This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anime Boston 2013

Comments

• Does anyone want me to bring Cards Against Humanity, MLB Spot It, Fluxx, We Didn't Playtest This At All, or Bananagrams? I know I'm late to the party on a lot of these, but I'll bring them along if anyone wants to play.
  • Which expansions do you have? If CAH is desired, the TvH copy has all the expansions, including all the PAX expansions, and would probably be better than one without them.
  • I thought about bringing a copy of quartile but I don't want to have to carry stuff.
  • They definitely do not. Anime Boston tabletop is really meager.
    It's a good thing ConnectiCon is running live gaming at AB this year!!

• They definitely do not. Anime Boston tabletop is really meager.
    It's a good thing ConnectiCon is running live gaming at AB this year!!

Did not know that. Wool!
  • Can someone add me to the GroupMe? ultimohayabusa@gmail.com
  • Which expansions do you have? If CAH is desired, the TvH copy has all the expansions, including all the PAX expansions, and would probably be better than one without them.
    I just have the PAX stuff. I don't have a lot of people to play it with other than at cons so I didn't want to go crazy.
  • It's last minute but can someone add me to the groupme? I believe I was using magnusrex@live.com but I bet a few of you have me as a contact anyways.
  • Wow, I'm not going to Anime Boston, but I just looked at GroupMe and it is awesome!
  • Can someone add me to the GroupMe? ultimohayabusa@gmail.com
    It's last minute but can someone add me to the groupme? I believe I was using magnusrex@live.com but I bet a few of you have me as a contact anyways.
    Done.

Did not know that. Wool!
    "Wool!" is the new "bayshore."

Also FYI I did pack CAH with expansions. Hart, I don't know if it's actually more than you've got; all expansions were for sale at PAX I believe.
  • Also FYI I did pack CAH with expansions. Hart, I don't know if it's actually more than you've got; all expansions were for sale at PAX I believe.
    Did they have the holiday expansion? There were also the free PAX East A/B/C minipacks as well.

I just bought a longbox to store CAH.
  • Also FYI I did pack CAH with expansions. Hart, I don't know if it's actually more than you've got; all expansions were for sale at PAX I believe.
    Did they have the holiday expansion? There were also the free PAX East A/B/C minipacks as well.

I just bought a longbox to store CAH.
    Oh, actually no, they didn't have the holiday expansion. Just tthree black box expansions. And i got A B C too. I brought the lot to AB.
  • Just got home from AB and I have noticed a trend. First Con I took my kid too we spent most time and money in the dealers room. This time we spent most of our time and my money in artist alley.

It has been a trend over the last few Cons...
  • edited May 2013
    Found out that the AMV I submitted won Best Concept!
    Post edited by Snickety-Snake on
  • I was near Anime Boston all weekend, but I was at my job training. My parents exploring Boston encountered it, but I didn't. XD
  • My collection of cosplay pics. I realize that this forum isn't huge on cosplay, but I thought there were a lot of valiant efforts at AB (also, a happily surprising amount of Utena and Princess Tutu). Only going to embed the ones that are really must-sees.
    Two of the three full-body puppet Charlottes, meeting on account of my introducing them. It was pretty fantastic. The third full-body puppet Charlotte is in the album.
    Initial D cosplay. Thought Scott would like.
    Security inspecting a Marlboro from FF someodd. I really love this picture. I only wish that I had had a better camera to take it with. Dude wasn't allowed to wear the costume for the rest of the con. It got a roped off area set up for it next to a dealers room entrance -- after getting a thorough inspection in the security office first. All the glory it needed and deserved, but none of the hassle.
  • The Initial D cosplay is also a Top Gear cosplay. He's dressed as the Stig.
    I was wondering about that. Because he's definitely not dressed as any Initial D character. I thought maybe he was trying to be a personification of the AE86 or something.
    Not pictured: the other side of the car with the Initial D logo on it.
  • My collection of cosplay pics. I realize that this forum isn't huge on cosplay, but I thought there were a lot of valiant efforts at AB (also, a happily surprising amount of Utena and Princess Tutu). Only going to embed the ones that are really must-sees.
    My number one tip for you for better photos:

You're too tall! Go down on one knee to take the photos. This way you won't be looking down at all the subjects. It will mean that:

a. the main focus of them (their head) isn't crowded out by loads of other faces in the background, instead they'll stand out against the wall/roof behind.

b. the people sitting on the floor won't stand out, nor will the floor itself.

c. You'll get a better view of the whole character and costume.

d. It'll be easier to get in the feet (don't chop off people's feet!).

e. It'll stop the weird huge-head-tiny-feet thing that happens when taking photos from above.

f. Big costumes will seem bigger and more impressive when shot from below or straight on. Little costumes/small people will look like normal people.
  • Thanks, Luke. I had thought about most of those things, but never enough to realize how simple the solution was.
  • Found out that the AMV I submitted won Best Concept!
    Congrats! That's a really awesome idea, and perfect execution.

• Also, whoever did the PONIES! panel at AB was a genius. As far as I can tell, everyone fell for it.
  • Also, whoever did the PONIES! panel at AB was a genius. As far as I can tell, everyone fell for it.
    What was it about?
    What was it about?
    Ponies. In anime.

Like, literal anime horses, not like Twilight Sparkle and shit.
  • I
    Also, whoever did the PONIES! panel at AB was a genius. As far as I can tell, everyone fell for it.
    What was it about?
    Ponies. In anime.

Like, literal anime horses, not like Twilight Sparkle and shit.
    I read the description and loved what they did there. XD

• edited May 2013
    Also, whoever did the PONIES! panel at AB was a genius. As far as I can tell, everyone fell for it.
    That was one of the main reasons I approved it. :)

Edit: Okay, it was the main reason, although the content also looked pretty interesting anyway and would've been better than the standard "Fighting Fighter Fight EX is the best anime ever, woooo!" panels.

I loved how about a dozen or so bronies walked out right after the presenter said that the panel had nothing to do with MLP at the beginning of his panel.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • Really, it's disgraceful. If I was fooled into going into a panel I was thinking was about X, but it was about Y, and Y was awesome, why wouldn't I stay?
  • Really, it's disgraceful. If I was fooled into going into a panel I was thinking was about X, but it was about Y, and Y was awesome, why wouldn't I stay?
    Well, it is disgraceful that they left, that I certainly agree with. Maybe it's my evil side, but I found their dejected reactions about the true subject matter humorous. To be fair, the vast majority of the people in that panel room stayed and seemed to get some enjoyment out of the panel, at least for as long as I stayed in that room and observed. My favorite was some dude wearing one of those rubber horse masks, only this one was of a white unicorn. When they showed clips of Unico on the screen, horse-mask-dude was yelling out "That's my son!" I couldn't help but chuckle a bit there.

Also, they weren't fooled at all. The panel's description explicitly stated that it was about ponies/horses/etc. in anime. No where at all did it claim that it was about MLP. If you showed up at the panel expecting a MLP panel and were disappointed, it's your own damned fault for not reading the description.

• That is hilarious.