This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Voted?

124»

Comments

• Voted this morning at a nearby elementary school. Trying to figure out where to park was a bit of a hassle with all the kids getting dropped off by parents. Not too long a line though.

In Texas we vote on the county tax-assessor position, and I voted for the Libertarian candidate mostly because their philosophy is directly against the existence of that position, which reminded me of Ron Swanson, who amuses me. Other than that I mostly voted Democrats for national offices and Democrats or Greens for local stuff.
  • They DIDN'T give those kids the day off?!
    They never do. I used to go to school on voting day with actual polls in the school all the time.
    Nope, but they did take away their gym for the day.
  • My voting location is in a church. The challenge is in getting in, voting and getting out before I burst into flame.
  • edited November 2012

Boom.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • +1 for the Kenyan Muslim Usurper, Mr. Barrage "The Islamic Shock" O'Trauma!
  • I voted and got a pretty decent hot dog from some girls doing a little bake sale. Good stuff.
  • I voted that shit before I walked in the room!

By absentee ballot a week ago. Which is nice, because I'm in Wisconsin today.
  • I voted that shit before I walked in the room!
    That's totally what I'm telling people now.
  • edited November 2012
    I voted this morning, but not with Rym because he had to hurry and go to work. I walked two blocks to the local High School, and it was pretty fast even though the old ladies took forever to find my name. I was glad there were a lot of young people working the polls. In my district, it was all Scantron style. Apparently you aren't supposed to get a sticker?
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • There use to be stickers for us on the absentee ballots to wear, but they got rid of that for several years now. Saves money I guess. :/
  • edited November 2012
    We didn't get stickers in my district either.

We did get a big news crew turnout this morning when Scott Brown showed up to vote.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • Voted!

I ended up having to go to 3 different locations to find my correct location. Once was my fault. The other one I blame on them.

I also had to vote in a church. Where can I complain?
  • Hauled my whole family out to vote and let my little brother help me fill out the ballot. Then we bought $20 worth of stuff at the bake sale.

I like the idea of bake sales at polling places, then I can exercise my right to vote and buy delicious banana bread at the same time!
  • Hauled my whole family out to vote and let my little brother help me fill out the ballot. Then we bought $20 worth of stuff at the bake sale.

I like the idea of bake sales at polling places, then I can exercise my right to vote and buy delicious banana bread at the same time!
    Ah, yes, the all important 8th amendment: the right to eat baked goods, introduced due to restrictions on wheat imports under British rule, forcing Americans to give up such delicacies.
  • edited November 2012
    Lots out voting and had a hour wait. Lots of parents keeping their kids busy with iphones.

Overall only had one page of legalize this time. Our electronic voting machines I don't mind they had a paper backup that you can see what was recorded on the slip. Not as much funny business with the issues as last election. Cross fingers that there doesn't need to be another recount in Ohio this year.

Got a sticker too but they started running short about an hour before the polls closing.

We had soup and sandwiches at my polling place. I choose the better of the choices french onion soup and half a open face steak.
    Voted!

I ended up having to go to 3 different locations to find my correct location. Once was my fault. The other one I blame on them.

I also had to vote in a church. Where can I complain?
    Church also but they went out of their way to remove every religious item and all signage.

AHA is taking submissions if you feel laws were violated at your location

legal@americanhumanist.org

If your local polling place is in a church, please contact the AHA’s Appignani Humanist Legal Center[2] at legal@americanhumanist.org[3] if you feel that your polling place is not a fair and neutral place to vote and/or you witness any of the following (where it’s legal, also send a picture of how it looks on election day, if possible):
    • any evidence of politicking by the church directed at voters at the polling place
    • if there are church members on premises on election day speaking to voters or handing out literature
    • if the part of the church which voters use is neutral in appearance or if it instead contains significant religious elements
    Taken from their facebook page.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • edited November 2012
    I've gone with my mom to vote in a church as a kid. No real big deal. None of the church's religious staff was visible there as far as I could tell. Sometimes churches are just the most convenient location in a neighborhood without any other buildings large enough to hold all the voting equipment. Typically it would be in a church basement or some other part of the building with minimal religious decoration.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • I also didn't get a sticker.
  • Describes my vote I guess.
  • 3rd party?
  • Maybe if the Pragmatic party ever got off the ground.

Rym.
  • edited November 2012
    Describes my vote I guess.
    (srs fox, just let us link to high quality clips to your IP)

But, for real, I've heard people say there are serious legal impediments to third parties in the US but it seems like this article is the only thing I can find and while it doesn't seem crazy, it is 30 years old, but then I guess this isn't a new problem.

The tl;dr is that the Electoral College, Ballet Access Restriction Laws and Campaign Finance laws (as well as various sore loser laws and other hurdles) make it extremely difficult if not virtually impossible of any third party to make political headway and there is no political capital in changing that.

Instead of sending a message by casting a third party vote, these legal and bureaucratic hedge mazes seem like the things that need to be overcome for real change to ever happen.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • The best line has got to be "How come Im so cross with you, it can't be that beard its gourguse".