This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Star Wars: The Disney Era

Comments

• Matt said:

I refuse to see a Star Trek movie with a badass woman and motor bike racing.

I'm not sure how that's a progressive move to add a woman to a cast only so she can be the protagonist's target for sexual conquest.
  • When did I say it was a progressive move?
  • You implied I was masoginizing.
  • MATATAT said:

And heightened intelligence. Sans magic they're basically just D&D elves.

Their vaguely defined psychic abilities are pretty close to magic though.

I went into ST Beyond with pretty low expectations, and I ended up really enjoying it. Its the first one of the new films that really feels like an ensemble.

I hope Rogue One does well and demonstrates to Disney that they shouldn't be afraid to occasionally make Star Wars installments that don't feature space wizards.
  • J.Sharp said:

MATATAT said:

And heightened intelligence. Sans magic they're basically just D&D elves.

Their vaguely defined psychic abilities are pretty close to magic though.

I went into ST Beyond with pretty low expectations, and I ended up really enjoying it. Its the first one of the new films that really feels like an ensemble.

I hope Rogue One does well and demonstrates to Disney that they shouldn't be afraid to occasionally make Star Wars installments that don't feature space wizards.
    Ah yeah, I did forget about the mind meld.
  • Matt said:

I refuse to see a Star Trek movie with a badass woman and motor bike racing.

I'm not sure how that's a progressive move to add a woman to a cast only so she can be the protagonist's target for sexual conquest.
    Having seen the movie, that's not what remotely happens. Into Darkness was a Brotastic shitshow, Beyond at least legitimately worked for it's references. Hell, I hated the random dune buggy chase in Nemesis and the motorbike in Beyond didn't bother me.
  • edited August 2016
    I can actually get behind the idea that in some scenes, something about the way Rogue One is polished gives me Hunger Games/Maze Runner/etc vibes. But that's a direct result of the current state of camera and VFX and editing technology/techniques, and then the same 'look' is seen in any of the Marvel movies.

Now, I would shed zero tears to see them say "we're doing this shit on Kodak film like true bosses" but this isn't a Nolan film so good luck with that. As it is, using the Alexa 65 is kinda dope.

But beyond the 'visual residue' of the film, the whole young adult rebel against the evil empire is on the face similar to the Hunger Games and such, it could bring up that vibe sure. But that could be the trailer talking. Episode IV was also poor moisture farmer kid somehow becomes the chosen one against the evil Empire and well, yeah. Plus I tend to get more of a Mission Impossible/James Bond etc kind of 'we're making you a secret agent' briefing feel from the scenes. She's getting scolded for being a bit unorthodox, commanders are like "well you're gonna need to kick some ass and it's gonna be dangerous as fuck, you can't fail, got it?" and she's like "fuck yes" in the same way those other secret agents are like "fuck yes" when their handlers pluck them from the abyss and give 'em a job.

So I get certain vibes from certain preview scenes. But then there's a freaking door gunner and I think "Full Metal Jacket" and other war movies, and in other scenes there's some star destroyers and I think "Star Fucking Wars" so all is good so far. There's also plenty of the aforementioned "secret agent" type shit and then some bad guys and crazy characters that makes me think "superhero movie" vibes so... if anything it will suffer from too many influences.

So is there potential for them to screw it up? I mean, obviously. But is there potential for it to work? I'm going to hope the formula is pretty easy now and they can't go too wrong. I'm also going to hope there's some good battles in space, some rapelling down vent shafts to sneak into the vault where the plans are, a few AT-AT's get exploded, and maybe Darth Vader fucks some people up with a lightsaber.
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • HOLY FUCK, FUCK ALL THE HATERS
  • Yep. That trailer invalidates all the crap certain parties were previously dispensing earlier in this thread.
  • edited August 2016
    Yeah I'm more into this than I was for all of Episode VII.

My only hope for it? I just wanna see more Imperial dudes with awesome sideburns. What little we see isn't impressing me yet.

But for real tho, I'm ready. Only a few months now.
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • Don't know if I want to watch any new trailers. I kinda want to go in surprised.
  • Rochelle said:

Don't know if I want to watch any new trailers. I kinda want to go in surprised.

Ditto.
  • Lately I either see movies knowing nothing about them, or knowing everything about them, with no in-between.
  • SPOILER: THEY STEAL THE PLANS TO THE DEATH STAR
  • God damn you, ANDREW!

Vengeance shall be had!
  • Damn it! I was trying to be spoiler free!
  • Rochelle said:

God damn you, ANDREW!

Vengeance shall be had!

NOT BY ANY BOTHANS.

CAUSE THEY DIED.

• Rym said:

Rochelle said:

God damn you, ANDREW!

Vengeance shall be had!

NOT BY ANY BOTHANS.

CAUSE THEY DIED.

ACTUALLY THAT'S THE SECOND DEATH STAR PLANS
  • There you go again.
  • edited August 2016
    Bothans are dying every day why just highlight the ones that died for the second set of plans. Where is your outrage and activism.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Cremlian said:

Bothans are dying every day why just highlight the ones that died for the second set of plans. Where is your outrage and activism.

Already mocking me.
  • Cremlian said:

Already mocking me.
    Toughen up, buttercup. We all tease eachother. Teasing is part of this forum. Don't like it? Redeem yourself or leave.
  • Andrew said:

SPOILER: THEY STEAL THE PLANS TO THE DEATH STAR

Hang on, I want to see if it actually happens.
  • What if it ends like
    Inglourious Basterds
    ?

Or, what if it ends with them failing? They weren't the ones who saved the day. Rebels had already cracked the code/gotten the plans, and they were trying to steal them to throw the Empire off!
  • What if it ends like
    Jar jar wakes up and it was all a dream?
    ?
  • Rochelle said:

What if it ends like

George Lucas wakes up and it was all a dream?
    ?