This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - Winter Anime 2012-2013

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Robert I think your taking it a bit too seriously.
    This. It's pretty clearly a hyperbolic statement.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • edited December 2012
    As a side note, based on the same information as Scrym used, I suspect that they were off on their judgement of Minami-ke; that's the main one I thought they might have gotten wrong, although statistics alone suggest they'll be wrong on a few of the others as well.
    New Minami-ke season is made by yet another studio. First one was good from what I've heard, then it went crappy on studio switch.
    Do not watch Kiss X Sis, Chu-Bra, etc. They are the worst I have seen.
    Dear god, Captain Obvious amazes me. What the fuck happened that you watched even one episode of both of those? Dear fucking lord.
    You might have a point if they were maintaining their snap judgement in the face of contrary evidence, but that isn't the case.
    Instead they personally attack him when he confronts the stupidity of the request made to gather said 'evidence'. If he were to gather a list of anime with big tits and claim it has less than 90% shit, Scrym'll just bring out the elitist snobbery and tell him he has shit taste, because there's totally such a thing as good and bad with non-harmful opinions.
    How do you know that Da Capo III will be full of creepy fanservice, on the level of KissXsis?
    By having prior knowledge of DC1 and 2? Since Apreche apparently watched Kiss x Siss & Chubra, who knows what kind of horrible shit Rym watched, maybe Da Capo. I for one don't know.

Just go and watch all the shows they sounded negative about (and positive), then relisten to the show and laugh your ass off at every Tits McGee not shown in those cropped images.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Person who can't admit they like kinda crappy shows detected.

That said, you clearly can't understand what an exaggeration is. Rym was making a joke based on the prevalence of breasts to make up for weak characterization and plot.
    Wondering where you got the feeling I can't admit I like crappy shows. I liked Lucky Star and some of OreImo, isn't that enough?
  • edited December 2012
    Wait, Lucky Star is crappy? Why didn't anyone tell me this earlier!?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on

That said, you clearly can't understand what an exaggeration is. Rym was making a joke based on the prevalence of breasts to make up for weak characterization and plot.
    Wondering where you got the feeling I can't admit I like crappy shows. I liked Lucky Star and some of OreImo, isn't that enough?
    What I mean is that you can't admit that some of the shows that you find entertaining are objectively pretty bad.

What I mean is that you can't admit that some of the shows that you find entertaining are objectively pretty bad.
    It's pretty much my entire shtick with manga, to the point where the vast, vast majority of things I read are just simply fucking terrible. I find joy in digging out the joyous, wonderful things, that which is so bad or weird that it's fantastic, or the strange little nuggets of wonderful that lie beneath the surface, like a penny dreadful written by Hemingway.

What did you even get from what I was trying to say?
  • Pretty much all of it. You're spending far more energy than is reasonable for someone who can admit their favorite thing isn't awesome. This isn't my first time to the anime debate rodeo.
  • Pretty much all of it. You're spending far more energy than is reasonable for someone who can admit their favorite thing isn't awesome. This isn't my first time to the anime debate rodeo.
    So basically, you've ignored all the times that I've pointed out that I like bad anime to reinforce your own opinion. Thanks for that.
  • On a completely different topic: if you liked the Honest Trailer for TDKR, check out the Red Letter Media guys' outtakes from that video.

• edited January 2013
    So we should come back once the stuff started airing, right?
    Can we say that Scrym's statements on this show were correct?
  • Just on this show, probably.
  • edited January 2013
    Which show is that? We should get the chart and see how well we scored. Let's turn it into a game for next season. Everyone get the chart and make predictions, then we see who got the most right.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Da Capo III, apparently.
  • Which show is that? We should get the chart and see how well we scored. Let's turn it into a game for next season. Everyone get the chart and make predictions, then we see who got the most right.
    That would require that everyone would have to watch all of the shows. Is that really something you would be willing to do? Because I'm not and I have almost infinite amount of free time.

• You all should watch some Maoyuu. It's got...

And...

