This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anime Boston 2013

Comments

• I'll bet the convention center demands to run it all themselves and is arbitrary, slow, and annoying. Not AB's fault, but that's what I suspect will happen. I was never impressed with the staff of the Hynes...
  • If they're any worse than the Baltimore CC staff...Yeah, it could get bad.
  • Well, if you want to ask the Convention Center about the changes:
    info@massconvention.com

I sent a long list of questions, and am waiting for a response.
  • edited May 2013
    They checked my bag before I went into the Bike Expo in NYC. They clearly did not give any fucks about what was in my bag. I could have hidden any number of things under the all the clothes in my backpack that they didn't actually look through.

Yay security theater.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Lou, do you have any inside scoop on the logistics? Will there be a bag-free lane for speedier access, or will going bagless only save one the few moments of actually having their own bag searched?
    We're still sorting it out, but to answer Rym's supposition, it's all being handled by the Hynes staff itself. To the best of my knowledge so far, the only bag-free lane is for certain special cases of pre-checked staff. Everyone else, including "non-special" staff like me, is subject to a bag check.
  • edited May 2013
    Delete: Multiple post for some reason.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • Hmm, so if we all have to go through the bag-check lane even if we don't have bags, there's not much incentive to go bagless. Or any clear way to minimize inconvenience (other than probably arriving early, and bringing food so as not to have to leave for meals).
  • Hmm, so if we all have to go through the bag-check lane even if we don't have bags, there's not much incentive to go bagless. Or any clear way to minimize inconvenience (other than probably arriving early, and bringing food so as not to have to leave for meals).
    Except with a bag check they probably won't let you bring food in.
  • edited May 2013
    Hmm, so if we all have to go through the bag-check lane even if we don't have bags, there's not much incentive to go bagless. Or any clear way to minimize inconvenience (other than probably arriving early, and bringing food so as not to have to leave for meals).
    Except with a bag check they probably won't let you bring food in.
    That would be a severe problem for staff as we typically get food in the form of vouchers for the Prudential food court and usually just run out, grab food, and bring it back. However, all I've seen so far indicates that the bag check is purely for weapons and similar illegal contraband like drugs, explosives, and whatnot. Food shouldn't be an issue.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • we typically get food in the form of vouchers for the Prudential food court and usually just run out, grab food, and bring it back.
    That's just the situation where I suspect bag-check lines will be brutal. The Hynes entrance on the Prudential center, where one also might exit to get to AB events at the Sheraton, is going to be a mob scene. Getting back into the Hynes after lunch is going to be a drag.
  • Also, people tend to walk in and out of the convention center into the mall constantly in my recollection. The mall is an extension of the usable space, and relieves crowding elsewhere.

If the bag check is there, that's going to keep more people inside of the convention center, which means more crowding issues than usual...
  • All I can say is security theater *shrugs*. Sadly, we're stuck with what the MCCA is telling us to do.
  • Well, a few AB staff (who aren't Lou) gave me some inside scoop.

AB knows the deal and is trying to work around it. They'll do the best they can: it's the MCCA's sole choice to make this a disaster or not.
  • At least it gives us something to talk about, but fake security is something we talk about often. Yawn.

I imagine the hotel won't have bullshit security. Probably spend more time over there.
  • I wonder if AB is MCCA's guinea pig for the Hynes at full capacity with these new rules. The calendar doesn't list anything that looks as big as AB between now and then, but I don't know what other conferences might have happened over the past couple weeks.

It's a hard space for implementing bag checks, especially given that the entrances weren't designed with such a thing in mind. And I can only think of two entrances (the Pru mall, and the main entrance on Boylston), which screams bottleneck to me. Are there entrances I've forgotten?
  • There are a few small entrances that connect directly between the Hynes and the Sheraton, but other than loading docks, that's pretty much it.
  • Some good news on the bag check front. There will be no-bag lines and they will only be checking bags for weapons, alcohol, and the like. You will be allowed to bring outside food into the con.
  • Any plans for pre-con gaming on Thursday?
  • Some good news on the bag check front. There will be no-bag lines and they will only be checking bags for weapons, alcohol, and the like. You will be allowed to bring outside food into the con.
    Thanks Lou, that's good to know.

• FYI, I'll be on self-imposed "limited hours" at the con if anyone is looking for me. This is basically because I'll be going home in the evenings to help take care of the new baby.
  • Is it time for a GroupMe or somesuch? I believe Greg was the last SMS-only person, and he now has smart phone so maybe we are now more flexible.
  • Is it time for a GroupMe or somesuch? I believe Greg was the last SMS-only person, and he now has smart phone so maybe we are now more flexible.
    Get one started and I'll join in :P
    Get one started and I'll join in :P
    Done. I made a GroupMe and added you, Greg, Lou, and Viga.

• Add me? What do you need from me?
  • Add me? What do you need from me?
    Done. If you didn't get the invite, let me know (I used your contact info from a previous GroupMe group).

• My daughter and I may or may not attend. She has everything but the hat for her Ness cosplay and the hat just came back in stock when the rest of the stuff arrived!

If we go it will likely be Saturday only. Not spending the cash on a hotel room and if we stay with family in the area we'll be hanging with them on Sunday.
  • Does anime Boston "sell out" of Saturday passes?
  • I've never heard of it happening.
  • It's not implausible, given the trend in attendance, but it has never happened before, and it would definitely be surprising.