This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - Winter Anime 2012-2013

Comments

• Is it better than KO Century Beast, which is a similar level of parody? ;^)
  • Isn't Naga also used for a degree of fanservice as well, despite her ridiculous bust? Doesn't a punch in the face still feel the same, even if the puncher says he was just joking?

And does that mean that shows like Junjou Romantica, Princess Princess, Sukisho... Hell, most BL shows with few female characters are automatically good shows because of your law of averages?

And also, are you counting Mahou Tsukai Tai and Gurren Lagann (though it might have the same caveat Neito has with Gunbuster) with your assessment of "most shows like that"?

You're moving the goalposts here, Rym.
  • Is it better than KO Century Beast, which is a similar level of parody? ;^)
    No, it's dead serious. It's just so over the top it seems like a parody.

• No, there are diamonds in every rough.

There are also different types of "fanservice" boobs. Do I need to do a panel at Anime Boston comparing the shapes of various breasts to the quality of the shows wherein they appear?

The show we're talking about already didn't look good. Not looking good, coupled with the character designs, means it's not worth looking at unless there's substantial evidence to the contrary.

One judges anime by its cover by default. If evidence arises warranting a look beyond the cover, so be it. But on average? A show with that particular kind of "large breast" coupled with young looking character designs? The odds are so low that it's going to be good it's not worth even looking at.
  • Abenobashi was, in my opinion, pretty boring. I also have little tolerance for pandering fanservice.
    8-year-old Greg watching it with his mom had even less. Season one was a solid B parody, assuming my memory is trustworthy.
  • If this is true, then why say that most anime with large breasted females are bad? Is there some kind of quota or what? Why single out breast size?

This isn't an argument are the quality of Da Capo 3. We already know that it's not going to be any good, or at least appealing to any of us. This is just questioning your criteria for judging the quality of an anime or not, even if it's by reading a single chart.
  • If this is true, then why say that most anime with large breasted females are bad? Is there some kind of quota or what? Why single out breast size?
    Did you listen to the show?

It's not just that it's large. It's in this particular shape that seems common to shit anime. It's also near the center of the frame and clearly a focal point. Senran Kagura has similar breasts and looks similarly shitty.

• Did you listen to the show?

It's not just that it's large. It's in this particular shape that seems common to shit anime. It's also near the center of the frame and clearly a focal point. Senran Kagura has similar breasts and looks similarly shitty.

Ugh. First of all, that's a crop from a larger image of a group. In the original image, the breasts aren't as central to the frame, and the character the breasts belong to are on the outside of the image.

And second, Senren Kagura's picture on that chart is also cropped from the original image, possibly to get in the girl showing Absolute Cleavage.

And third, like I said, there are characters from good anime who have similarly shaped breasts, so it's common in good anime too.

Ugh. First of all, that's a crop from a larger image of a group. In the original image, the breasts aren't as central to the frame, and the character the breasts belong to are on the outside of the image.

And second, Senren Kagura's picture on that chart is also cropped from the original image, possibly to get in the girl showing Absolute Cleavage.

And third, like I said, there are characters from good anime who have similarly shaped breasts, so it's common in good anime too.
    Go make a tally of all the anime with cheesecake unrealistically large tits. Now count what percentage are good. Case closed.

Go make a tally of all the anime with cheesecake unrealistically large tits. Now count what percentage are good. Case closed.
    Do I have to run my list by you after I'm done collecting data?

Your defensiveness leads us to assume you like perverted shows. You would get more respect just admitting it.

Your defensiveness leads us to assume you like perverted shows. You would get more respect just admitting it.
    When did I ever say I didn't?

Your argument is like telling somebody to try and gauge the good-bad ratio of anime with at least one character who is a muscular male, or finding good anime with a red car. It's not proving your point to me that your snap judgement of a show's quality is in any way valid. ESPECIALLY when you immediately go back on it when talking about Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, and the breasts of the female lead.
  • edited December 2012
    I think it's important to note here that we're talking about a matter of correlation rather than causation.

As a side note, based on the same information as Scrym used, I suspect that they were off on their judgement of Minami-ke; that's the main one I thought they might have gotten wrong, although statistics alone suggest they'll be wrong on a few of the others as well.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I think it's important to note here that we're talking about a matter of correlation rather than causation.

