This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Weed is legal! Now what?

Comments

• I've never been. I'm going to try to go there to see what it's all about. My cousin has a booth there for Stoner Chics.
  • I've never been either, but when I worked downtown you could tell it was happening by the people that are suddenly wandering around.
  • I bought a weed soda thing. We'll see how this goes.
  • See you on the other side.
  • Weed soda sounds like it would taste terrible... if it ever becomes legal here in NJ I'll have to review it for my channel!
  • Yeah the soda itself wasn't that great. It was mostly juice with carbonated water and tasted a bit weird. But it did the trick.
  • MATATAT said:

Yeah the soda itself wasn't that great. It was mostly juice with carbonated water and tasted a bit weird. But it did the trick.

The trick being that it got you sufficiently high to A: Like it and B: Buy another bottle?
  • edited August 2016

MATATAT said:

Yeah the soda itself wasn't that great. It was mostly juice with carbonated water and tasted a bit weird. But it did the trick.

The trick being that it got you sufficiently high to A: Like it and B: Buy another bottle?
    Yeah, I would probably buy it again. So this particular one only had pomegranate as the sativa flavor, they had a flavor for a hybrid as well as an indica. Since I usually like to go sativa I was basically limited to pomegranate. I'd recommend the soda (despite being a tad expensive) but as far as the soda part goes the other flavors might be better.

I mostly wanted to buy it to see how well it worked. Since I've heard people kinda poo poo some of the more exotic "edibles" saying they don't really work very well. Things like lollipops and such. The particular store that I go to the most is called Stash, which I think is one of the better stores, had chocolate, cookies, a couple other things, and then the soda. I ended up going with the lowest mg one which was 10mg. Considering I don't partake very often this was probably the best place to start at least for me. Any more and it would have maybe been a bit too much.

Normally I just buy CO2 oil.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • It's been a while since I've purchased. The stores have upped their game by providing more variety of consumption. I'm very impressed. I'll stick with edibles for now.

I tend to stick with sativa, but I'm interested in indica for when my body just doesn't like me. The proprietors were talking to me about CBD products as well. Good to know for future prospects.
  • Rochelle said:

It's been a while since I've purchased.

Yeah this might be the... 4th time I've gone into a store and bought some sort of product since it was legalized? I think my previous outing was like around the same time last year.
  • I've noticed it's gotten cheaper as well. No complaints. I got Snicker Doodles, Turtles, Chocolate Truffles, & Chocolate peanut butter truffles for the weekend for not a lot.

Tempted to make another run to try the indica edibles because my back/hips are not liking me right now.
  • Prop 64 just passed. Marijuana is now legal in California.
  • You're gonna need it.
  • At this point it's kind of a hollow victory.
  • my mom said:

Well, the ballot question on legalizing pot passed. Maybe we could just spend the next 4 years stoned!

• Now that the Fed is completely controlled by republicans, how does that affect the federal application of drug laws to states that have legalized weed?
  • zehaeva said:

Now that the Fed is completely controlled by republicans, how does that affect the federal application of drug laws to states that have legalized weed?

For what it is worth.... Trump has said he is for medical marijuana. He has also said that it is a state rather than federal issue.
  • HMTKSteve said:

zehaeva said:

Now that the Fed is completely controlled by republicans, how does that affect the federal application of drug laws to states that have legalized weed?

For what it is worth.... Trump has said he is for medical marijuana. He has also said that it is a state rather than federal issue.
    So basically he's non committal like everything he says.
  • I'm personally quite excited that weed is now legal in California. I've never tried it because it was illegal but I've always wanted to see what it's like.
  • I'm personally quite excited that weed is now legal in California. I've never tried it because it was illegal but I've always wanted to see what it's like.

I like it.

Maybe I should do a Rym's Rant on the Patreon trying to describe what its like. It's difficult to describe succinctly. But, it is no greater in magnitude than alcohol.
  • edited November 2016
    I'd love to hear that, Rym. In the meantime, I can draw on my experience being a dumb lazy pothead for the better part of a decade! :D

Pot hits everyone a little differently, but the main effect is the endorphin release: stimuli are generally more pleasant, especially taste and touch. Most every thought that runs through your head is pushed a couple notches closer to "this is a good thing" than it would normally be. (I can only tolerate Enya and those pudding snack pack things under the influence, for example.) Like alcohol, you take a hit to being able to tell a good idea from a bad one, and your abilities are impaired, but there's no real loss of equilibrium or nausea. It's not uncommon to have an increase in libido, giggling fits, or paranoia, but those aren't universal and are usually specific to a person, and to a lesser extent the strain of cannabis. I've heard that extreme doses can cause mild hallucinations of things like geometric patterns, but I've never seen it.

The psychological effects are a little tougher to describe, but you're less able to focus, experiencing things more as a stream of consciousness, and most of the things that run through your head will slip away without being committed to memory; it's not unlike being able to shift your brain into idle for a few hours. It also messes with your ability to track time: that hour you spent reading the Wikipedia article on Jerry Garcia was actually five minutes.

