This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Star Wars: The Disney Era

Comments

• I'll skip all trailers from now on, I think, including the the latest, and hope I don't remember too much from the earlier teaser trailers come December. I think I'll also skip any hype or discussion or spoilers too. I've already bought tickets, so it's not as though I need convincing to see it.

Also I'm on a work trip on the week leading up until the release date. Being on a ship at sea without good internet for a week, then having an overnight flight back to Berlin while the midnight showings is a perfect release day hype and spoilers avoiding situation.

This way my disappointment will hit me cold.
  • I may or may not have reserved an entire row of a theater for 8:30PM on the 17th.
  • Here you couldn't reserve seats, only pay for them in advance.
  • I thought that trailer did a good job of teasing the movie without giving away a lot.
  • I have allowed the hype to flow through me.
  • Someone shared the Star Wars trailer on Facebook. I blocked it.

"You'll no longer see posts from Star Wars in News Feed."

Thank you.
  • I will see it when I can get tickets to the real theater.

Assigned seating or bar service or I don't go to theaters anymore really. ;^)
  • What do you mean by "assigned seating"?
  • What do you mean by "assigned seating"?

Allocated seating. The seat you book is yours.
  • Over the past five years, a large portion of American movie theaters have been undergoing renovations. They rip out the traditional theater seating and install large leather recliners, and you purchase a specific assigned seat when you pay for your ticket.

A small number of these theaters also have food and drink service to your seat. The only real benefit to these is that in showings where alcohol is served, people under the age of 21 aren't allowed, which does a small part in lowering the odds of annoying theater-goers. The seats being more expensive also seems to help.

There was a point where I basically didn't go to any movies in the theater anymore. Everyone was having conversations or was playing with their phone. These changes have both reduced that, and made the remaining instances less noticeable, so I go to a bit more movies now.
  • Dazzle369 said:

What do you mean by "assigned seating"?

Allocated seating. The seat you book is yours.
    You mean this isn't standard? Holy shit. How does America even function?
  • If I had to make a rough estimate, I'd say 75% of the theaters within an hour of me only offer assigned seats now. Like I said though, it's a relatively new thing here. In the past, we just crammed in there, elbow to elbow. I don't know how we did it.
  • I already know I that for Star Wars have center seats, four rows from the back, at 2pm on Friday 18th.
  • I have no theaters near me that offer assigned seating (that I know of).
  • Assigned seating has been here for a few years now, but just one theater. I keep telling the theaters closer to me to do the same thing. They'll listen, eventually.

However, got reserved seats for the 18th. Also got tickets (not reserved) for Saturday, the 19th on the real IMAX with 4K laser system in 3D. I believe. The hype train continues.

Choo-choo.

• edited October 2015
    Disney vs Ghibli

FIGHT!
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • Is it really a fight since Disney has the rights to release Ghibli films in the US?
  • Rochelle said:

Is it really a fight since Disney has the rights to release Ghibli films in the US?

I think they haven't done this since Ponyo.
  • Apreche said:

Rochelle said:

Is it really a fight since Disney has the rights to release Ghibli films in the US?

Incorrect. They still release videos and movies. They are also releasing a big boo-ray box of The Collected Works of Hayao Miyazaki in November with Disney distributing it.
  • Rochelle said:

Apreche said:

Rochelle said:

Incorrect. They still release videos and movies. They are also releasing a big boo-ray box of The Collected Works of Hayao Miyazaki in November with Disney distributing it.
    Yeah, they still have rights to the ones they did before, but they stopped getting new ones. GKIDS is now running the show.
  • They had a long run though. Started with what, The Lion King?
  • Ah, so images and footage will be posted in this thread too? See you in December!
  • I am cautiously intrigued. The prequels burned me too hard, but so did J.J. Abrams with Into Darkness. All my historical data tells me this will be awful...BUT IT LOOKS SO COOL!!!!
  • I might buy tickets for Christmas Eve because that day is totally open at Cinerama.
  • I have thus far enjoyed watching trailer reactions more than the trailer.
  • Nothing like a little Star Wars to bring all the nerds out of the basement.
  • I'm so cynical that a trailer with no real details doesn't get me excited (movie could still suck), but watching other people be happy kinda makes me a little happy.