This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I changed my mind about mob justice

edited October 2012 in Everything Else
http://www.inquisitr.com/366823/boy-tied-to-tree-and-burned-alive-on-his-eighth-birthday-names-his-attacker-during-death-bed-video/

String this fucker up, with fish hooks, and then just let him hang there for a bit. Like, months.

Comments

• Goddamn, Texas. Get it together.
  • edited October 2012
    While this dude is probably guilty, he still has the right to a fair trial.

It is a horrifying story, but why did this Middleton guy wait for 13 years to accuse the guy he thinks is responsible for it?

And on a different note, why does this news article contain a link to a completely different sex abuse case in its text?
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited October 2012
    I think of all the people who might get a pass for being too traumatized to talk, he's on the top of the list.

The pimping of "related" stories based on keywords is something most news outlets were doing online back in the late 90s, but most stopped.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Nope, I still can't get behind mob justice here.
  • OK let's compromise. Put him on trial for felony murder, and then when he's convicted of raping and setting this little 8 year old boy on fire, on his birthday, just leave him in a room with the kid's mom and dad and/or their designees for as long as they'd like. Vegas rules apply.
  • While this is horrible, and I wish for the culprit to have to serve time over this, I still believe he deserves a fair trial.

Also, from what I could deduce from the YouTube comments, this is common behavior among homosexuals, and making a joke in bad taste is in fact, worse than murder.
  • edited October 2012
    The parents already won a ridiculous, symbolic settlement against the accused in a civil case:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/10/17/robbie-middleton-2012-don-collins/

So the evidence against him must at least be considerable. Though this article indicates that there's weaknesses in the criminal case.

I wonder if the prevailing sentiment regarding homsexuals/homosexuality in Texas, particularly 13 years ago, played a part in the kid's hesitance to speak up.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • edited October 2012
    Not mob violence, but make him eat his own testicles.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • The IQ of a mob equals the mean IQ divided by the number of members.
  • The IQ of a mob equals the mean IQ divided by the number of members.
    So 0.
  • Give him a fair trial. He'll just get shanked in prison and if he somehow wasn't found guilty that's not stopping others from beating the shit out of him daily.
  • There are still plenty of problems with the common-or-garden justice system to even begin to ask if mob justice can be used.
  • I prefer vigilantism over mob justice.
    Ah but that has the old problem of whether the vigalanties morality is the right morality.

• edited October 2012
    I prefer vigilantism over mob justice.
    Ah but that has the old problem of whether the vigalanties morality is the right morality.
    Well, the advantage it has is that there's at least some chance it is, as opposed to the mob's morality, which is always the wrong morality.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
    "Who watches the Watchmen" and all that.
    Well, the advantage it has is that there's at least some chance it is, as opposed to the mob's morality, which is always the wrong morality.
    Does that make them right though? Is Batman's morality the same as Butchers from the Boys? Its something that I find fascinating.
    I prefer vigilantism over mob justice.
    "Who watches the Watchmen" and all that.
    Miss read that as vegimite