This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Weed is legal! Now what?

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Wow. That song is actually just a how-to on blunt rolling.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Wow. That song is actually just a how-to on blunt rolling.
    It's certainly a descriptive title. It's also traditionally the first song we'd play during any evening of smoking up in Ravenhome.

• Any guesses about the next 3 states to legalise pot?

I'm going to go with Vermont as my #1 vote.
  • Kentucky will have a vote on medicinal marijuana next year.

Vermont, Massachusetts, New York.

I think that's a fair guess. New York is fairly progressive, Massachusetts has already decriminalized weed for amounts less than an ounce, and Vermont's number 1 export is weed.
  • edited November 2012
    Cali. The were the first to medicinalize it but it's still not openly available there. Then I would assume maybe New York? Also Oregon.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Yeah I think its probably just not worth it overall. I think most of that is extreme cases and fearmongering, but they all have different formulas and don't always say what specific jwh something or other is in them.
    Extreme cases possibly, but I don't think my friends were trying to scare me.

Weed rap!

• edited November 2012
    I was waiting to see who was going to post that, but I didn't expect it to be Scott. Top work, chap.
    Post edited by Churba on

I dunno about Massachusetts. We just got medical, which might satisfy a lot of people for a while. Then again, if my high school experience was anything like typical, then every person who turns 18 is another person who will vote "yes".
  • edited November 2012
    I was waiting to see who was going to post that, but I didn't expect it to be Scott. Top work, chap.
    That song was stuck in my head for like years and I've never gotten high..
    Post edited by Cremlian on

I dunno about Massachusetts. We just got medical, which might satisfy a lot of people for a while. Then again, if my high school experience was anything like typical, then every person who turns 18 is another person who will vote "yes".
    Well, Massachusetts hasn't legalized pot, but we have decriminalized it. If you get caught with a couple joints' worth on you, it's only like a $50 fine or something. No jail time or anything -- just a ticket.

I don't think New York will be in the next three. New York is strangely progressive in some areas, and conservative in others. It takes forever for things to pass here. Heck, MMA fights are still illegal in NY because the Assembly Speaker (Sheldon Silver) is personally against it.
  • edited November 2012
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/14/new-england-marijuana-legalization_n_2130925.html

Rhode Island, Maine, Vermont, and Massachusetts are reasonably good bets, though if we're guessing the next three one would have to work out which of them will be slower than the others.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited November 2012
    Why does everyone think it will be all east coast states?

fixed
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • IIRC, Texas previously floated a decriminalization act four years or so ago and the Texas Democratic party is making it a major platform issue.

I honestly don't care how easy or difficult it is for an individual to access cannabis as an issue in and of itself, but the criminalization of drug use is a huge drain on governmental funds/resources, ineffective as a preventative and reformative measure, and increases violent crimes. Decriminalization, regulation, taxation, restrictive use laws (i.e. driving, when caring for children, etc.) and medical treatment for addiction is the fiscally and socially responsible move.
  • A company that makes medicinal marijuana dispensers saw their stocks rise from $4 a share to $200+ a share.

Capitalism.
  • I think it's inevitable that pot becomes taxed like alcohol and tobacco. It's progress.

I'm very curious to see how those businesses that sell pot for recreational usage are treated by the rest of the business establishment though. For example, how will banks treat them? Will manufacture and distribution chains be created, or since we're in the middle of a "go local" boom, will it remain locally sourced and rolled rather than centralized like tobacco did?

If it does get big enough for a true manufacture and distribution chain, what will marketing look like? Will it be like the above artwork, all out there and wild, or will it be more restrained?

Most importantly, how would Wall Street react to a pot company going public?
  • I don't know how it may change in the near future, but currently banks won't touch them because of federal drug laws.
  • Yeah, that's what the Planet Money thingy was about. They basically would have to register with the bank as a local agriculture company.
  • http://boingboing.net/2012/11/16/marijuana-dispenser-machine-co.html

I think Wall Street will welcome pot companies, considering THAT spike.
  • The UN can go suck a dick.
  • The Feds aren't going to challenge anything that bumps a publically-traded stock more than two hundred points. Trust the invisible hand.
  • I enjoy listening to some of my more ignorant students pine to live in a state that legalized weed like it's some sort of 24-7 smoke-a-thon. I love reminding then that they're still too young to buy it legally anyhow and watching their dreams die.