This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I have business proposal for you kind sir!

edited October 2012 in Everything Else
Is there someone on this forum with a US credit card who can receive PayPal payments and who trusts me with $100?

The ask: Buy a $100 iTunes gift certificate (or two $50 ones) here (link redirects to iTunes) and send it to timo.ruppell(at)gmail.com. Once I receive it I will paypal you $100, you will have my gratitude, and I will owe you one.

If you happen to be Scrymily, Ro or Matt, I will trust you and can send you the money first. Otherwise

If you are interested in helping me out send me an email.

Comments

• I can do this, but why?
  • I'm trustworthy!
  • Is this some weird thing where you can't buy the cards yourself in Finland or something? Or perhaps some game to take advantage of exchange rates between the dollar and the Euro?
  • I don't understand buying cards. You can just buy the things on iTunes directly.
  • Some people don't want to put their credit cards numbers on there. I told my mom to just buy those cards because I don't want to hassle with it if the situation of her getting identify theft were to happen.
  • I don't understand buying cards. You can just buy the things on iTunes directly.
    They are useful as gifts. I keep a few $25 ones around in case of forgotten birthday's and such.

• Some people don't want to put their credit cards numbers on there. I told my mom to just buy those cards because I don't want to hassle with it if the situation of her getting identify theft were to happen.
    Apple doesn't let you do anything without full credit card info.
  • It's overall easier for me to explain to my mother to just buy iTunes gift cards and redeem them on her iPad than to put her credit card info on there.

She is also very cautious because she had identify theft before.
    It could be that he needs to make an American iTunes account, kinda like how some people buy Japanese iTunes cards and make Japanese iTunes accounts to buy anime music.
    Like some people said, they're good as gifts. Also, while this doesn't apply to iTunes per se, I only buy e-cards when I need to buy anything on the PlayStation Network due to Sony's previous incompetence. I trust Amazon far more with my card info than I do Sony.
    Like some people said, they're good as gifts. Also, while this doesn't apply to iTunes per se, I only buy e-cards when I need to buy anything on the PlayStation Network due to Sony's previous incompetence. I trust Amazon far more with my card info than I do Sony.
    Solution: Boycotting all things SONY.
  • But we pay 100 to get 100 back. I don't get it. Should you not give us 105 back or something? I mean, if you marketed this thing as "Can you do me a favor", then sure, but shouldn't a business deal be profitable for both parties?
  • Timo will take off his belt and shower you with physicsy goodness.
    Solution: Boycotting all things SONY.
    Not a viable solution, since some things on Sony aren't available elsewhere. Plus, I have a perfectly good PS3 and I don't see the need to get an Xbox 360 to replace it.

Now, if/when I get a new console, there is a strong chance I won't bother with a Sony console next time.
  • PS+ is so sick. Also thats a lot of copies of Angry Birds, OP
  • edited October 2012
    OK, sorry to leave this thread unnattended. To answer the main question: One can not buy TV series, or movies from the US iTunes store with non-US credit cards. There is a way around this, namely, get someone to buy you a US gift card/certificate and when you redeem it, set up a new account (you only need to do this once).

This exception to the "you need a credit card for an iTunes account" exists so that kids under 18 (i.e. people without credit cards) can get iTunes accounts. I was told this "trick" by an apple store genius some years back and it has worked flawlessly. Until, that is, my usual source of gift cards has run dry. Thus my question to you guys.

Anyway, if you want to do this Scott, let me know your paypal address and I'll send you some e-dough.

As for @Aria: sorry to confuse you, the title was an ironic reference to nigerian spam, the aspect of this being a personal favor was, I thought, made implicitly clear by my "I'll owe you one" quip.

Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • If Scott doesn't do it, I will. Let me know. DM me on Twitter or something.
  • Well Scott is probably having dinner right now, so let's try this Ro.
  • Otay. I'll stop by the store after work. This will probably go down in 2 hours.
  • edited October 2012
    OK, just so you know, the link I posted above goes to electronic gift certificates (the "email gift certificates" ling in iTunes), so you don't need to go to the physical apple store (or Wallmart etc).
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • Nice. Makes it easier.
  • If it doesn't work with Ro, I will do it.

Still, why not just pirate? If they won't legally sell you what you are willing to pay for, piracy is double justified.
  • Futhermore, why would you want to buy TV series or movies on iTunes to begin with?
  • I've bought TV serieses from the iTunes. So I can watch them on my iPad while traveling.
  • I've bought TV serieses from the iTunes. So I can watch them on my iPad while traveling.
    1. Pirate
    2. Handbrake
    3. Watch on iP(hone/od/ad)
  • But this is a charity! :P
  • I can help too if no one has helped you so far.
  • Sorry to hijack but does anyone want to do this for me, except with weed instead of itunes gift cards??
  • It's all good. He already sent me the money, and I sent him the iTunes credit.