This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pax East 2013

Comments

• RymRym
    edited October 2012
    Did you ever stop to think as to why there seems to be an exponentially shrinking window of time to buy tickets? It's exactly your behavior. People feel that they should purchase as soon as possible just to entertain the possibility of going because the market signals that it's a high valued commodity. Then, when next year rolls around, even more people purchase because they remember that last it sold out super quick. They buy extras just in case their friends may or may not want to go causing the tickets to sell out even faster. It's a vicious cycle.

Yes, and there is literally no way out of that. Even if everyone who wants to go buys one immediately, it will sell out before all of those people get badges. Even if each person can only buy one, there will come a time in the near future where PAX sells out in seconds.

It's a cycle that cannot be broken out of.

Post edited by Rym on
  • Trog, James and I could probably room with you guys, provided I can get a pass.
    I'd also be interested in this awesome geek room.
  • TvH BADGES GET!
  • Yes, and there is literally no way out of that. Even if everyone who wants to go buys one immediately, it will sell out before all of those people get badges. Even if each person can only buy one, there will come a time in the near future where PAX sells out in seconds.

An interesting relation to me is watching the crowd at Gencon from when I was a kid up to now for comparison and contrast. There are differences, certainly... but there are also some genuine similarities in how the convention changes as the age demographic slightly shifts up in age and more "repeat attendees" start to show up.
  • Trog, James and I could probably room with you guys, provided I can get a pass.
    I'd also be interested in this awesome geek room.
    Well, I've got a pass, and hopefully Bushytop will get his shit together, so I'll Skype you guys later tonight.

See you fuckers in 2013.
  • Yes, and there is literally no way out of that. Even if everyone who wants to go buys one immediately, it will sell out before all of those people get badges. Even if each person can only buy one, there will come a time in the near future where PAX sells out in seconds.

An interesting relation to me is watching the crowd at Gencon from when I was a kid up to now for comparison and contrast. There are differences, certainly... but there are also some genuine similarities in how the convention changes as the age demographic slightly shifts up in age and more "repeat attendees" start to show up.
    Same thing happens to me and Anime Boston, except there the demographic slightly shifted down and fewer (% wise) long time attendees.
  • I'm really excited for this! I finally get to meet all you guys.

Is Pete going?
  • Pete refuses to go. ^_~
  • edited October 2012
    My room will probably be filled with Chase and Karl filling up every available space they can conceivably fit in, but if there's room for overflow I'll let people know.
    Post edited by SquadronROE on
  • I think a larger issue is the cost to value ratio of the tickets. The popularity of PAX is disproportionally high compared to actual cost ofthe ticket. Additionally, the perceived rarity of the tickets adds even more value.

I'm not sure on a solution. Perhaps increase the cost for bulk order of tickets (over two?)
  • I think a larger issue is the cost to value ratio of the tickets. The popularity of PAX is disproportionally high compared to actual cost ofthe ticket. Additionally, the perceived rarity of the tickets adds even more value.

I'm not sure on a solution. Perhaps increase the cost for bulk order of tickets (over two?)
    That wouldn't solve anything. People would just make multiple transactions.
    Pete and Nuri are taking a hard look at their travel expenses and budget. It's not pretty, so anything we haven't already committed to is off the table, and will be reviewed harshly.

PAXE crumpled under scrutiny. The "dollars expended per unit fun" was simply not enough.

• I've spun off a new thread for us to talk about room stuff.
  • 2 passes GET! Will need crash space (and I mean, let us sleep on your floor, we have sleeping bags and mats & live an hour away).
    Pete and Nuri are taking a hard look at their travel expenses and budget. It's not pretty, so anything we haven't already committed to is off the table, and will be reviewed harshly.

PAXE crumpled under scrutiny. The "dollars expended per unit fun" was simply not enough.
    You neglected the dollars expended per unit WUB. T_T

• edited October 2012
    I'll need space at the very least Thursday-Saturday, possibly as far as Thursday-Monday.
    EDIT: Ninja'd by new thread.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Managed to get my badge on my phone while waiting for the subway.
  • I currently only have a room Friday/Saturday at the Westin (two beds) that I'll split but I'm hoping to snipe another night at some point (hoping Sunday).
  • If you spend most of your time at the convention center, you can also get cheaper hotels in the Back Bay area. If it's run the same way as last year, there will be shuttles to and from the BCEC, but you have to be out by midnight or you're finding your own way back.
  • edited October 2012
    WELL FUCK. I BOUGHT TWO TICKETS.

Depending on if my girlfriend can go/wants to go, or if I can convince someone else to go with me I may have 1-2 badges available for purchase. I may also need someone to share a room with if I do not go with my girlfriend.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
    PAX specifically and openly severely underprices the badges for ideological reasons. That's not likely to change any time soon.

I don't think the perceived rarity is at all disparate from the actual rarity.

We will meet someday, and ours shall be the bromance spoken of for generations. Aspiring bros will look upon our tale with envy and say, "Dude."

We will meet someday, and ours shall be the bromance spoken of for generations. Aspiring bros will look upon our tale with envy and say, "Dude."

• edited October 2012
    The TvHs have a room at the Westin, but its filled to capacity. Sorry people who need board.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • PAX specifically and openly severely underprices the badges for ideological reasons. That's not likely to change any time soon.

I don't think the perceived rarity is at all disparate from the actual rarity.

Oh yes, I fully understand the deliberate depreciation of the cost of tickets. It just changes the cost to that of availability and freedom to order tickets (which in turn self-selects for decent computer skills/jobs) instead of financial selection. As for rarity, I think perceived rarity and actual rarity are indeed the same.

• I got in with a spot at the Seaport, yay!
  • Is the fact that PAX East hasn't sold out yet is because the BCEC can hold more people vs. WSCTC?

Also, PAX East! Woot! I'm sad, that Nuri & Pete will not be there, but many of my homiez will be.
  • I can't believe it isn't sold out yet.

If they raised the cap... Well, there's plenty of space. Will have to ask my contacts.
  • This gives me hope that I can still PAX for another year after this one.
  • Next year the tickets will be sold out prior to going on sale.