This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pax East 2013

Comments

• I have three just in case. I assume I'll be a speaker again, so I should have at least two to give to friends.
  • Got mine and Andrew's! I've never filled out forms so fast *-*
  • Ugh, not enough moneys to get a pass at this moment because Creative Cloud just billed me. Goddamn.
  • Get, pence might still want one depending on friend getting back to me
  • Cool, cool. I have a few people I'm holding onto passes for here and elsewhere. I'm going to let things shake out for a week or so (if they sell out that quickly) before I know where they're going.
  • edited October 2012
    I want to go, but I think I want to go to PAX Aus more. Although I'm slightly tempted to buy one just in case I feel like want to go in the future...
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • This is a terrible time for my card not to work!!!
  • I'll be Enforcing again, so fortunately I shouldn't have to worry about tickets. I'll have to find a room in one of the close hotels, though...
  • TICKET GET. FUCKYEAH.
  • Thanks to Trogdor, I guess I'm going. Snap decisions and all - I'm sure it'll sink in by tomorrow.

See y'all there for the first time ever!
  • Was on that shit like white on rice.
  • I freaked out because I saw Rym retweet Emily buying tickets; it feels like they're selling them so early... My girlfriend had to get three 1-day passes for Prime this year, so I said fuck it and bought 5 in case friends want to go too. >_<
  • Everyone buying extras is what exacerbates the problem to being with...
    No way around that. Tragedy of the commons.

The problem is going to eventually be maximal even if everyone only buys one: demand is just far higher than supply.
  • Jesus, $70? Is it rising every PAX?
  • While I can justify the ticket, I cannot justify the lodging or airfare to get over there this time around. Thanks to a number of factors, I was way too aggressive with my money this past year, and I need time to recover :(
  • I haz badge but I need to secure travel and lodging. That said, anyone want to share a room to defer costs?
    No way around that. Tragedy of the commons.

The problem is going to eventually be maximal even if everyone only buys one: demand is just far higher than supply.
    With the possibility of tickets selling out early again, it's safer to buy multiple tickets for friends that don't know absolutely if they can make it yet (especially due to lack of organization last minute, regardless of the 4-month gap from now til then). Buying multiples is a feature, not a bug.
  • RymRym
    edited October 2012
    Gabe just tweeted. I think they're almost sold out.

I will likely have four badges to provide to dedicated listeners or friends, but that's it.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I've got an international trip coming up this year, possibly two. So I've gotta budget fairly tightly for vacations. Blah. Maybe I should just make more money.
  • ProfPangloss and I each have a badge. We don't have a hotel room. Anyone looking for 2 awesome roommates?
  • edited October 2012
    Trog, James and I could probably room with you guys, provided I can get a pass.

I can't order for the next 30 minutes or so, though...
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited October 2012
    Trog, James and I could probably room with you guys, provided I can get a pass.
    STOP TALKING ABOUT GETTING BADGES AND GET THEM

IF YOU CAN POST HERE YOU CAN GET A BADGE

#CAPSLOCK
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • I reserved a room at the Sea-whatever. Let me check with the wife tonight, re-evaluate what she is actually saying through her body language, and then assert my male dominance before I tell you if we can squeeze you in.

(also known as: let me check to see if my wife is coming this year before I say yes or no)
  • Buying multiples is a feature, not a bug.
    Did you ever stop to think as to why there seems to be an exponentially shrinking window of time to buy tickets? It's exactly your behavior. People feel that they should purchase as soon as possible just to entertain the possibility of going because the market signals that it's a high valued commodity. Then, when next year rolls around, even more people purchase because they remember that last it sold out super quick. They buy extras just in case their friends may or may not want to go causing the tickets to sell out even faster. It's a vicious cycle.

• ProfPangloss and I each have a badge. We don't have a hotel room. Anyone looking for 2 awesome roommates?
    I am! Let's do this!
  • Buying multiples is a feature, not a bug.
    Did you ever stop to think as to why there seems to be an exponentially shrinking window of time to buy tickets? It's exactly your behavior. People feel that they should purchase as soon as possible just to entertain the possibility of going because the market signals that it's a high valued commodity. Then, when next year rolls around, even more people purchase because they remember that last it sold out super quick. They buy extras just in case their friends may or may not want to go causing the tickets to sell out even faster. It's a vicious cycle.

I want to play the correlation-is-not-causation card, and I'd argue that ticket-buying is only part of the equation. The increased popularity of PAXes and the fact that they're not increasing the attendee size also play heavily into said cycle. The irony of course is that creating more PAX events (as evidenced by the first PAX East) doesn't spread attendees out across events, but rather attracts the same attendees to multiple events.

I still hold up the argument of feature-not-bug. They could easily limit purchases, eg., 1 ticket per credit card.