As a side note, based on the same information as Scrym used, I suspect that they were off on their judgement of Minami-ke; that's the main one I thought they might have gotten wrong, although statistics alone suggest they'll be wrong on a few of the others as well.
    They definitely are off. It's more of a slice of life comedy than a fanservicey harem show.
  • edited December 2012
    Evangelion has horrible fanservice.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Evangelion has horrible fanservice.
    You clearly have not watched much truly fanservicey anime. Cherish this and keep it that way.
    No one ever said that shows with fanservice or boobs are automatically bad. There are such shows that do not suck, but they are a rare exception. We were prejudging shows based solely on an image, a title, and a few sentences of text. It would be foolish to bet that any show on the list would be that rare exception.

Also, consider this. Think about the shows that have fanservice or cheesecake, but do not suck. These shows merely have the fanservice, and are not defined by it. If you had to pick just one promotional image for Evangelion, would there be fanservice in it, or would it be robots? If you had to pick just one promotional image for Slayers, would it be Naga's melons, or would it be swords and sorcery? The fact that the balloon tits are in the promotional image not only lets you know they are in the show, but they are the core of the show. Thus there is an even greater likelihood that the show is not going to be that rare exception, and our prejudice is justified.
    You clearly have not watched much truly fanservicey anime. Cherish this and keep it that way.
    Also this. Do not watch Kiss X Sis, Chu-Bra, etc. They are the worst I have seen.
    I think my eyes just rolled out of their sockets.
  • RymRym
    edited December 2012
    Ugh. First of all, that's a crop from a larger image of a group.
    And the person who cropped it decided it was important to the show: this person does not appear wrong, and we judged the show based entirely on the image. Senran Kagura is probably just as dumb of a show.

Post edited by Rym on
  • RymRym
    edited December 2012
    Your argument is like telling somebody to try and gauge the good-bad ratio of anime with at least one character who is a muscular male, or finding good anime with a red car.
    There isn't endemic sexism toward muscular men or men in general in anime (or really any media) compared to the level of this toward women.

Let's take a different tack. Remember those pathetic Starfire breasts in a certain recent DC comic book? The same correlation for that sort of cheesecake breast exists in underwear pervert comics as in anime.

Sure, there are few, rare exceptions, many of which themselves are using it for genre parody, but on average, if there are cheesecake breasts of significant focus in a comic book, it's probably a shit comic book.
    It's not proving your point to me that your snap judgement of a show's quality is in any way valid. ESPECIALLY when you immediately go back on it when talking about Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, and the breasts of the female lead.
    You mean the ones that, in the one image used to "review" the show, were relatively tastefully constrained by clothing and not the focus of the image? The ones that are simply large, but not stupidly so?

That show might be bad, but it doesn't look like it will be much worse than the Spice and Wolf level of creepy fanservice. Definitely not enough to warrant being called out on it like the other two "boob shows" on the chart. If you can't see a difference in the level of creepiness between these two portrayals, then god have mercy on your forever alone soul. ;^)

Post edited by Rym on
  • edited December 2012
    Your argument is like telling somebody to try and gauge the good-bad ratio of anime with at least one character who is a muscular male, or finding good anime with a red car.
    There isn't endemic sexism toward muscular men or men in general in anime (or really any media) compared to the level of this toward women.

Let's take a different tack. Remember those pathetic Starfire breasts in a certain recent DC comic book? The same correlation for that sort of cheesecake breast exists in underwear pervert comics as in anime.

Sure, there are few, rare exceptions, many of which themselves are using it for genre parody, but on average, if there are cheesecake breasts of significant focus in a comic book, it's probably a shit comic book.
    I wasn't using those examples as an attempt to point towards sexism towards men, and you damn well know it. You're defending the wrong argument here. My complaint isn't that you're attacking the usage of shameless fanservice, it's that you're using arbitrary reasoning and mass generalisation to defend your snap judgement of a show based on a picture.

Also, nice work on marginalising superhero comics as well with the "underwear pervert" moniker, there.
    It's not proving your point to me that your snap judgement of a show's quality is in any way valid. ESPECIALLY when you immediately go back on it when talking about Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, and the breasts of the female lead.
    You mean the ones that, in the one image used to "review" the show, were relatively tastefully constrained by clothing and not the focus of the image? The ones that are simply large, but not stupidly so?

That show might be bad, but it doesn't look like it will be much worse than the Spice and Wolf level of creepy fanservice. Definitely not enough to warrant being called out on it like the other two "boob shows" on the chart. If you can't see a difference in the level of creepiness between these two portrayals, then god have mercy on your forever alone soul. ;^)

Once again, you've managed to misconstrue my criticism in order to support your own bullshit reasoning: how is a plunging neckline that exposes a good amount of cleavage "tastefully constrained?" How do you know that Da Capo III will be full of creepy fanservice, on the level of KissXsis?

Answer: You don't.