You shouldn't medicate yourself with cannabis unless directed to by a doctor for obvious reasons, but it does act as a painkiller and antiemetic, so if you're already using it recreationally you could use it for those puposes. I can tell you with certainty that it will clear up nausea beautifully, but again, I'm not a medical doctor, and unless you are you should tread carefully with this kind of decision.

Hope that's helpful. (Jeez this ended up being a novel.) Also bear in mind that while THC is not technically habit-forming, you can end up psychologically dependent, especially if you have an addictive personality. If you can't use moderation, drugs are perhaps not for you.
    Post edited by Jaifriedpork on
  • The best food I ever ate I've eaten stoned. Remember Gamer Grub? That shit is the BOMB DIGGADY while high.
  • I've tried a few different strains that have affected me very differently.

There are some that gave me the same lowered inhibitions I might get while drunk, but without the dizziness, slurring, nausea, and equilibrium problems that come with drinking.

I've had another that JUST gave me the nausea. With very little of the rest. That one was no good.

My favorite just put me in a very chill, but also very chatty mood. I would love to find some more of that, and take it while recording a commentary track for some of my favorite movies. I think that could make for a really good podcast series.
  • It can open up your mind to whole new worlds of thinking, like understanding why Pink Floyd is a big deal.
  • I ate cannabis by accident earlier this year. It was a hot day in the middle of Summer and I noticed a piece of chocolate in the fridge. I was starving and had no idea it was laced.

I started feeling loopy around dinner time. I started hearing a low-pitched giggle in my head. My house started looking like my old childhood home; it was like I was reliving my childhood. I tried resting on my bed, and it didn't get any better. My throat was drying up. I went into my bathroom mirror; my tongue was turning white and I started looking pale. I was terrified. Was I dying?

I started drinking water and asked my parents to check me. I asked if my father could join me on a nice walk in the park, which we did (that usually helps to clear my head). Around halfway through our walk, my mother came out and informed us of what happened, since she noticed that the chocolate was opened. (It turns out my sister bought it for my mother to help ease her constant foot cramps.) After hearing that, I was relieved. We finished our walk and I went to bed for the night.

My experience with cannabis was the most terrifying I've ever had in my life. Never again.
  • edited November 2016
    Daikun said:

I ate cannabis by accident earlier this year. It was a hot day in the middle of Summer and I noticed a piece of chocolate in the fridge. I was starving and had no idea it was laced.

I started feeling loopy around dinner time. I started hearing a low-pitched giggle in my head. My house started looking like my old childhood home; it was like I was reliving my childhood. I tried resting on my bed, and it didn't get any better. My throat was drying up. I went into my bathroom mirror; my tongue was turning white and I started looking pale. I was terrified. Was I dying?

I started drinking water and asked my parents to check me. I asked if my father could join me on a nice walk in the park, which we did (that usually helps to clear my head). Around halfway through our walk, my mother came out and informed us of what happened, since she noticed that the chocolate was opened. (It turns out my sister bought it for my mother to help ease her constant foot cramps.) After hearing that, I was relieved. We finished our walk and I went to bed for the night.

My experience with cannabis was the most terrifying I've ever had in my life. Never again.

I've had one similar experience to that when I got way too high. It was also unintentional but way too intense. I'll say that if you get caught off guard like that and especially too much your first time can be very overwhelming. If you're completely against trying it again I totally understand. But I will say that if you start of slower and are aware of what is happening then it can be perfectly fine. It's the same as drinking way too much. The first time I really bought myself my own alcohol (actually someone else bought it) I drank way too much and that was the first and only time I've ever blacked out. I was profusely sick that night. It turned me off to drinking for quite a while. But then I realized how to pace myself and be conscious of how much I drank and it made it way more pleasant.

Additionally edibles tend to hit you way harder than inhaling. It's actually a variant on THC that your liver restructures as it processes the chemicals. It's a bit more psychedelic. One of the benefits of making marijuana legal is that these places that produce products are now under very strict regulations which means they have to actually be very deliberate in their measurements. It's not some dude just cooking up brownies with no regard for the process. I've actually been getting back into edibles recently as that was always my preferred method of consumption, however pre-legalization that tended to be way more time consuming and variable. Now I know if I have a 5mg candy generally how my body will react to that. Same as alcohol now. I know if I drink a bunch of bourbon I'm gonna get drunk really fast, and it's probably gonna be really unpleasant.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Marijuana is definitely a case-by-case basis type of deal. Some people feel chill and giggly, but others get fatigued and paranoid. I'd even say it varies a lot on how the Weed is delivered to your system. Bongs have given me the biggest and most positive feeling high, while I've felt very little to no effects through "baked" goods or joints. Having Marijuana baked into a confection gives people a more "body high" from what friends tell me, but you never know.

However, I don't recommend getting crossfaded (Drink + High). That's too much at once and gave me effects I can only described as similar to Locked In Syndrome.
  • There is another thing to consider there is more to cannabis than THC. CBD is another component which has its own benefits.

CBD effects:

Calmness
    Pain relief
    Gentle upbeat mood
    Mental and physical relaxation
    Clear-headed and focused, no change in cognitive function
    Slightly sedative