This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New SimCity

edited October 2012 in Video Games
Video was released today and it's got me all excited.

Comments

• They lost me with Sim City 3 and 4 didn't do anything to soothe my chapped ass.
  • I am holding out hope with this one. It's obviously not a shovelware Sim City 5. I remain skeptical only because EA is in charge, but everything we've been shown so far points to awesome game.
  • I'd like to give Sim City a try again now that I'm an adult with an understanding of public policy and governments.
  • I'd like to give Sim City a try again now that I'm an adult with an understanding of public policy and governments.
    So, you'll burn everything down just like you did as a kid, but it'll be a more cathartic experience this time around.

• Chaos will occur spontaneously in every area of the city at once?

Should be called The SimCity.
  • I want this. The shadows, ambient occlusion, simplification of utilities, new sociological assumptions, variety and evolution of buildings -- it all looks good. Plus, in the 10 or so years since I've played Sim City I've learned an awful lot about urban planning.
  • I'm really liking this version; Whereas the previous versions were based on fairly simple pass/fail networks of supply >= demand, this seems to be based on concentrations and equilibriums - A worthy successor, being not too much more advanced, but more fun in the long run as you try to keep the equilibriums on track.
  • I have a friend who is studying urban planning who has put something like 400 hours into Cities XL. He'll be all about this.

Me, I don't see the point in building structures unless tanks are going to roll of out them. Then again, I feel that way in real life sometimes.
  • I thought the utilities were already too oversimplified in 3. I liked the specific placement of all elements in 2k.
  • I was worried that this would be dumbed down, à la Sim City Societies, but from their reddit AMA and news I've gotten this seems like it'll kick ass. It has been too long since I played Sim City.