If you think that your hypocrisy can be supported simply because I'm calling you out on your bullshit criticism of something as mediocre as Da Capo III, then you should maybe turn off Anime World Order and listen to somebody other than Daryl Surat.
    Post edited by Robert on

• If you think that your hypocrisy can be supported simply because I'm calling you out on your bullshit criticism of something as mediocre as Da Capo III, then you should maybe turn off Anime World Order and listen to somebody other than Daryl Surat.
    Wait, what?

• edited December 2012

If you think that your hypocrisy can be supported simply because I'm calling you out on your bullshit criticism of something as mediocre as Da Capo III, then you should maybe turn off Anime World Order and listen to somebody other than Daryl Surat.
    Wait, what?

Ugh, maybe that was a little strong...

EDIT: Daryl was mentioned at the beginning of the review, that's why I mentioned him. My point still stands, though.
    Post edited by Robert on
  • edited December 2012
    I wasn't using those examples as an attempt to point towards sexism towards men, and you damn well know it. You're defending the wrong argument here. My complaint isn't that you're attacking the usage of shameless fanservice, it's that you're using arbitrary reasoning and mass generalisation to defend your snap judgement of a show based on a picture.
    You might have a point if they were maintaining their snap judgement in the face of contrary evidence, but that isn't the case.
    Once again, you've managed to misconstrue my criticism in order to support your own bullshit reasoning: how is a plunging neckline that exposes a good amount of cleavage "tastefully constrained?"
    Rym did say "relatively tastefully constrained"; after all, by anime standards it is.
    How do you know that Da Capo III will be full of creepy fanservice, on the level of KissXsis?
    He doesn't, and I don't think he claimed it would be on the level of KissXsis (which I am currently ignorant of; I intend to keep it that way).

What Rym is saying is that there is a high probability that Da Capo III is not a good show, and hence it is not worth any more of his time than the cursory glance he gave it unless and until Rym is presented evidence to the contrary.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I wasn't using those examples as an attempt to point towards sexism towards men, and you damn well know it. You're defending the wrong argument here. My complaint isn't that you're attacking the usage of shameless fanservice, it's that you're using arbitrary reasoning and mass generalisation to defend your snap judgement of a show based on a picture.
    You might have a point if they were maintaining their snap judgement in the face of contrary evidence, but that isn't the case.
    Once again, you've managed to misconstrue my criticism in order to support your own bullshit reasoning: how is a plunging neckline that exposes a good amount of cleavage "tastefully constrained?"
    Rym did say "relatively tastefully constrained"; after all, by anime standards it is.
    How do you know that Da Capo III will be full of creepy fanservice, on the level of KissXsis?
    He doesn't, and I don't think he claimed it would be on the level of KissXsis (which I am currently ignorant of; I intend to keep it that way).

What Rym is saying is that there is a high probability that Da Capo III is not a good show, and hence it is not worth any more of his time than the cursory glance he gave it unless and until Rym is presented evidence to the contrary.
    So is the point that I've raised -- that Rym's claim that only Slayers is a good anime with breasts like the ones in the Da Capo picture is unfounded and easily refuted -- invalidated by the fact that Scrym still thought Da Capo III was a bad show? I'm not interested in this series at all, I'm trying to prove their blanket statement about titties of animated characters wrong.
  • edited December 2012
    Robert I think your taking it a bit too seriously. The episode really was just a quick judgement of a picture and caption. You have to look at it from the point of view of the reviewer instead of your own. I assume from previous statement anime watching isn't a priority for Scrim and the shows they disliked are not within their interests. Since time is a precious resource if the artwork isn't too their liking or the description looks cookie cutter it would be a negative.

Also with most series you can make a good judgment on certain shows due to the artwork. You see animation by studios that work on moe shows and a generalization can be made about the shows quality. With all the shows that come out each season I have to make a similar decision myself. I just don't have the time to preview each one.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • edited December 2012
    Slayers is a good anime
    This is moreso the part of their argument that I can't wrap my head around ^_~
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Slayers is a good anime
    This is moreso the part of their argument that I can't wrap my head around ^_~
    You don't like SLAYERS?

• edited December 2012

So is the point that I've raised -- that Rym's claim that only Slayers is a good anime with breasts like the ones in the Da Capo picture is unfounded and easily refuted -- invalidated by the fact that Scrym still thought Da Capo III was a bad show? I'm not interested in this series at all, I'm trying to prove their blanket statement about titties of animated characters wrong.
    Person who can't admit they like kinda crappy shows detected.

That said, you clearly can't understand what an exaggeration is. Rym was making a joke based on the prevalence of breasts to make up for weak characterization and plot.
    Post edited by Neito on