This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mobile Games

Comments

• edited May 2013
    You mean the X that pops up right next to the checkmark when you choose an action? It cancels your current selected action and doesn't cost you an action. One weird thing is that its used more or leas interchangeably with a ">" looking icon, which would make me thing 'go forward' but its more of a cancel button. Also the undo button undoes an action you took + cofirmed (by hitting the check mark) as long as its still your turn. I'm not sure if you can undo exploring (which would eliminate any risk to doing so) but you can definitely undo building, moving, researching, etc. I kind of remember undoing an explore action tho now that I think about it...
    Post edited by johndis on
  • I am so behind on iOS board games. Gonna wait on getting Eclipse for a bit. Also, the Stone Age app looks really good and I still haven't picked it up. Agricola coming sooooooooooooon!!!
  • You mean the X that pops up right next to the checkmark when you choose an action? It cancels your current selected action and doesn't cost you an action. One weird thing is that its used more or leas interchangeably with a ">" looking icon, which would make me thing 'go forward' but its more of a cancel button. Also the undo button undoes an action you took + cofirmed (by hitting the check mark) as long as its still your turn. I'm not sure if you can undo exploring (which would eliminate any risk to doing so) but you can definitely undo building, moving, researching, etc. I kind of remember undoing an explore action tho now that I think about it...
    Ah, I never tried to hit the Undo button before the AI played a move. And it could be that I'm getting the "X" and ">" buttons mixed up. I just feel like there are times when "X" becomes "do nothing". The only example I can think of is at the end of a round, I had battled another player and took over their hex, so it gave me the option to colonize its planets. One of them was a neutral, so I picked a type, but wanted to switch my choice. Tapping the planet again didn't do anything, so I pressed the X thinking it would let me choose over again, but it just took it mean I didn't want to colonize any of them. At least, I'm pretty sure it was an X button, I'd need to play again to verify.
  • edited May 2013
    Ok cool I finally got all the rules straight in my brain again, anyone want to play an a-synch game? If anyone's already putting one together, add me!! Name is "reallyprettymad"
    Post edited by johndis on
  • Kingdom Rush Frontiers now available. This was one of my favorite tower defense games other than Plants Vs. Zombies.

Will be buying this and playing this during my pre-sleepytime routine. :D
  • Kingdom Rush Frontiers now available. This was one of my favorite tower defense games other than Plants Vs. Zombies.

Will be buying this and playing this during my pre-sleepytime routine. :D
    I was downloading it while you posted this.
  • edited June 2013
    I'll mainly be playing it on my iPad.

I've played through this game twice. It's such a solid tower defense. While it does have micro-transaction bullshit for extra stuff/easy mode, you don't need it to beat the game. The basic version can be beaten along with the challenges with no further transactions needed. I also found it better that way. The Heroes you can purchase are not fun, imo.

I wonder if I purchase the iPad version, if it will give me the iPhone version as well.

Overall, doesn't matter too much.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I'm incapable of enjoying tower defense games for some reason. I've tried a bunch and always just get so bored.
  • Ticket to Ride is now available on Android for $6.99.
  • Fuuuck, [Eclipse]'s out now. iPad only. $7.
    On sale for $5!
  • So, Hero Academy is FINALLY coming to Android within the next couple of weeks.
  • They announced XCOM a while ago. I'm excited, but probably not excited enough to buy it as soon as it's out.
  • They announced XCOM a while ago. I'm excited, but probably not excited enough to buy it as soon as it's out.
    I'm not going to buy it because I already have it on PC, and it's not really a mobile game. I'm just super surprised that it's a full port of the real deal.
  • iOS could easily be the sickest of mobile gaming platforms, especially for strategy, but there's not much money to be made in high production value games, so it just gets ports of stuff and casual to moderately-less-casual games. Also board games 8-)
  • I heard about this the other day. Level 5 releases "Layton Brothers" a spin-off of Professor Layton on the iOS.

