space. Your ship is a piece of shit and is undermanned. The rebel fleets are fucking shit up (think Spanish Civil War: there's an incompetent existing Government, asshole rebels who will work together to fight the big rebels, and asshole rebels who can actually win) and you have to outrun their fleets. You fight asshole rebels and help (or raid, if you so choose) federal ships to beef up your ship until you can finally fuck up the big asshole rebels ships. Or so I think. I haven't gotten past the first fight of the last level yet. I kinda suck at this kinda game.

EDIT: 3d fight, but that ship has crashed now, so I'm not going to get any further.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • I keep finding the stasis pod but am never able to follow through and open it up.
  • If all you care about is unlocking the ships, the SA forums made a profile save that has all the ships and layouts unlocked, I could dig it up for you.
  • Linux version can only be run through a shell script, and it does not work with window managers. I can't move it to a different screen or resize it. It's not packaged for any formats, not even a deb. It doesn't have an icon for volume mixers. Fullscreen doesn't take your screen resolution. Kinda feel like I've been scammed.
    You can't resize the Windows version either.
  • If all you care about is unlocking the ships, the SA forums made a profile save that has all the ships and layouts unlocked, I could dig it up for you.
  • edited October 2012
    As with all games nowadays, FTL also has a dedicated Wikia with stats on all the weapons and instructions on getting all the ships. Just in case you hate the mystery of it.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • I keep finding the stasis pod but am never able to follow through and open it up.
    I found the stasis pod in my last run, and actually managed to open it... but then there's a THIRD part of that quest, which necessitates getting to the Rock sector. I was in Sector 7 at the time. Sigh. At least I managed to get to stage 2 of the boss again...
    I'll take that as a yes, Mr. I Just Discovered The Concept of Reaction GIFs.

http://www2.zshare.ma/ifpsc53bwpl4 <--- Save this as %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Games\FasterThanLight\prof.sav
  • I got the No Shopping achievement, the Pacifist achievement and the No Repairs at Stores achievement all on the first go each. If I'd not sold my weapons, I would probably have gone on to win the Pacifist one, fighting only after I reached stage 5. I got to the 3rd boss stage with the No Shopping ship, but due to unlucky store and replacement locations in the final stage, I ran out of shield.

Hull Repair Drone is still handy, and doesn't take any power until you need to use it (after the boss ship moves on). Fire Beam is soooo much fun.

Also, in the boss stage, if you get to a store, wait there if the boss ship is coming your way. Once you defeat it once, and it moves on, you can use the store to repair up, jump ahead, fight the boss again, and jump back for more repairs before the store is destroyed.
    As with all games nowadays, FTL also has a dedicated Wikia with stats on all the weapons and instructions on getting all the ships. Just in case you hate the mystery of it.
    The mystery of the game is what makes it worth playing.
  • http://www2.zshare.ma/ifpsc53bwpl4 <--- Save this as %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Games\FasterThanLight\prof.sav</p>
    You mean "~/.local/share/FasterThanLight", because he's on Linux?
  • Mr. I Just Discovered The Concept of Reaction GIFs.
    Nah, I just go through fads of particular kinds of posts. ;^)

• Mr. I Just Discovered The Concept of Reaction GIFs.
    Nah, I just go through fads of particular kinds of posts. ;^)

I'm just annoyed that you do it with a confidence I can never manage. :3
  • But that's just how Rym does everything, right?
    I live like a Windrammer as I fuck.
    Pretty much. The guy screws up with more confidence than most people have when they do something amazing.
    Pretty much. The guy screws up with more confidence than most people have when they do something amazing.
    The only other person I've seen have as much confidence is Nineless. And muppet also gets close sometimes. I've also seen people like that in other places, but never have I seen someone who isn't a troll.

Not to say that Rym can't occasionally sit under a bridge, but somehow he has confidence without being a complete asshole.