This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Needs More Gay

edited December 2012 in Everything Else
So, there's this online show called Needs More Gay and I am in love with it.

You think from the title it's some yaoi show or a show that it about adding gay to anything. For the latter, a bit, but it's more about analyzing media from a gay perspective, gay media and is funny while doing so. I think some of these episodes are relevant to some of you forumites interests.

Magical Girls Needs More Gay
Takashi Miike Needs More Gay
Why Straight Guys Love My Little Pony aka Bronies Needs More Gay
Superheroes Need More Gay

Comments

• Adding a gay undertone does improve most shows entertainment value.
  • Good stuff. I especially liked Magical Girls Needs More Gay. Also, he's convinced me to put The Happiness of the Katakuris at the top of my Netflix queue.
  • I loved the Synthpop Needs More Gay. Especially since that type of music was my jam for awhile.
  • I'm watching Magical Girls, and this is a very good show. That being said...

..."Japanophiles."
  • edited December 2012
    Seems like an interesting concept for a web-show. *jumpcut* I just watched the Magical Girls one *jumpcut* and, *jumpcut* it had it's moments. *jumpcut* I've never seen Sailor Moon *jumpcut* but I have a friend who claims to like it a lot. *jumpcut* I need to track down a *jumpcut* recording of *jumpcut* one of *jumpcut* those *jumpcut* musical *jumpcut* prod*jumpcut*uctions. Seems like fu*jumpcut*n.

*jumpcut*
    Post edited by P_TOG on
  • That annoyed you too, *jumpcut* huh?
  • Magical Girls Need More Gay? Even more? They're all already filled with closet lesbians, if you add any more they would introduce themselves as "Hi, I'm Homura and I want to have sex with Madoka."
  • Needs more jumpcut.
  • That "style" of video on the net recently seems to stem from a simple cause:

1. The people making them aren't experienced doing live content and require heavy editing.

2. Their content is driven heavily by simple spoken word.

3. Their content is heavily scripted.

4. They edit the spoken word portions the way one edits audio.

So kids: learn how to speak for more than two sentences at a time without needing to stop. Also, learn how to speak naturally and without a tight script OR learn how to memorize a script in whole.
  • I never really notice the heavy jumpcuts, probably because I'm used to it and that's just what I expect from these kinds of videos at this point.
  • I don't *jumpcut* mind the *jumpcut* editing style. The problem I *jumpcut* have is that the *jumpcut* content is superficial *jumpcut* queer theory. *jumpcut* Anyone who spends more than *jumpcut* five minutes with a *jumpcut* liberal arts major from the *jumpcut* last 20 years already *jumpcut* knows this stuff.
    So kids: learn how to speak for more than two sentences at a time without needing to stop. Also, learn how to speak naturally and without a tight script OR learn how to memorize a script in whole.
    At my school, we have what is called "declamation," where kids from 7th-10th grades have to look like they memorized a speech or monologue and recite it in front of their class. Whether or not one must actually memorize it depends on what teacher they have and how good at keeping the teachers attention the student is. The way most teachers implement it, it's fairly useless, because they take off points if you use the wrong article and similarly meaningless mistakes, but it can teach this skill.
  • I don't *jumpcut* mind the *jumpcut* editing style. The problem I *jumpcut* have is that the *jumpcut* content is superficial *jumpcut* queer theory. *jumpcut* Anyone who spends more than *jumpcut* five minutes with a *jumpcut* liberal arts major from the *jumpcut* last 20 years already *jumpcut* knows this stuff.
    I would argue the use for that would be for people who haven't. Not everyone studies this stuff or knows people who do, and so not everyone knows the basics. I myself didn't know a lot of the basics of formal queer theory despite being bi and being in film studies, and watching this show at the very least sent me to Wikipedia searches about New Queer Cinema and such. Also, it can just be kind of fun to hear a particular filter applied to different specific titles or topics.

So it may be a trifle, but the show can still at least claim to be a fun, quick way to get an overview of queer theory while also playing the Woo! Game. And the Woo! Game is a harmless enough game to play in five-minute bursts, which these are, so it's fine by me.

Lastly, I just enjoy Rantasmo's disposition and delivery (jump cuts or none). Personal taste, but there you go. :)