This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Voted?

Comments

• Remember kids: absentee ballots aren't even counted unless the race is close within a certain percentage from the regular ballots alone.
    Oregon is solid blue for national elections, so I have no moral problem going absentee for the local ones.

• Remember kids: absentee ballots aren't even counted unless the race is close within a certain percentage from the regular ballots alone.
    Oregon is solid blue for national elections, so I have no moral problem going absentee for the local ones.
    Because they all are absentee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absentee_ballot#Pacific_Northwest
  • Waited an hour an a half because the electronic registration machine was down and they had to manually type in license ID numbers into a tablet.
  • This makes me wonder how much does it cost to hold elections in regards to absentee ballots vs voting booths. It seems absentee ballots are more cost effective, but perhaps slower in regards to counting.
  • Absentee ballots are added in at the end of the night in the precinct you are from. Regradless of how close it is.
  • I'm also in the largest county, where we pretty much decided for the rest of the state. :P
  • @Lou both Washington and Oregon are the only two states that conducts their elections by mail.
    Ah, thanks for clarifying.
    Waited an hour an a half because the electronic registration machine was down and they had to manually type in license ID numbers into a tablet.
    You know, it's because of situations such as these that I think the old ways of pen and paper are sometimes better. This is coming from a technophile who works in technology!
  • We just walked in and voted. No wait. :D
  • Calibration issue.
  • edited November 2012
    Apparently not, if you read the video description:
    I initially selected Obama but Romney was highlighted. I assumed it was being picky so I deselected Romney and tried Obama again, this time more carefully, and still got Romney. Being a software developer, I immediately went into troubleshoot mode. I first thought the calibration was off and tried selecting Jill Stein to actually highlight Obama. Nope. Jill Stein was selected just fine. Next I deselected her and started at the top of Romney's name and started tapping very closely together to find the 'active areas'. From the top of Romney's button down to the bottom of the black checkbox beside Obama's name was all active for Romney. From the bottom of that same checkbox to the bottom of the Obama button (basically a small white sliver) is what let me choose Obama. Stein's button was fine. All other buttons worked fine.
    In any case, the similarity to the Homer video is very amusing.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Well...that's horrifying right there.
  • Again, electronic voting machines are a problem looking for a solution. There is nothing wrong with paper ballots with electronic tabulation. Hell, looking at this e-voting machine, I don't see anything it does that improves on paper ballots.
  • I think you mean a solution looking for a problem.
  • Uhhh... don't know if can?
  • edited November 2012
    Well I voted...amidst all the excitement, someone collapsed in the voting line (about a 15 minute wait), paramedics were called, things were delayed.

In addition, someone was stopping cars on the sidewalk offering a "Republican Voter's Guide" I sighed deeply when I realized when every single person in line had one and were probably blindly following it.

The BEST part was this small group of people discussing it, one woman loudly pronounced "Thank the lord they have these otherwise I wouldn't know WHAT to vote on all those amend-o-thingies"

One other thing, we had paper ballots,3 pages long. I noted that the voting machine that tabulated our sheets had a total sheet count, it was not a number divisible by three
    Post edited by Reol on
  • edited November 2012
    I voted. One of the people running the polling station was a cute pegasister. How do I know? Because we were both wearing Fluttershy shirts.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Total sheet count might span elections.
  • The BEST part was this small group of people discussing it, one woman loudly pronounced "Thank the lord they have these otherwise I wouldn't know WHAT to vote on all those amend-o-thingies"
  • Getting accused of trolling on facebook news feeds right and left for countering 11th hour voting propaganda with facts and sources....
  • Surrounded on all sides by asshats today. Had to get snarky at one point.

"Who did you vote for?"

"Sloviathan the Unbeliever."

"What?"

"Oh. You mean national elections. Not universal? Sorry, I couldn't be bothered."
  • Voted this morning before going to a training class.
  • Tried to compare and contrast corporate vs individual welfare for a Romney voting coworker this morning. He nodded and expressed agreement with me whenever I ranted about the oil industry or other ridiculous tax subsidies and loopholes, but every time it was his turn to talk all he could do was rant about welfare fraud in minority neighborhoods endlessly whether or not it was relevant to the current conversation.
  • edited November 2012
    I think you mean a solution looking for a problem.
    Maybe, but then again, I think they honestly are a problem first and foremost and not a solution at all. :)

As much as I like technology, sometimes the old ways are still the better ways. Hovercraft are more advanced and cooler than wheeled vehicles, but wheels overall are definitely more practical and more reliable than hovercraft, hence why we still use them except in specific cases where the hovercraft's advantages actually matter. Of course, we've improved upon the wheels with better axle lubricants, superior rubber compounds, and so on, but someone from ancient Egypt would still recognize a modern wheel as a wheel. Same thing applies to paper ballots. We have improved upon them slightly by using electronic tabulation machines, but someone from the 1700's will still recognize a modern day ballot as a ballot.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • Total sheet count might span elections.
    I thought about that too, but I'm not sure. I checked my district's stats when I got home, We've got 2,119 people in my district. At most, if there were no early voting or absentee ballots, the count shouldn't exceed 6,357. The total count on the device was 1502 when I left, it would make sense it were reset in the morning.
  • Rolled over?
  • I think you mean a solution looking for a problem.
    Maybe, but then again, I think they honestly are a problem first and foremost and not a solution at all. :)

As much as I like technology, sometimes the old ways are still the better ways. Hovercraft are more advanced and cooler than wheeled vehicles, but wheels overall are definitely more practical and more reliable than hovercraft, hence why we still use them except in specific cases where the hovercraft's advantages actually matter. Of course, we've improved upon the wheels with better axle lubricants, superior rubber compounds, and so on, but someone from ancient Egypt would still recognize a modern wheel as a wheel. Same thing applies to paper ballots. We have improved upon them slightly by using electronic tabulation machines, but someone from the 1700's will still recognize a modern day ballot as a ballot.
    Damn it now I want to play Battletech.
  • CT uses paper balots with scanners. A few elections ago we still used lever machines .

Right now my FB feed is full of 'Romney == police state' posts. Reminds me of '96 when my liberal friends insisted Dole would outlaw abortion on day one.

Republicans may talk tough on abortion but who uses it more, Dems or Repubs? Why would Republicans get rid of something that kills Dems before they are born ?
  • Lever machines are the best. If I lived in a house with a big empty basement I would install a DDR machine and a decommissioned lever voting machine. Pretty sure they are still used in Beacon where I voted with one as recently as 2008. My parents might also still use them in Trumbull, CT.