This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Read about this, sadly. A dark secret from a female PAX enforcer

Comments

• There are lot of things more deadly than a sword that you can buy legally. Consider for a moment, the hardware store. Especially consider the power tools section, but do not turn your nose down at the manual tools section either.
  • There are lot of things more deadly than a sword that you can buy legally. Consider for a moment, the hardware store. Especially consider the power tools section, but do not turn your nose down at the manual tools section either.
    Indeed. Hell, I have a set of petank balls in the car right now. They're heavy as fuck and could do some damage. I don't keep them in there for self defense though. I keep them in there because you never know when you might want to play some boules.

Also, if I were in my car and felt my fight or flight reflex kicking in, I would probably go with flight seeing as I am in a vehicle designed for going faster than a human being.
  • edited October 2012
    There are lot of things more deadly than a sword that you can buy legally. Consider for a moment, the hardware store. Especially consider the power tools section, but do not turn your nose down at the manual tools section either.
    True that. A power nail-gun will hurt or kill you just fine, so will one of my exercise routine favorites, a Big Fucking Sledgehammer. A bit of rebar, a hunk of spade handle, there's a ton of stuff that's equally deadly to you as a sword, easier to use, and far, far easier to get than a good sword.
    Hell, I have a set of petank balls in the car right now. They're heavy as fuck and could do some damage. I don't keep them in there for self defense though. I keep them in there because you never know when you might want to play some boules.
    They're very common down here, it's a popular game to play at picnics and the like.
    Post edited by Churba on
    True that. A power nail-gun will hurt or kill you just fine, so will one of my exercise routine favorites, a Big Fucking Sledgehammer. A bit of rebar, a hunk of spade handle, there's a ton of stuff that's equally deadly to you as a sword, easier to use, and far, far easier to get than a good sword.
    True, and in Australia all you really have to do is get someone out of doors for more than a few minutes and they are guaranteed to be attacked by giant spiders and kangaroos with boxing gloves.
    .27 Cal, Fully Automatic.
  • edited October 2012
    True, and in Australia all you really have to do is get someone out of doors for more than a few minutes and they are guaranteed to be attacked by giant spiders and kangaroos with boxing gloves.
    Nah man, they only wear boxing gloves for sport. Other than that, they're propably trying to fool you - they kick with their legs, not punch with their little grabby arms.

As for the spiders, eh, you get used to them. Look at this dude, just ignoring the little guy.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Eeeyy Mang
  • Hell, I have a set of petank balls in the car right now. They're heavy as fuck and could do some damage. I don't keep them in there for self defense though. I keep them in there because you never know when you might want to play some boules.
    They're very common down here, it's a popular game to play at picnics and the like. We used to play it all the time at the boarding house. Was a bit of a pro if I do say so myself.

.27 Cal, Fully Automatic.
    Eeeyy Mang
    "He meant a Lexus, but he don't know it."

• Hell, I have a set of petank balls in the car right now. They're heavy as fuck and could do some damage. I don't keep them in there for self defense though. I keep them in there because you never know when you might want to play some boules.
    They're very common down here, it's a popular game to play at picnics and the like.
    We used to play it all the time at the boarding house. Was a bit of a pro if I do say so myself.

I love boules, but am fairly terrible at it.
  • Don't most modern nail guns have a safety so it can't really shoot a nail unless its up against wood or something?
  • Don't most modern nail guns have a safety so it can't really shoot a nail unless its up against wood or something?
    Muzzle lock, yeah. But you can override them mechanically.
    Yes they do. My father's original set did not have that.

Also, I don't know about the most recent iterations of those safeties, but I do know that ones from 10 years ago were pretty easily circumvented accidentally since relaxing the safety didn't necessarily mean fully obscuring the aperture through which nails fly out.
    You press the safety in with one hand and pull the trigger with the other. Shop teacher in high school demonstrated this technique.
    Which can be circumvented by the highly complex method known as "A bit of duct tape."

Even concrete nailers can be modified that way, despite their harder safeties - you've just gotta use zip ties rather than duct tape. Or push it back and tack it in place.

• I want a direwolf! I'd never have to be paranoid again. :-P
    But winter is coming!
    Which can be circumvented by the highly complex method known as "A bit of duct tape."

Even concrete nailers can be modified that way, despite their harder safeties - you've just gotta use zip ties rather than duct tape. Or push it back and tack it in place.

Didn't Mythbusters do an episode on this? Now a real home defence weapon is a tractor or Uni-Mog with a stake driver on the side.

• True, and in Australia all you really have to do is get someone out of doors for more than a few minutes and they are guaranteed to be attacked by giant spiders and kangaroos with boxing gloves.
    Nah man, they only wear boxing gloves for sport. Other than that, they're propably trying to fool you - they kick with their legs, not punch with their little grabby arms.

As for the spiders, eh, you get used to them. Look at this dude, just ignoring the little guy.

Why is Dario Franchitti driving by a giant spider?
  • edited October 2012
    Don't most modern nail guns have a safety so it can't really shoot a nail unless its up against wood or something?

Didn't Mythbusters do an episode on this? Now a real home defence weapon is a tractor or Uni-Mog with a stake driver on the side.
    Yeah, but they didn't do it so well - they were just using a little low-power air-powered nailer, and using it in the worst way possible.

Let's face it, it's a nailgun, not a semi-automatic pistol, you're going to want to be real close - but when you get close, if you think, say, my big air-nailer won't put a 18 or 20 framing nail right into someone's skull, then you're most certainly incorrect.
    Why is Dario Franchitti driving by a giant spider?
    I don't know. F1 drivers are weird little munchkin people.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Except he's an Indycar driver ;)
  • Except he's an Indycar driver ;)
    Point still stands. And probably stands taller than the midgety little bastards while it does.
  • I think I understand why Mark Webber and possibly Will Power are both relatively tall drivers though...giant spiders. ;)
  • Webber is sort to other Australians remember that. Will Powers is a group of ferrets working in unison.
  • *reads thread*
    For fucks sake; I leave you folks alone for a few hours and we get to misandry, shotguns, and lions.
    Sometimes I feel like this forum is getting progressively stranger.
    Yes. These are true statements.

• What was this thread about again?
  • edited October 2012
    Cars, ferrets, and keep it that way.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • edited October 2012
    So, there were arguments going back and forth here about whether women should be overly cautious on the streets around men or not. Then a bunch of guys proceed to talk about guns and swords, and using tools as weapons, and videos of Snoop, one of the most violent and heartless characters ever. Hmm.
    Post edited by VichusSmith on
  • Was curious, so I looked it up. It's hard to find a statistic for "number of convicted rapists in the US", so I went with the number of reported rapes in Hartford, CT last year, which was 46. The population of Hartford is around 125,000, so this works out to .04% of the population, and roughly .08% of men who committed rape in a given year. At that rate, it would take 250 years for 20% of men to become rapists, which is the figure given by sketchbook, and that's assuming that no rapists or anybody else dies or is born and messes up the percentages.

Statistics are definitely not my thing, so feel free to expand/correct my math. I think claiming that 1 in 5 men are rapists requires either some solid documentation or a retraction.
  • edited October 2012
    Cars, ferrets, and keep it that way.
    I would like to lock this thread.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • Lets just keep talking about cars and ferrets...So that F1 never knew that Tales of the River side had gone that serious.