This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Conrad Kreyling

2»

Comments

• edited December 2012
    I don't think I can be further from GauntletWizard on this stuff. One of the reasons I've grown to love podcasts is that I can listen to people have intelligent discussion/debate, often on incredibly geeky topics like technology and video games. Things I don't get to have intelligent discussions about on a daily basis. I like to learn something when I listen and be able to recall it.

Let's tie this all back to the top of the page:
    What Matt said, Scott is always on about how there are so many awesome things to consume. I take it when he says to not listen to him to mean "Why listen to our shit when you have so many other things that you should be consuming?"
    I would like to expand this. Why consume two forms of entertainment at once, when there is likely a different show/movie/game/book that is so exceedingly good, it will command your undivided attention? Consume only the best.

Post edited by Matt on
  • How do I know what the best is?
  • edited December 2012
    I couldn't be further from Matt (well sorta). If I multitask with video games, it's because the game is geared towards that kind of play, usually a turn based strategy game. Has nothing to do with the quality of the game.

I listen to so many hours of podcasts you have to say something that reminds me or refer to one for me to specificly remember. For example I know I enjoyed Fast Karate for the Gentlemen, I have vague notions of what was being said, I remember cracking up but I can't tell you what they talked about 10 eps ago without referring back to the eps.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited December 2012
    I will admit that I do sometimes listen to podcasts for pure entertainment. Fast Karate is a good example. It's just a smaller slice of the pie for me than focused listening.
    How do I know what the best is?
    The age old question. We are constantly bombarded with suggestions from people to watch this, play this, etc. It has taken me years and years of experience to figure out who I trust, and to what extent. I have a handful of both friends and professional reviewers who I know won't steer me wrong.

Just try to give thought to what you really like and don't like about things, and how it was recommended to you.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • edited December 2012
    I know exactly who I listen to for what information, but there is also exploration of new ground. There are people who listen to my suggestions as readily as I listen to theirs. Both parties end up consuming some media/entertainment that isn't good. I just find Scott's argument to be a catch-22.
    Post edited by MATATAT on