This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Read about this, sadly. A dark secret from a female PAX enforcer

18910111214»

Comments

• Do you think that rape would still be a problem in Star Trek? It doesn't seem like the women in Star Trek feared being raped.

really?

Anyway, assuming you're not just taking the piss here, Tasha Yar's entire backstory was rape and awfulness. Deanna Troi was mind-raped by I think at least 3 different aliens at 3 different times? Possibly once physically? Didn't she also conceive an alien baby after a "Holy Spirit"-like incident?

Star Trek had rape all over the place.
    Hey, I'm trying to keep us on topic here. Also I want to see how deep I can get this rabbit hole.
    Picard was raped pretty thoroughly by the Borg, too, I'd say. You can't get much more rapey than parts of your body and personality being physically removed/replaced.
  • edited October 2012
    Tasha Yar's entire backstory was rape and awfulness.
    Correct, but it was on a shithole of a colony that had long severed all ties to the federation, and had descended into chaos long before. Oh, and she successfully avoided the rape gangs, if I remember correctly.
    Deanna Troi was mind-raped by I think at least 3 different aliens at 3 different times? Possibly once physically? Didn't she also conceive an alien baby after a "Holy Spirit"-like incident?
    Three Mind-rapes, no actual rapes, for Troi. And I'm not quite sure Mind-rape is in the spirit of the thread, since it's kind of a different thing - one's a sexual assault, one is a psychological(or, in these cases, psychic) assault, which despite the similar names, are not really the same thing, except in the sense of one possibly being used to facilitate the other.

But, despite that clarification, your point is solid - there was indeed some rape implied and attempted rape in Star Trek. Details here, since I'm better at explaining locks than Star Trek.

Post edited by Churba on
  • edited October 2012
    Correct, but it was on a shithole of a colony that had long severed all ties to the federation, and had descended into chaos long before. Oh, and she successfully avoided the rape gangs, if I remember correctly.
    Yes but not to be a shit or anything, he didn't specify "within the borders/jurisdiction of the Federation." It may be best to stick to that for practicality of discussion, but the Star Trek universe extends well beyond that.

I think that telepathic mind rape goes beyond just psychological, but since it's a fictional construct it's bound to be a matter of opinion.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • So who would we get to be the voice of the Beard then?
  • Yes but not to be a shit or anything, he didn't specify "within the borders/jurisdiction of the Federation." It may be best to stick to that for practicality of discussion, but the Star Trek universe extends well beyond that.

I think that telepathic mind rape goes beyond just psychological, but since it's a fictional construct it's bound to be a matter of opinion.
    I know. Just providing context.

Fair point on the latter, though - however, I still think it's distinct from what we'd consider rape in the present day(and as they would in the future, one would presume.)

• Enterprise did an episode with forced mind melding as analogy for rape. Later on they expanded it to include analogs for homosexuality and aids.

Enterprise wasn't the best Star Trek series by any means, but it did have some pretty good episodes.
    Sean Connery

Andy Dick.
    Sean Connery

That would be Picards hair. I was thinking more Brosman or someone in that vain.

• "I'll take 'The Rapists' for $500, Alex."

Around again!
  • "I'll take anal bum cover for $200"
  • "I'll take 'The Rapists' for $500, Alex."
    Around again!
  • "I'll take anal bum cover for $200"
    Did you mean to put that in the acapella thread?

• Does that mean if this thread reaches 18 pages, we'll return to Star Trek?
  • never rape a procupine
  • I'll just say that the topic of this has been addressed by PAX Staff and policy has been implemented for possible future incidents. Enforcers have been notified of this policy.
  • I'll just say that the topic of this has been addressed by PAX Staff and policy has been implemented for possible future incidents. Enforcers have been notified of this policy.
    From what I can tell the response by PAX and the Enforcers has been prompt, focused and well thought out. Serious props to them for their handling here.
  • Contrasted with the ridiculous bullshit I witnessed as Otakon staff at the Otakon staff meeting... ;^)
  • Contrasted with the ridiculous bullshit I witnessed as Otakon staff at the Otakon staff meeting... ;^)
    How do you run a con? Take Otakon and do the exact opposite of everything they've ever done.
    How do you run a con? Take Otakon and do the exact opposite of everything they've ever done.
    Heh... Not 100% though: that leads to NYCC, which is just as bad for the exact opposite reasons.

Just have to do what PAX did. Fan passion plus actual professionalism.

• But they're both run by the same company, Reedpop.
    I think Khoo might be the ultimate factor in that separation
    Hardly. PAX is run by the Penny Arcade corporation. Reed just does logistics and back-end stuff: they don't make the real decisions.

If you want to see what Reedpop does on its own, look at NYCC. It's like night and day compared to PAX.
  • Rym said:

But they're both run by the same company, Reedpop.
    Hardly. PAX is run by the Penny Arcade corporation. Reed just does logistics and back-end stuff: they don't make the real decisions.

If you want to see what Reedpop does on its own, look at NYCC. It's like night and day compared to PAX.Funny how, since 2012, we've stopped bothering to even take free badges to NYCC despite it being a few subway stops away. It's not a con that's even worth attending anymore.
  • Nothing like reviving a 2-year-old thread to crap on NYCC. But I'm happy to chime in and say I'm in the same boat. Getting into NYC is no big deal for me, and I haven't bothered with NYCC in a while, and don't plan to go back.

The only nice thing about NYCC was that when I was still working with MTV, and MTV Geek still existed, they threw tons of money at that show, and we had our own private lounge. Made it incredibly easy to work as a writer, being able to run back and forth from the show floor, have a place to bring people for interview, etc. That ship has sailed though.

I thought about the other day how at least preview night was more tolerable, but it's still not worth it.