A winning combination, if there ever was one.
  • IM SOLD.
  • An anime that's serious about economics would be pretty great.
    If that were to come to fruition, I would believe there was an actual conspiracy to make me and my dad very happy.
  • Which show is that? We should get the chart and see how well we scored. Let's turn it into a game for next season. Everyone get the chart and make predictions, then we see who got the most right.
    Who will go and see who got the most right? "We" as in Rym and yourself? I would enjoy that. I'm not going to watch everything myself, I mean, I'm not even watching stuff I already know is bad. I just steal stitched screenshots.
    Who will go and see who got the most right? "We" as in Rym and yourself? I would enjoy that. I'm not going to watch everything myself, I mean, I'm not even watching stuff I already know is bad. I just steal stitched screenshots.
    None of us want to watch all the shows. Maybe we can just read reviews from ANN, Otaku USA, etc. and let those be the decider.
  • edited January 2013
    An anime that's serious about economics would be pretty great.
    If that were to come to fruition, I would believe there was an actual conspiracy to make me and my dad very happy.
    I thought Spice and Wolf was all about economics(and fox girls)

Post edited by Hitman Hart on

I haven't seen it, but from what I can gather it's about mercantile economics. I was thinking more along the lines of a melodrama about a corrupt banking executive; like Madmen, but animated, and instead of advertising Don Draper exploits the proletariat.

• edited January 2013
    So... Boku-no-imoutowa"Osaka-okan". Not bad, I laughed at least. Although maybe I might like it more if I understood the culture more.

I'll admit that I enjoyed watching the first four Da Capo series (DC 1&2 were broken up into two seasons each), so I checked it out. It's one of those "many freakin' years after the events of the previous series" kind of show and it was "meh" (I don't think I remember the past ones having this much fanservice, especially in the first couple minutes, which is where that above screencap was taken from. Yeah yeah, I know what the series origins were).

I really enjoyed Chihaiyafuru's first season. The characters are interesting, and the way they describe the game of Karuta made it sound interesting and the meaning of the poems...[ends in rambling.] So the second season is a no brainer. I'm trying to recommend this series to as many people as I can.

The origins of how Maoyuu was created was interesting I thought, so I gotta set some time aside to check it out.

I remember Minami-ke as a show about "nothing". I liked the first season, but yeah the studio shift did drop the quality of the show for seasons two and three. Haven't seen the fourth yet.

Don't make me pull out some of the bizarre things I found out about Senran Kagura.
    Post edited by omegafinal on
  • None of us want to watch all the shows. Maybe we can just read reviews from ANN, Otaku USA, etc. and let those be the decider.
    Then it becomes even more a game of "who can predict the tastes of the reviewer is covering the show".
    An anime that's serious about economics would be pretty great.
    Spice & Wolf is micro-economics. Maoyuu is supposedly macro-economics, but has a far less interesting main female lead thus far. Harvest goddess > demon queen.
  • We need to take the US currency back to the Harem Standard.
  • ♫ If I could turn back time ♫ I would drink some milk ♫ and then I'd read that comment ♫ aa-haand milk would spraaaaaay~
  • Wow Tamako Market...you guys really should give it a go. I haven't laughed so hard due to the strengths of a single character in such a long time when it comes to anime. Great production values, interesting and zanny cast of characters with not a hint of fanservice. At this point it's a surprise win for me, ill stick around for more.
  • edited January 2013
    not a hint of fanservice
    Did we watch the same show? Not that good a first episode if you ask me, a bad/unfleshed supporting cast that all react the same way? Feels a bit like they put too much eggs in their main moeblob basket. The bird was just bad and annoying, too forced I should say. Let's hope episode two spends more than three seconds on the whole supporting cast combined. I did like hearing Moyashimon's professor Itsuki in the grandfather.

tl;dr Kyoani's K-ON team in charge of writing moeblobs instead of just animating them, we'll see what happens. Also, where's that freaking tophat? Best part of the show is only in the OP?
  • Moeblobs is just a funny word.