This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iTunes error with podcast, strange podcast lengths

edited December 2012 in Everything Else
For some reason, some of the recent podcasts have reported lengths of 4+hrs in iTunes. They just repeat after they end. Anyone getting this error?

Comments

• I had that recently.
  • edited December 2012
    It's not just on iTunes. It also happens with this very website.

I've tried downloading the last few episodes to my Desktop. When I moused over them to read the length, the metadata says they're 10 minutes longer than they actually are.

Post edited by Daikun on
  • Yes I have been getting this.
  • edited December 2012
    I've also been seeing this. Some episodes ~4 hours long, others that don't even have a length.
    Post edited by Reol on
  • I believe they mentioned the cause on some episode. I think it has to do with how the manage the ID3 tags on their end.
  • If you subscribed to the newsletter, you'd know the score.
  • Thanks, Dromaro.
  • There are three issues at play (assuming we keep using VBR):

1. Many players won't correctly calculate the length of a VBR mp3 and must rely on an id3v2 tag to tell them.

2. Shit-tacular players won't read that tag even if we put it in (they can only read id3v1) and will never show the correct length no matter what we do.

3. Extra shit-tacular players can't FF or RW VBR mp3s due to their shit-tacular non-adherence to the mp3 spec.

4. Spectacularly shit-tacular players can't play VBR mp3s at all.

-----

We pretty-much only plan to address #1.
  • The category of players that won't properly calculate the length of a VBR mp3 seems to include the iOS podcast app, so it's definitely a very significant problem.
  • The category of players that won't properly calculate the length of a VBR mp3 seems to include the iOS podcast app, so it's definitely a very significant problem.
    Works for me. It's very weird.
  • edited December 2012
    The category of players that won't properly calculate the length of a VBR mp3 seems to include the iOS podcast app, so it's definitely a very significant problem.
    My iPhone is showing "Off the Grid Geeks" as being 4:27:59 and that's the core music app, not the podcast app.

Post edited by InvaderREN on
    My iPhone is showing "Off the Grid Geeks" as being 4:27:59 and that's the core music app, not the podcast app.

How did you download it? Did you download it in iTunes and then sync, or did you download directly on the phone? Did you sync with a wire or wifi? What versions of iTunes/iOS are you using? What OS is on your computer?

How did you download it? Did you download it in iTunes and then sync, or did you download directly on the phone? Did you sync with a wire or wifi? What versions of iTunes/iOS are you using? What OS is on your computer?

ALSO A NEW CHALLENGER HAS ENTERED THE BUILDING

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4772888

It may be that the MP3 encoder built into Audition is just shitty! Wouldn't be the first time they fucked something like this up. The solution here would be to use LAME instead of whatever Audition uses. Either we could get a LAME plugin for Audition, or Rym can export a wav from Audition and use LAME separately. I doubt he will put in the effort if he has to do that because he's too lazy to even do a Google search.

I could actually change the web site so that Rym would upload a wav, and LAME would happen on the server, but we don't have hard drive space for all that.
  • edited December 2012
    That episode was 4+hours for me when downloading it over wifi on my iPod Touch.

Edit: You'd think something like Audition would be capable of exporting mp3s properly, wouldn't you? Imagine if the newest Photoshop exported JPEGs that didn't render properly in Google Chrome or something.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • On my PC running iTunes, I downloaded it via iTunes and it's showing a length of 4h14m06s. On my iPhone, downloaded via the podcast app, it shows a length of 1h32m37s. When downloaded via Safari using the "Download now" link on the site, it shows 1h53m13s.
    Because of the "Off the Grid Geeks" episode I stopped being a lurker. So I am branching and creating stuff. I am now subscribed to the newsletter also.
    Because of the "Off the Grid Geeks" episode I stopped being a lurker. So I am branching and creating stuff. I am now subscribed to the newsletter also.
    What are you creating?
  • Off the Grid Geeks:

Itunes showing: 4:28
    iPhone running latest OS, and synced over cable: 4:27:59.

Internet Governance: iTunes - 4:15
    iPhone: 4:14:06
    What are you creating?
    I have no idea, I am a lurker. I might be doing this wrong. I did create this topic. Does that count?
  • Do you make cool things?
  • Probably not.
  • Probably not.
    S'okay, baby steps, dude. Or lady, dunno. Just showing up is enough for now.
  • Probably not.
    Lurking - just reading, listening, watching, consuming.

You are here -> Participating - You are also talking to other people!

Creating - You make things that other people consume. Audio, video, books, crafts, arts, programs, photos, anything.
  • I'd hate to think that people consume the things Nuri makes.
  • What are you creating?

I "acquired" Photoshop last night and made this for a Diablo 3 group of which I am a part.

Baby steps, amirite?
  • What are you creating?

I "acquired" Photoshop last night and made this for a Diablo 3 group of which I am a part.

Baby steps, amirite?
    You rite.
  • People without avatars: Get avatars so I can tell you apart :P
  • But don't get a pony avatar, so I can tell you apart.
  • GeekNights 20130124 - Parking 4:21:07 25/01/2013 59.9 MB

Is this podcast really over four hours long?
  • Hey guys:

enclosure url="http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/GeekNights/~5/iXvnKuy9bNo/20130124.mp3" length="0" type="audio/mpeg"

That length="0" is the problem in your RSS feed. Change that to the length of the podcast and it will show up right everywhere.