This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Book Club - The Name of the Wind

2»

Comments

• Yeah, I'm mostly through the second book...

Not going to read the third one.

Not like you have choice :)

I'll read it, but I'm certainly not paying any money for it. I really just want to see how many of the side-characters end up dead by the end of things.

• RymRym
    edited November 2012
    I will consume the rest of this series via wikipedia spoilers. I hate to say it, but nothing further appears to be gained from the text itself as opposed to a summary thereof.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I get the impression that in the 3rd book all of his "Aw I'm so awesome look at me" bollocks comes crashing down and he realises that he's a bit of a shit. There is something about the little bugger though. He is very much a hero in a classical sense. Go read the Iliad and tell me that Achilles isn't a spoilt knob, or that Heracles isn't some sort of egomaniacal douche. I get the feel that for all of his super wonderful awesomeness it will all come crashing down in a wave of hubris.
  • OH MY GOD THESE BOOKS...

So, after his sexventures in Fae, Kvothe travels to a faraway land to do what is basically wizard school...
  • I feel like you guys are missing the intentional irony of the book...

I do agree that there are large chunks that could have been edited way down like the Fairy Sexventures dating sim and Kung Fu school, but overall I'm just not as "angry" at the protagonist as you seem to be.
  • Having not read any of this, I want to know how sex/kung-fu/sorcery plays into killing the king.
  • I feel like you guys are missing the intentional irony of the book...

I do agree that there are large chunks that could have been edited way down like the Fairy Sexventures dating sim and Kung Fu school, but overall I'm just not as "angry" at the protagonist as you seem to be.
    Oh, I'm not angry at the protagonist. I'm angry at the author. ;^)

The books are reasonably fun despite their flaws. But there is little elegance or artistry in the telling.

• I just don't agree. I think Kvothe is quite humorously written, with the exception of the long dry spells I mentioned where the author is just jerking off.
  • OH MY GOD THESE BOOKS...

So, after his sexventures in Fae, Kvothe travels to a faraway land to do what is basically wizard school...
    The second book is all diversion within diversions within diversions.
  • Having not read any of this, I want to know how sex/kung-fu/sorcery plays into killing the king.
    He masters sex and the ultimate sword fighting style in a couple of months really. Its one of the big parts of the book where you go "really? really?". I could handle him being really smart but weedy, but now being a sex pro and sword master takes the cake.

• Also, Lethani is basically a poor man's Dunyain Shortest Path. ;^)
  • edited November 2012
    Having not read any of this, I want to know how sex/kung-fu/sorcery plays into killing the king.
    He masters sex and the ultimate sword fighting style in a couple of months really. Its one of the big parts of the book where you go "really? really?". I could handle him being really smart but weedy, but now being a sex pro and sword master takes the cake.

It makes (no) sense if you think about it; Kvothe's essentially a perfect superbeing, so obviously he'll be great in bed (despite being a worse virgin than most male harem anime leads), and that he'll be super awesome at sword fighting (the non-penis kind).

Rym, Lethani is Zen for Dummies. A poor man's Dunyain would be much cooler than that.
    Post edited by Banta on
  • edited November 2012
    Finished book 2. Enjoyable once he leaves the university. Too long. But still worth a read.

Feel like a good sci-fi/space story. Something along the lines of Pandora's Star or Hyperion.

Any suggestions?

Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • Also, Lethani is basically a poor man's Dunyain Shortest Path. ;^)
    Speaking of Dunyain... I was trying to figure out what the Dunyain might be in terms of current psychology diagnosis. They seem like a eugenics Schizoid program to remove all traits of Schizotypal/Schizophrenic traits and just make the pure logical no-desire having people... but without the usual aversions and negatives. Or something.

Actually, I personally never even figured out what sort of philosophy they had beyond cursory looks. Here's to hoping the next book reveals more about it...
  • Heard Earthsea mentioned a few times now. That is my next book.
  • So, the second book ends with...

...Kvothe returning to wizard school for another term.
  • Three guesses as to if Rym's gonna bother with book three, and the first two don't count.
  • So, the second book ends with...

...Kvothe returning to wizard school for another term.
    ROFL, I know right??

I'll read book 3 if it ever comes out. But you know it will only bring us up to "present day" Kvothe, so I doubt any of the Chandrian stuff will be resolved, and in fact, he mentioned in one of the interludes that "his story" may be of use to someone else one day (implying he failed).

Ill read it. Sure.
  • edited December 2012
    you know it will only bring us up to "present day" Kvothe, so I doubt any of the Chandrian stuff will be resolved, and in fact, he mentioned in one of the interludes that "his story" may be of use to someone else one day (implying he failed).
    Kvothe's parents where killed for telling stories about the Chandrian. Kvothe's is telling a long ass story about trying to find the Chandrian and he's telling it to the most famous chronicler in the world. If there isn't some kind of unreliable narrator stuff happening, then your theory will probably be the twist.

I will also read it.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on