It looks cool, but I probably won't be getting it anytime soon. You know, because my addiction to the crossing of animals is just too much.
  • edited July 2013
    In fact, it feels a lot like another series closely associated with the DS, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.
    Sold!
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I've been casually playing through the first two investigations which are free. I really like this game. It's not quite as compelling as a Phoenix Wright game but it kinda mixes the best part of that series (the courtroom) with an actual investigation. It's, as far as I can tell, penalty free which makes it kinda easy but the characters are definitely inspired by the odd ones of PW.
  • A bunch of otherwise expensive iOS apps are free today including Infinity Blade 2.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/8/4502810/ios-apps-and-games-go-free-five-years-after-app-store-launched
  • Gahhhhh they're giving out Traktor for free......
  • Yeah I'm definitely going to tinker with that.
  • It's incredibly good + well worth the 20 American dollars I paid for it.
  • Spaceteam is finally available for Android! Get it now!
  • edited July 2013
    Wish we could play it online. Could we use a VPN or something?
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • So I was completely unaware of Flappy Bird until today. I find the story attached to it to be utterly fascinating - how a man can go from this to this in 23 days, while making something like $50k a day.

It's been around since mid-2013, but I wonder what caused it gain so much traction and attention recently.
  • It's been around since mid-2013, but I wonder what caused it gain so much traction and attention recently.

Says he, posting a Reddit link.
  • It's an uncontrollable snowball effect: Flappy Bird is an awful "I should be able to be good at this, it's so simple!" feeling. If you were playing this in a void, you would say "oh never mind, the control and hit detection is shit, it's not worth is. Delete!". Instead, since it has a reputation as a hit game, you go in saying "I should be better than all of these other people!" The pride factor makes you keep playing the shit game because you know everyone else is already doing it. Do not fall for this trick!

In other news I played Threes and Elias Infinity. Both are very well executezd, very fun time wasters. But they are still time wasters. The best time wasters money can buy. That's all I have to say about the state of mobile gaming.
  • I played Threes. I'm not sure how much you can really influence your high score. Sure, if you just swipe randomly, your score is going to be garbage, but pretty much any strategy you have is going to fail if you get bad luck.

The way to stay safe and keep the game going for a long time is to keep the 1s and 2s coming in from the same direction into the same open area. If they get separated by a wall of 3s and 6s, they will never connect and become dead space on the board unless you can miraculously clean them up.

But to get a high score you have to get pieces of high matching values close to each other and then combine them.

A basic strategy I used was to try to only use down and left swipes. That way all the 1s and 2s will enter from the top and right, and be able to reach each other. The high numbers will build up in the bottom left. But eventually you will have to do an up or right swipe to get a big combination you need. But if a 1 or 2 happens to be the next entry piece, it is very dangerous. That will create a dead spot. If you were lucky and the next entry piece happened to be a 3, you could have pulled it off.

The high score seems to depend on the luck of how often these catch-22 situations happen where you can either bring in the new piece in a good location OR move the existing pieces in a good direction. There's just no way to always do both.
  • I play Candy Crush Saga on my phone when I have a few minutes of down time. I am currently stuck on level 498 and I think I am stuck because of bad game design.

It is one of the "drop the ingredients" levels and the final ingredient either never appears or appears on the last move. I often get the first three down and have 20 moves left yet the final piece never shows up. There does not appear to me any ryhme or reason to how the ingredients drop but it does seem like the game is purposely stopping me from passing this level.
  • Threes: Scott, I use that tactic as well, the corner sweeping. I think that the real skill of the game comes from knowing when and how to do your "combination" matching. You always do it when there is a white piece coming up next. This will give you a 3 in your "dead spot", You will need need to do it again shortly to create a 6, then a 12 then you can probably assimilate that piece into your grid shortly after that.

But yeah, it's still pretty luck based on what comes your way.