This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

All Episodes Archive Feed

edited December 2012 in GeekNights
I ran out of episodes in the regular and legacy feeds. I'm interested in listening to all the rest of the episodes. I usually listen on my phone, so if I'm streaming from the search page, it will play, but none of the players I've used will keep my place. I also really prefer using a podcatcher so a new episode will start up if I'm driving to work or whatever.

I assumed there wasn't an RSS feed of all the episodes from before I started listening, so I made one. Kind of. I generated the XML with a perl script and uploaded it to Google Docs. Seems to be working well so far.

If you want to use it, you can put this url into Google Reader or your podcatcher:
https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B0U0AKJLROGEQXZMV0FwQU1QVXM

I probably won't update it often, if ever.

Comments

• We used to have a feed for every show that went much further back into the past, but iTunes delisted them as duplicates, and I don't know if we still even maintain them.

The problem we always had was that many RSS tools can't handle a feed with more than 100 or so entries: GeekNights is pushing a thousand. ;^)

That, however, is a Cool Thing (tm) that you have done.
  • Cool there were some old episodes that I wanted to go back and get but didn't show up, cheers.
  • Seriously. You're my hero, lalanl.

• Be sure to let me know if any are, for lack of a better term, fucked. Libsyn corrupted some old episodes when they were archived.
  • edited December 2012
    Be sure to let me know if any are, for lack of a better term, fucked. Libsyn corrupted some old episodes when they were archived.
    I will! What's the best way to give you that info?
    Seriously. You're my hero, lalanl.

Aww, thank you. :)

Here's the script if anyone wants to do something with it. The output requires a little bit of manual editing (episode names with apostrophes don't decode correctly, so those lines are malformed). You'll probably see much better Perl out there, too, but suggestions are welcome.
    Post edited by lalanl on
  • Perl! It burns us, precious.
  • I fixed my script. This version prints correct XML. I noticed some of the episodes were missing titles, so I uploaded a new revision of the file with the names intact.
  • You two should put her on the pay roll.
  • Is there any chance that someone could host the file and link it directly? I can't put the Google Docs link into Zune software to get it work, nor can I put in the downloaded file in as a valid podcast.
  • Is there any chance that someone could host the file and link it directly?
    Sure! http://devonbaumgarten.com/fakerss/AllGeeknightsRss.xml

I wonder why Zune doesn't work with it.
  • Thanks for that!
  • You're welcome! Let me know if you have any problems with it.
  • I used to think that there was no limit to how far back Zune would go on RSS feeds but I think I've finally found the limit. Fast Karate's feed now only goes back to 11/2/2005, the episode titled Beatcast, and now that I've plugged in this feed, it goes to the Natural Selection episode, which is from August of 2007. It's not a problem on your end, it's a limitation of the software, but it's a heck of a lot better than iTunes.
  • Is anyone interested in an update to this? I've been keeping up and have worked through a whole bunch of these, but I think there's a gap between this and the official feed now.