This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

NVIDIA Project Shield

edited January 2013 in Video Games
http://shield.nvidia.com/

It looks really stupid, but some of the features are pretty awesome like streaming Steam games from your desktop.
Post edited by Apreche on

Comments

• Despite the disaster that was last night's nVidia keynote, I kinda want this thing. Maybe it can give Android gaming the jolt it needs.

Also: Not that Ouya ever had a chance, but now it's officially fucked.
  • Also: Not that Ouya ever had a chance, but now it's officially fucked.
    Welp, someone should've told my department, because one of my teachers and several students are trying to get an Ouya class off the ground. XP
  • edited January 2013
    It would be a much better use of your colleagues' time to just learn standard phone/tablet Android game development instead if they don't already know it.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • I think it may have been an Android/Ouya class, not just Ouya, but I don't remember. And I know we already have Android classes...I just think this was more game-specific rather than being generalized development.
  • There are presently no general Android development courses at RIT, unfortunately. They're planning on it for semesters (i.e., next year), but nothing right now - I'm taking an independent study in it next quarter.
  • Ah. Well, I know IGM is trying to get stuff going with that. Teacher in my class right now just got his Ouya dev console, apparently.
  • edited January 2013
    Shield is the dumbest name ever. Also I'm not sure this will beat out ouya (even though I don't like it) because I think it still requires a good gaming pc and I'm not sure what your tv will need. It's a sweet idea to be sure but it has to have a lot of factors in place for it to work it seems like.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited January 2013
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • Wow! Something I am less interested in buying than the WiiU!
  • Something similar that is a box to go under the TV and doesn't need an nVidia GTX to Stream things would be worth having.
  • Wow! Something I am less interested in buying than the WiiU!
    I dunno mang, streaming games from Steam would be pretty sweet.
  • The thing outputs HDMI and can perform HD media streaming. It's essentially a mobile HTPC w. a controller built-in. "Mobile gaming platform" aside, it's a really fucking cool consumer electronic device, and I wish more people would focus on that potential (including NVIDIA's marketing division...)
  • I wish more of you guys had seen the conference last night. nVidia's CEO is kind of creepy. I'll see if I can find a video somewhere.
  • So many of these things would be useful, but only for people with gigantic houses with many people living in them. A tablet is really good if you just want to check a web page upstairs while the real computer is all the way in the basement. This NVidia thing is good for playing a game on a secondary television when the primary entertainment center is in use, or far away.

When you live in two rooms and the main entertainment center and computer are steps away, there's no point.
  • You know what this is? The WiiU controller done right.
  • There is literally nothing done right with that my dude
  • There is literally nothing done right with that my dude
    Please elaborate? It sounds like it'll be awesome for hobbyists, what with its cool features, interesting hardware to manipulate, and a totally open platform.

• A tablet is really good if you just want to check a web page upstairs while the real computer is all the way in the basement. /blockquote>

Or if you have a big laptop and don't want to carry it to the coffee shop, but want something bigger than your phone to read stuff on.
  • IF you have a big laptop. So it's only a good purchasing decision if you already made a bad purchasing decision earlier?

There are so many computing devices of every shape and size these days. People have to stop thinking one device at a time. Instead find a whole set that will cover all your use cases.
  • The idea of this Shield is okay, but I think it's trying to be too many things... and yet not enough things.

I think it would be great to have every video output of every device able to route wirelessly to any screen. Route the PC output to the TV. The DVD output to the iPhone. Route the iPhone output to the laptop screen. Send the iPod Nano screen to a small window on the iPad in the next room. And in all these cases, route control decisions back to the original device.

Once all that kind of thing is in place, routing the output of a PC to a handheld device with a controller make a lot of sense... which is what the Wii U is doing already, in a limited sense.

I think the Wii U, Apple's Airplay, the NVIDIA Shield and similar devices are showing the future. But instead of wrapping these things up into paired devices, the standard needs to be set. Like a HDMI cable.

Please, every tech company, just work together on this. Support the minimum standard (like USB) and have extra options for more important or exclusive paired devices.
  • Once you can route video from anywhere to anywhere, you only need one actual CPU to route video from. Everything else will just be a collection of input/output devices stick together. Imagine having one engine in your house burning fuel powering your cars and motorcycle around town, which are nothing more than wheels and seats.
  • The idea of this Shield is okay, but I think it's trying to be too many things.
    This is something ProfPangloss and I were talking about last night (we're both cautiously optimistic about the thing). We don't have a word that accurately describes what Shield is. Phone? No, not at all, save for the fact that it runs Android. Tablet? No, but that's part of it. Mobile gaming platform? Sure, but that's still an understatement. HTPC/set-top box? Well, there's nothing "box" - or even "set-top" about it, because it's a mobile device too.

nVidia has a vision, and one that truly has potential, but it's going to be a challenge for them to have the simple marketing message that will get units out the door and into people's homes.

nVidia has never made gadgets as consumer electronics before. They've made chips for other peoples' gadgets, sure, but this here is uncharted territory. Can they do it? I hope so, but it's gonna be hard to sell it to people, especially at the price ranges speculated by some tech journalists.
  • Once you can route video from anywhere to anywhere, you only need one actual CPU to route video from. Everything else will just be a collection of input/output devices stick together. Imagine having one engine in your house burning fuel powering your cars and motorcycle around town, which are nothing more than wheels and seats.
    Yes, that is the future of electric cars. You charge them at home, so just one power bill, and that gets you around town. Where your analogy breaks down is for any time you leave town. What good is a CPU at home or in the cloud if you have no cellular or wireless access to it?

The point about letting anything be the computing device and anything else being the display and control device is so you can take shit with you. Like I do, all the time. When I fly, there might be expensive wireless internet, but nothing like the bandwidth to send 720p video from my home server. Now imagine that for everyone else on the plane.

In this situation, I want to be able to stream videos or games from my pocket to the screen on the back of the seat in front of me. Lots of new planes have USB sockets to play video files from hard drive devices, but can't display anything from an active CPU-containing device. Why not?

On a cruise ship, internet is 70 cents per minute, and dead slow. Good luck streaming anything for long!

Come on Scott, think bigger, not just about living rooms.
  • That's just for now. Real 4G can get close to 100Mbps. ISPs and wireless carriers are holding all of us back.
  • edited January 2013
    I think it would be great to have every video output of every device able to route wirelessly to any screen. Route the PC output to the TV. The DVD output to the iPhone. Route the iPhone output to the laptop screen. Send the iPod Nano screen to a small window on the iPad in the next room. And in all these cases, route control decisions back to the original device.
    Sort of a side note, but I believe that's one of the major technologies that Intel has been working on/made a big point of mentioning at their CES talk - WiDi.
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • ProfPangloss is right - Every Ultrabook will soon be required to have a touchscreen and support WiDi.
  • Portable use will probably entail one processing unit and several displays. You have a handheld phone sized screen, glasses, and a tablet screen, but they're all "powered" by the processing and battery power of, say, a belt you always wear.

Batteries are the primary limitation, as they have been for many years. Battery technology is holding everything else back.
  • For anything other than a tablet, a touchscreen is laughable.